Sponsored by:

StopTech Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 203 Posts

I am running upgraded brakes on my TT - I looked at the stoptech - but they werent big enough IMHO.

The other issues is pad fitment/availability - It maybe different in the US - but down here it means a lot to be able to have pads in stock when (inevitably) you need them quickly...

I was also more comfortable with OEM type construction (monoblock and mounting) as opposed to aftermarket - but that is just my opinion.

best,

Simon.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I have RS big reds on my 993 (Chuck had them on the car when I bought it).
I coulnd't imagine needing any more brakes than what I have at the moment, And I'm tracking the car hard. I use CF pads on the track and Porsche OEM pads on the street.
It is so easy to get replacement pads and rotors since they're OEM. Never have to worry about that part either.

One thing to consider when you talk about Audis and BMW's etc. Those cars weigh a ton compared to the 993. You just don't need to those huge discs on this car. They will just make your car handle and accelerate worse. Granted they look great but so do the RS brakes...

Can't go wrong wit OEM Porsche parts!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Pan58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your opinions and supporting positions on Brake selections... I have made my decision:

Guess I will have to Buy all three brake kits and try them out LOL Just kidding..

All your input has put me in a position of re-thinking my strategy leaning towards Porsche Big Reds at this point due to cost and having too much brake with the other systems would just be a waste of coin on my part..
Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Chris,

You can NEVER have too much brake.... it just doesn't happen.

When i did my upgrade - i looked at a lot of options - and decided if I was going to do it - I would do it once and do it properly.... More can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=993TT+cupcar

Simon.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Chris,

You can NEVER have too much brake.... it just doesn't happen.

When i did my upgrade - i looked at a lot of options - and decided if I was going to do it - I would do it once and do it properly.... More can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=993TT+cupcar

Simon.
I disagree. While a full up tt may need more than tt/RS, a normally aspirated 993 won't. The 355/355 setup is quite good for the heavier and faster cars. 993GT2 EVO used 380/322.

The theoretical ideal setup is just barely big enough to do a race w/o fade. My ideal is just big enough to not have to mess w/ for 2 or 3 track days in a row.

Porsche has been very good at sizing brakes on their RS series cars
'73 2.7RS only needed S&M on 282x20/290x20
'83 SC/RS did fine w/ 930 Brembos on 304x32/309x32
'90 964RS did fine w/ 993/S4& small Brembo on 322x32/299x24
'95 993RS did fine on Big Reds& 993/S4 Brembos on 322x32/322x28

the turbos are obviously a whole nother ball game
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pan58
Thank you all for your opinions and supporting positions on Brake selections... I have made my decision:

Guess I will have to Buy all three brake kits and try them out LOL Just kidding..

All your input has put me in a position of re-thinking my strategy leaning towards Porsche Big Reds at this point due to cost and having too much brake with the other systems would just be a waste of coin on my part..
Chris if I were you I'd go with the Porsche Big Red. Here's why: you never stated why you want bigger brakes so I assuming it is just an upgrade or "bling thing" correct? Not that there is anything wrong with that but you don't need more performance for a street car than stock 993 brakes (b/c you can out-brake 90+% of the cars on the road). Big Reds are Brembos and have "Porsche" writted (stickered) on them. These brakes are more prestigious than Stop Techs. They cost a little more and quite possibly they are worth it. If I am looking to buy 1 of 2 different but equal 993s and one has a Porsche BBK and the other has a Stop Tech BBK, I'll go with the Porsche Big Reds any day.
Good luck,
Kevin
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Pan58
Instructor

Kevin,
I do plan to do a couple track events, and maybe even a autox or 2.. I am still deciding the direction to go and I thank you your input... I am looking at a possible used set of Porsche Big Reds right now ..
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Big Reds...or as they are also called TT brakes are not the same as RS brakes. The fronts are the same, but the rears are different in piston size, due to the difference between a NB and a WB (TT). If you put on Big Reds, your bias will be off, and you might even get worse braking than you have. You might want to do a search, as this has been discussed extensively, as can only happen with such expertise on the 993 Board ;-). Big Reds are easier to find and less expensive that RSs. Make sure your mod takes you where you want to go.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill:

Sorry to hijack here, but that car of yours sure has come along way since it was here in Louisville. I remember sending you the PM on the mechanic and the PPI. It looks great. Sorry again to hijack the thread.

Mike
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

BIll,

Agreed - i was more talking about the comment "overbraked" as opposed to RS cars which already have big ger brakes by default. Chris is going to upgrade - might as well get the best he can for the $$$ involved.???

Chuck,

Sorry - but need to correct you.

The RS rears are ONLY for RS cars and have nothing to do with being WB or NB - but more to do with (a) track oriented car and (b) Lighter and (c) see (a) + (b) together.

The people on the TT board that have used TT fronts and RS rears have NOT experienced too much of a difference (but it is there) and think the bias is actually better for the track.

But agree with the comment that your mods need to take you where you want to go....

Simon.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
The people on the TT board that have used TT fronts and RS rears have NOT experienced too much of a difference (but it is there) and think the bias is actually better for the track.

But agree with the comment that your mods need to take you where you want to go....

Simon.
RS brakes apply ~40% more rear bias than tt, I agree that it's a good thing for a properly setup car, All the 964 and 996 guys are dying for more rear brake
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Simon,

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that the larger rear tires and wider track caused more rear braking to occur with WB, and that the increased rear bias for the RS brakes compensated for the narrow track of the NB. RS cars are NB, I believe.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Pan58
Instructor

Okay some new info and new questions: Big Red Brakes is the decision Pelican Parts version..

1) Do any of you think I should up grade my M/C?

2) What about the Rear Brake Regulator upgrade or not? ( My Car has option M224 ABD)

See attached Chart from :Porsche 993 The essential Companion"
Attached Images  

Last edited by Pan58; 06-28-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

To change the m/c you have to change to the electro-hydraulic boost system used used on the RS and turbo models, very expensive to do and not needed at all. The stock 23.8mm m/c is fine.

W/ M220 abd/lsd option you have 4 channel abs w/ 2x 40bar p/v. If you use RS rear leave the p/v. If you use tt rear calipers you will want to chnge them to 55, 60 or no p/v
Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Pan58
Instructor

Well to end this discussion I have purchased a set of Big Red Brakes and I am sur to be happy with them thanks for all your advice and comments.

Quick Reply: StopTech Brakes!!!