Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Question about replacing all the exterior seals..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My door handle seals are about done...Anyone else done replacing?
D-I-Y instruction or should I take it to my indie?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The shop doing my cab top replacement tells me the one of the vertical seals by the driver's door needs replacing and is the cause of the wind noise I was complaining about. Per him, the local dealer quoted him apx. $360 for the seal. I asked if the seal had to be installed while the top was being installed they said no, it could be done later. So, once I get the car back and see exactly which seal they're talking about I'll be making another call to Sunset....
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Yes, those are the ones. I think around $10-15 each depending on who you buy from.

If you open your door and peer up into the trailing edge of the front fender you'll see some allen head bolts that attach the fender to the cowl and go through the seal. You have to remove all of these and then gently pry the front fender away from the cowl with a large flat head screwdriver - then remove the old seal, insert the new one and bolt up .
I was getting a little frustrated trying to do this today, I even loosened or removed what I thought were all the bolts that held the fender to the body trying to get that section of the body to open up to give me room to get the old seal out. Then I realized it was my expectations that were wrong, I followed Matt's directions and gently wedged a big screwdriver in front of where the back bolt went and it gave me just enough room to pull the old gasket out.

There was a good amount of crud between the body sections so I cleaned that up with car wash soap and water and dried what I could with paper towels. The new gasket has a felt like substance that makes it easy to slide between the 2 body panels (damn, that was a good idea) so installing was fairly easy. The only (slightly) challenging part was getting the front part of the gasket, the part that sits under the hood/trunk cover to seat correctly and even that wasn't bad at all.

If I can I'll take photos when I do the left side, hopefully tomorrow.

So far:
Bumper cover is off, cleaned up much of the major gunk, still have ways to go
Both ballast resisters have been replaced, couldn't do the oil cooler w/out removing bumper cover
Battery removed and checked, installed/rerouted vent tube
Oil & filter Change (Swepco, not that anyone cares about oil on this board)

To be done:
Bumper cover caskets and foam pieces
Hood shocks
Mirror gaskets
Clean MAF
....I'm sure I've got more parts I haven't put on yet

Quick Reply: Question about replacing all the exterior seals..