Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does EBD compare to BMW DSC or Mercedes ESP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does EBD compare to BMW DSC or Mercedes ESP?

I've been driving my new (to me) C4S to work every day, and taking the scenic route. I just hopped back in my 99 BMW 540i, which now feels like a Buick with a stick shift. I can't believe the difference.

Comparing the two cars side by side, and also driving my wife's C320 li'l AWD wagon got me thinking: does anyone know the differences between the different electric traction control systems of the three marques?

I can tell you that the BMW ABS is crap; they start pulsing far before they need to. On the other end of the spectrum, the Porsche ABS is wonderful. I could stop faster in the BMW if I could turn the ABS off, but the Porsche is far smarter than me when it comes to braking. Mercedes is in between.

But the goal of all of the traction systems -- EBD, DSC and ESP -- is to use the ABS and other sensors to limit excessive wheelspin, by reducing power or applying brakes right? Are there any more detailed differences in the way in which they achieve that goal?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

EBD on a 993 is completely useless. It only works up to 20 mph. Plus, in all my time owning 2 993s, I've never once had it come on. I think it might come on in snow like if you were at a standstill.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has come on (flashed green light) in dry pavement. I think it works.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the BMW system was a benifit living where the snow and ice can come down frequently. I could feel the system working to keep the car straight, but it had its limits and traction control is a system you do not want if your stuck, it limits the wheels spinning.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

EBD is not a stability control system. It is a cheap substitute for a Limited Slip Differential. If it detects wheel slip, it applies the brake to the wheel with less traction. It can be useful on snow and ice. It works only at low speeds however.

Quick Reply: How does EBD compare to BMW DSC or Mercedes ESP?