Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: BMW hardtop Conv. w/ MAJOR failure - Updated

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hm...Just Googled it. Turns out FORD stands for : Futuristic Outomatic Roof Disappearer.

Chris, thanks again for the education. The things you learn from Rennlisters.

CP
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
Hope there's no milk trapped in the trunk!
I'm damn glad she doesn't put anything in the trunk and gets upset with me when I do.

Yes, I wasn't thrilled about this purchase but just didn't have any definitive data I could use that would talk my wife out of buying it. She would not be denied. My biggest regret is not leasing it for a 3 or 4 yr term. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Default BMW is monitoring this thread too....

BMW has been monitoring this thread too, details later.

On Wed. afternoon my BMW Service Adviser and I were finally able to hook up after playing phone tag. Short version, techs and BMW know we didn't do anything to cause failure. Failure was caused by the pins in top of the (inside) trunk that go up and into the bottom of the rear windshield and latch the windshield were supposed to release an drop into the trunk (?) but only the right one did, the drivers side (left) one didn't. This caused a daisy chain of events when the rear windshield got cockeyed and threw the right side arm assy's into contortions causing the roof sections to wind up in the angles you saw in the photos.

BMW Germany decided the best course of action is to replace the entire top! A new hardtop assy will be assembled at the factory in Germany, painted at the factory in Germany and shipped to the dealer in Nashville! Short of replacing the entire car for us this is by far about as good an outcome as I could expect from any manufacturer. It will take about 9 -12 weeks for the top to get here and we were told the top was back up and on the car in the full up position and we could take it but not drop the top. However, I told our Serv. Adv. that neither my wife nor I would be comfortable driving the car in that condition and would be leaving it at the dealer until it was repaired. Our SA said she understood and would make a loaner vehicle available whenever we needed it.

My wife works in Dallas during the week and is usually only home Fri. afternoon thru early Mon. AM but for the next 3 weeks she'll be visiting siblings in other cities so BMW is really getting off easy on the loaner car issue in my opinion, but I'm grateful BMW & BMW of Nashville is working with us on resolving this problem and I'm VERY happy the top assy. isn't going to be taken apart and reassembled by service techs at the dealer who have never done one before!

Overall I think BMW is doing the best that can be done with this repair and I commend them for it.

Now, from the bet you didn't know dept.: BMW has people reading this forum! I got a call this afternoon from a young lady from BMW's Internet Research Dept. She said she saw this post on the Rennlist Forum about my 328 Conv Top failure and was asking if there was anything she could do to help resolve the issue! I informed her of the info above but that I hadn't had time to update the RL posting but I was very satisfied with BMW's handling of the situation and that I would be updating my RL posting as soon as I got a chance.

Then I asked her how she got my name and phone number from a RL posting? She said she tracked it down through BMW's database and that it wasn't too hard since our car is the only HT Conv. to have had such a failure. (pretty much as I suspected) I do however find it interesting that BMW is monitoring a Porsche forum for BMW information and that they would let that information be known to the forum members.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense for a car company to monitor the majority of car related boards. Thats pretty nice though that they monitor this enough to pay attention and get ahold of you about it. I had something like this problem happen with Nissan and they were less than accomodating. Obviously cars aren't alll going to be 100%, but the fact that BMW is trying their hardest to fix the problem is a really nice move.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I would not mind working for Porsche moinitoring net car Forums.

CP
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that's pretty ridiculous ... they should either replace the car with a new one or give you the use of an equivalent convertible for the three months they expect to keep it off the road. You bought a convertible to be able to drive it with the top down, and it's summer, which is convertible season.

Imagine if you had leased the car, and your payment was $600 a month ... you would be out $1800 worth of use of the car due to a warranty issue. Suppose Porsche said, "Here, you can have your 996 back for three months until the new transmission comes in, but you can't use reverse."

I think I would be looking into the state's statute regarding lemon laws, because in Massachusetts, there are a certain number of days the car can be in the shop for repair before they have to give you a new one or your money back.

This is a design flaw, plain and simple, and to say it's going to take 9-12 weeks to repair it is unacceptable, in my view, not when you have paid a lot of money for a luxury car.

You are a very reasonable guy!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by vjd3
I think that's pretty ridiculous ... they should either replace the car with a new one or give you the use of an equivalent convertible for the three months they expect to keep it off the road. You bought a convertible to be able to drive it with the top down, and it's summer, which is convertible season.

Imagine if you had leased the car, and your payment was $600 a month ... you would be out $1800 worth of use of the car due to a warranty issue. Suppose Porsche said, "Here, you can have your 996 back for three months until the new transmission comes in, but you can't use reverse."

I think I would be looking into the state's statute regarding lemon laws, because in Massachusetts, there are a certain number of days the car can be in the shop for repair before they have to give you a new one or your money back.

