Sponsored by:

Argh! Someone sat on my hood?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:30 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Default Argh! Someone sat on my hood?!

Hey guys,

So I drove the 993 to tennis last night (Flushing Meadow - Home of the US Open) it being a perfect night and all. I was there for 2 hrs. and I come back with a HUGE concave dent in the middle of my hood!! Seemed like someone sat on it or something! I was really shocked this happened as I've never had a problem there before. So...I opened the trunk and to my ultimate surpise I was able to "pop" out the dent just like that. As it was too dark to see, everything appeared OK...but I will have to check more closely when there is light. I really hope there are no permanent creases. If there are, is this something a PDR guy can fix? I never realized the hood was that...flexible?

Perfect timing I guess as I see there is a group buy for the DASSchild. Maybe it'd be wise to invest in one. Thoughts?

Thanks for listening to my rant....
Old 06-25-2008 | 11:52 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

check it during the day to see of there is any other damage. In any event, if there is, find a good PDR guy. I have a local guy that I use that has removed dents from my 993. They can do some pretty amazing stuff. He also fixes windshield chips. He just fixed a windshield spider in our van.
Old 06-25-2008 | 12:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
check it during the day to see of there is any other damage. In any event, if there is, find a good PDR guy. I have a local guy that I use that has removed dents from my 993. They can do some pretty amazing stuff. He also fixes windshield chips. He just fixed a windshield spider in our van.
+1

That really bites... some people.

Like Kika said, a good PDR guy can do magic... We had a regular ol' PDR guy remove a ding in our Chevy Avalanche door and you cannot see it. And it is a dark blue color. I mean, I am picky and I cannot find the repair from any angle in any light.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Arwin,
That's maddening. Hopefully a stray meteorite plummets to earth and destroys the culprit’s car...

As for your smilie (), I think you want one that is missing r,t,m.

Andreas
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:03 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Arwin,
As for your smilie (), I think you want one that is missing r,t,m.

Andreas
Agreed. Not sure there's anything in the manual about idiots with no respect for other's things! Wait, is there?...(reading manual more carefully...)
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:12 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I will have to take a look at it under light next time I see the car. I'm really hoping all is well and if not a PDR guy can take out creases.

Would that DASSCHILD product even have prevented this or does it mainly protect against items inside the boot?
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:17 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arrwin

Would that DASSCHILD product even have prevented this or does it mainly protect against items inside the boot?

I highly doubt it...it does not seem to add to the structural integrity of the hood. I would guess it only protects against dimples from hard objects in the boot.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:21 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I highly doubt it...it does not seem to add to the structural integrity of the hood. I would guess it only protects against dimples from hard objects in the boot.
That's what I thought. Still nice to have that protection tho.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
+1.

Sorry to hear of the issue, Arrwin.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:28 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Could be worse....I once was parked on the street in Pacific Beach CA overnight at a girlfriend's place that was only a few blocks from all of the bars and clubs. Came out in the morning to find shoe prints on the hood, windshield, and roof of my (at the time) beloved Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX turbo. Nice dents in the hood and a collapsed roof where the perpetrator had been. Car sat so low he figured he'd run right up the front, over the roof and onto the grass alongside the car. I was stoked to say the least......
p.s. She was worth it tho'
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:31 PM
Leucadia
Racer

It's truely bizzare how things seem to gravitate toward our 911's when nothing like this would ever possibly occur if we were driving something else....

I mean, think about it, how could that have possibly happened? What are the chances that a couple of Japanese sumo wrestlers playing tennis that night and they were arguing over the match on the way back to thier cars? Crazy.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Thanks for the reply guys. I will have to take a look at it under light next time I see the car. I'm really hoping all is well and if not a PDR guy can take out creases.

No, only protects the inside, primarily its role is to protect the underside if yout put something too large in your trunck and you slam the hood down on it.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:51 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Someone at a BBQ decided it'd be cool to have a beer while sitting on the hood of my car. Large concave dent. And believe me, even after popping it out, when you see it in daylight, you will see lots of ripples. Lots. I used it as an excuse to buy a fiberglass hood and turn a little misfortune into a lighter car.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:52 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi Arrwin,
First, sorry to hear about this. Yep, it's maddening.
Yes, the 'trunk' is VERY flexible in the middle. Sometimes when I'm polishing and doing the 'karate-kid' fore-aft movement I sometimes 'boing' the center (between the Porsche elblem and the front air inlet) and it just 'boing's back out again!
This is why I put a 'dash-camera' in the car whenever I happen to leave it somewhere where it'll be out of my sight for a while. If some numbskull parks beside her and decides to let jealousy get the better of them give me a going-away-present (of a dent) or throws his sumo-wrestling buddy on the trunk -- I have the video.
Gerry
Old 06-25-2008 | 02:04 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Someone at a BBQ decided it'd be cool to have a beer while sitting on the hood of my car. Large concave dent. And believe me, even after popping it out, when you see it in daylight, you will see lots of ripples. Lots. I used it as an excuse to buy a fiberglass hood and turn a little misfortune into a lighter car.
Oh man...definitely not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully it came out better than your's. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad you made it a positive.

Quick Reply: Argh! Someone sat on my hood?!