Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BMW hardtop Conv. w/ MAJOR failure - Updated

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^^That M3 would look better if it were lowered just a little bit more.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
I have a friend who bought one of those cars and from day one it leaked water in rainstorms and car washes. BMW tried to convince her that it was "normal," kept the car for alomst 2 of the four months she had it and then finally took it back and gave her a 5 Series car at cost. They indicated that there were major problems with this particular model and that BMW was going to have to "eat" a bunch of them.
Other than the electronic oil level sensor that I know isn't close to accurate (because I changed the oil myself at 1,500 mi., long story, for another thread) we've had no problem with this car. Of course I hand wash it, it's never been in a car wash and I don't know how many serious rainstorms it's been in since I rarely drive it. She only lets me drive it when it needs gas.

Of course after this it will probably leak like a sieve....
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Imagine if this happened out of warranty!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
^^^^^^^^^That M3 would look better if it were lowered just a little bit more.
Very funny, I get your point. I did raise the car but it's still quite lowered. My point was in agreeing with someone else regarding the complexity in the new top. I've heard of others having issues, although nothing as catastophic as the one displayed in this thread.

The E46 has a nice top with a glass window which was a huge improvement over the plastic stuff they used to produced - like Porsche's. Not sure if the 993 has glass or plastic, but I'd never own one with the latter.

Several of the other new BMW's still have the soft top so I don't know what they were thinking.

Regarding my suspension, fully adjustible (KWv2, f/r Eibach sways, ARCAs, GC-RSM) and on PS2 and the car rides as if on rails and it can hang with the best of them.

The car used to be a show/go car and I removed nearly $40k in mods but left the suspension and hopefully this year I'll be back in a 911.

Current height - HAHA

Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM
gonz911
Pro

How is she going to feel about dropping the top in the future? I'd be apprehensive especially if on a trip and far from home. I hope they find the issue and correct it to the extent they can provide some piece of mind. On the warranty side BMW is pretty decent to work with.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Too funny, thanks CP!

To make matters worse, yesterday was the start of that "special" time of the month so I've been walking on pins and needles around the house...I haven't been able to say or do anything right, as usual.

Oh, and today is our anniversary....

I hope BMW of Nashville will step up with a loaner by next Fri., I seriously doubt they'll have this fixed by then.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife dropped the top on our old 964 and it hiccuped and self-destructed and she won't put the top down on our 996. One bite of that apple was enough for her. I tell her not to worry it can't happen again but any top with solenoids and motors and such can get out of sync and turn into the self-destruct mode.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Stopped by the dealer (BMW of Nashville, only one w/in 50+ miles), talked to my salesman and the Service Adviser. They have the Shop Foreman and 2 other tech working on the car (I saw them working). At the present time they're just trying to figure out what caused the failure (makes perfect sense to me). From there they (and BMW) will determine what course of action to take with the car.

The dealership did not believe my wife did anything to cause this failure and doesn't believe anything in the trunk caused the failure. Of course I knew that but it was nice to hear them say it.

I was very pleased with the attitude and attention I received from BMW of Nashville. I have no concerns with them so far and if the entire process goes as it has to this point I will be very satisfied.

On another track, my wife has a co-worker who's husband has access to BMW's repair records nation wide. She sent him the link to my photos and the info on the car, he searched and found no record of any other failure like this. He told her it's not unusual for BMW, with a major failure on a new model, to buy the car back and return it to Germany for a detail failure analysis. I wouldn't mind that!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure this will not buff out?
On a serious note, I hope that all will be resolved to your satisfaction!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

good news so far - fingers crossed
Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Since Volvo came out with the original design (middle of the roof lifts out and flips back onto another flat part) I've simply assume common failures, but this takes the cake. I know the hardtop convertible has been a sexy idea for some time, but the nightmare of something like this happening out of warranty keeps me from every considering one until we've mastered cold fusion.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope there's no milk trapped in the trunk!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The Mercedes SL has had a hardtop for, what, 6 years now, and I've never heard of that happening.

Those tops are like little expensive German ballets, but man, when something gets out of whack ... that's truly impressive!

If it's engineered anything like the stupid iDrive in my girlfriend's 5 Series, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

But seriously, Bill, looking at that photo, I think it was pretty lucky it stopped where it did, because you can definitely see someone being seriously injured with that thing so close to the front seats and all that metal twisting itself around. I think BMW will be pretty thankful it wasn't a lot worse, and I would expect them to act accordingly on your behalf.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Actually, the Mitsubishi GT3000 VR4 Spyder (now that's a mouth full) was the first car I was aware of that came with an electric hrad top, then the Lexus SC430, then MB SLK, then SL, then BMW, then GM Pontiac, then Maxda Miata, then Volvo, etc. etc.

I won't buy a soft-top convertible, but I certainly can live with a electric hard top. Thus I tried to read extensively on how these tops work. I read plenty of posts about leaks and squeaks. but never one like this where the structure is actually contorted under operation. Seems like one of the moving parts got jammed in place, and the motor was powerful enough (through continuous operation) to twist the whole top assembly into the final shape. This is pretty scary stuff. I thought logically, the motor would stop when it hits a certain resistance level (ala power windows)

Electric hard top aside, after owning an E39 M5, I cannot imagine owning any new(er) BMWs past warranty. There are tons of goofy stuff to break in them newer BMWs these days.

CP
Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNrMPrH4Pl4
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM
gonz911
Pro