This is a design flaw, plain and simple, and to say it's going to take 9-12 weeks to repair it is unacceptable, in my view, not when you have paid a lot of money for a luxury car.

You are a very reasonable guy!
I see your point and if we were going to be using it I would agree with you. But in our situation, right now, a loaner car would just be taking up space in my garage. And as for payments, there are none. I'm actually glad I have one less car so I can have room to wax the other 3 inside, they are way past due.

But your point is well taken, I'm sure they won't give me any grief when the time comes and I ask for a loaner.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I called our dealership's Service Advisor (SA) Tues. to let her know my wife would be back in town this Fri. morn. and we would be needing a loaner car for the w/e (she would be returning to Dallas crack o' dawn Mon.). At that time the SA informed me that the new replacement top was in and the techs were in the process of installing it. They had no idea how long it would take to replace since it was the first time one had been replaced in the field and they wanted to take their time and do it right. I agreed with her wholeheartedly. She said no mater what they would have a car available for us on Fri. morn., it MAY be her car or it may be a loaner car but we will have a vehicle.

Again, I'm very pleased with how BMW and BMW of Nashville have handled this issue so far.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

glad to hear they are taking care of you.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Actually, the Mitsubishi GT3000 VR4 Spyder (now that's a mouth full) was the first car I was aware of that came with an electric hrad top, then the Lexus SC430, then MB SLK, then SL, then BMW, then GM Pontiac, then Maxda Miata, then Volvo, etc. etc.CP
Oh, no doubt the electrical hard top predates that Volvo, but I think that was the first to have this particular scheme where one piece will flip backwards onto the rest of the roof, followed by folding. It just seems absurdly complicated and asking for trouble, trouble Mr. Bill got, unfortunately.

Glad to see, however, that you're being treated properly.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I thought I had updated this thread but obviously I hadn't.

The (1st) new top arrived about 3 weeks after the event, BMW had not shipped the required "jigs" to align the top but they didn't take too long to get in. The tech's took a couple of days to get the top on and aligned, apparently most of the body panels from behind the doors back have to come off to get this job done.

Now for the bad news, as would make sense to me, the top is shipped/installed folded (collapsed) as it would be stowed in the trunk. After the install with alignment (done with the jigs) is done only then is the top "closed" on the car. When they went to close the top they found that during shipping one of the pins had rubbed a fingernail size spot in the painted portion of one of the top sections! Apparently BMW didn't package this thing anticipating a overseas freight shipment.

To the dealership's credit, rather than trying to patch/paint and pass it off on us they contacted BMW Germany who then decided to build/ship another new top. I talked to the lead tech who showed me the car and the worn spot and explained why they couldn't have seen it before the top was installed (I understand completely). He was in remarkably good spirits considering all the work he had done knowing he was going to have to do it all over again, quite a friendly, courteous tech. He hadn't put all the interior panels back on but all the exterior body panels were back on and it looked fine in the 5 min. I looked at it.

I expect the 2nd top should be here in the next week or so if the timetable is the same as the one they met on the first top.

Had a 535xi loaner 2 weekends ago and a 335 coupe this weekend. Wife didn't like the wagon.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Default Update: This is cursed....

Since my wife is back in Dallas I took the 335 loaner back to the dealer (they did NOT ask for it back, I just don't need it) today. When I dropped the keys off with our SA she gave me the bad news, FedEx delivered the 2nd replacement top and it was almost destroyed in shipment. She said it was so bad the rear window was even smashed. Fortunately she said the top was heavily insured (maybe I should get a cut for my troubles). Unfortunately, now they have to order a 3rd top for us.

I think I'm going to have a talk with the service manager to let them know if the 3rd time is not the charm I will be expecting the car to be replaced.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

You have been way, way, way more patient than I would be under the circumstances.

At this point BMW should cheerfully and swiftly replace your wife's car with a shiny new one without you having to ask...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Given the story, I am not sure I would EVER want to have one of them off warranty. BMW is doing a great job trying to help you, but they failed to follow the KISS principle and are paying a dear price.

I'd ask them to give you a new M3..probably cheaper than 2 more tops and the 3 gone....

The minute I saw one of those tops on a friend's car, I immediately was concerned about the future.

No value on lease buyback cars for resale IMHO. At least to those that think about the cost of repairs in the equation.

BMW, I know you are reading this. I love your cars (even the self destructing ones like this one and some e46 m3's..). But give the guy a new car.

jb
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I think I'm going to have a talk with the service manager to let them know if the 3rd time is not the charm I will be expecting the car to be replaced.
Bill:

I applaude your patience and agree if they can't get it right (even though the damaged tops weren't really their fault) a new car is a must. I also think BMW is handling this ordeal the best way they can, but there comes a time, and that time is now, that they have to wash their hands of this and step up for the customer. Good luck and keep us abreast of the resolution.

Mike

Quick Reply: OT: BMW hardtop Conv. w/ MAJOR failure - Updated