Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh! Someone sat on my hood?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Arrwin - Sorry to hear about this. It's really painful to hear of things like this.
I bet if you have some imperfections on the hood, then a bodyshop could sort it out for you.

Cheers

Phil
Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g_murray
...This is why I put a 'dash-camera' in the car whenever I happen to leave it somewhere where it'll be out of my sight for a while....
details? pics? I could use something like this where I park
Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's maddening. Hopefully a stray meteorite plummets to earth and destroys the culprit’s car...
Forget the car...I hope the meteorite destroys the culprit, and her fat pimp boyfriend!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW...David in LA...you HAVE to put a different pic in the bottom of your sig. Everytime I see a post from you I start to justify $6k for the Gemballa wheels...so FREAKin gorgeOUS!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guyz,
I use this:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/mi...spycamera.html

I just plop it in between the two rear speakers so that it looks 'forward'. The angle is wide enuf that it can pick up (pretty much) what's going on by the driver and pass door. Obviously if you park your car 'head in' by a wall - then you should face it from the dashboard rearwards. It looks like an air-freshner and the hardware to connect it to your PC (so you can save the files as an .avi or mpeg) is readily available.

Gerry
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yesterday I took my car out for a couple hours, parked in a garage where I had a cool solo space. When I got back to it, there was a little kid running around the lot while his mom and her friend loaded their car- really dumb as this kid was like 2 and there were cars pulling in and out. I hoped that he didn't touch my car- when I got to a gas station I found streaks in the paint from someone's fingers and thought it was that kid- then I found a hand print from someone bigger. It should all buff out, just one more reason not to park the beast.

I have never in my life found the need to touch someone else's car without their permission. Even in admiration, I view it in respect. Why the hell can't others do the same!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi guyz,
I use this:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/mi...spycamera.html

I just plop it in between the two rear speakers so that it looks 'forward'. The angle is wide enuf that it can pick up (pretty much) what's going on by the driver and pass door. Obviously if you park your car 'head in' by a wall - then you should face it from the dashboard rearwards. It looks like an air-freshner and the hardware to connect it to your PC (so you can save the files as an .avi or mpeg) is readily available.

Gerry
There are too many variables to calculate the capacity from the page. About how many minutes of video, on high quality, will this thing record?

It's certainly interesting...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia
It's truely bizzare how things seem to gravitate toward our 911's when nothing like this would ever possibly occur if we were driving something else
Actually, this kind of stuff only happens to people who have nice cars and actually care for them. Never happens to people who have really nice cars and don't care. They could leave them in a battle zone and come away without a scratch. But leave your nice well cared for 993 at the grocery store for 10 minutes and you're sure to have a visit from the insurance agent who will be out to take a report on your "totaled 993."

Sorry, am I being to cynical?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPS
Forget the car...I hope the meteorite destroys the culprit, and her fat pimp boyfriend!
I'm sure she has a fat pimp boyfriend, that is close to what I thought of when I first read the thread.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
No -- not at all. I was parked in the alley behind my friend's house, in his driveway, where a couple of his roommates have parked their cars for several years now. Nobody has ever suffered the slightest damage, not even from a falling acorn. I leave my car there for a couple of days, the neighbors have a BBQ, and some drunk bimbo decides to have a Corona on the hood of my 911. Perfect, right?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, this kind of stuff only happens to people who have nice cars and actually care for them. Never happens to people who have really nice cars and don't care. They could leave them in a battle zone and come away without a scratch. But leave your nice well cared for 993 at the grocery store for 10 minutes and you're sure to have a visit from the insurance agent who will be out to take a report on your "totaled 993."

Yes! That is completely true, esp here in NYC.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 1
There are too many variables to calculate the capacity from the page. About how many minutes of video, on high quality, will this thing record?

It's certainly interesting...
Hi,
I use the following settings and this is what I 'get':

Four fresh AA rechargeable batteries - 8+ hours of 'on' time.
Video capture set to 'Movement Detection'
Video capture set to highest quality
Video capture set to 'fastest'
Capture set to 'record loop'

With 256Mb memory - it can store approx. 17,000 frames that have been 'captured'. Believe me that's a lot. I can usually go back a full week and still see images that have been captured (7) days ago (before they get over-written in loop-mode.)

The unit's ability to allow you to search on a day/date and time basis is excellent. Since I leave it on 'motion detect' - - I can VERY quickly (i.e. in minutes) go thru' what happened in a 'day' - rather than having to e.g. with a VCR, press FF to 'skim' thru boring/inapplicable sections.

One drawback -- it EATS up regular AA alkaline batteries. (So get rechargeables!).

Gerry
Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

S-o-o-o-o-o...Following this train of logic, if we want to avoid parking lot damage, we should drive nice cars but not care for them? Just wondering...

Terry

Quick Reply: Argh! Someone sat on my hood?!