Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New stereo in 993 S -- Need Avice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:13 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

As said put Focal's 165 Utopia's in the front doors with dynamat and you have a good sound.

Ciao
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianR
Sorry bro, you bought very cheap/average equipment. Should sound ok, I would bet the system is not tuned properly, I have not met a "car stereo" installer yet that truly knew great sound

Christian
Christian
You hit the nail on the head.
A 911 is a hard car to get a good sound out of
unless you go to big extremes like Rhino. The Alpine 9886 is not the problem, that much i can tell you. It's the speakers/amp combo. The installer could have at least offered you some Alpines to suit. I've had great sucess with the brand.
But bass is always the issue, and an inexpensive underseat sub will fill the gap.
Alpine or Clarion do the job. Not expensive, easy to install and they work pretty well.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Blaupunkt San Fransico CD player in mine, no additional amps, Infinity Kappa mids and tweeters and it sounds okay, what makes it sound good is a small active subwoofer behind the driver's seat. I could've probably gotten the thing under one of the seats, but I have mine set at the lowest they'll go and it wouldn't fit but it can simply be unplugged and stowed in the boot in the blink of an eye anyway. I used a Blaupunkt one to match the system, inexpensive and sounds great when you get the set up right.

See link: http://www.blaupunkt.com/uk/7606305001_main.asp

Listening to Los Lobos "How Will The Wolf Survive" this morning and it rocked!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Good bass is a combination of speaker and amp. The speaker must be capable of reproducing the low frequencies, and the amp must have both the power and dynamic range.

low frequencies by definition have a longer wanvelength, thus need a larger speaker to be reproduced accurately. A larger speaker requries more power to be physically moved.

Subwoofers tend to be 8-10" in diameter. Power should be in the 80-100W range, obviously more is better.

While subwoofers as large as 15" and bigger are available, they are certianly impractical for a 993. Not to mention tend to get "sloppy" I have had good sound in my Porsches with 8" subwoofers. My personal preference is tight bass. 10" subwoofers tend to start sounding a little sloppy to me, and requrie larger housings, 8" subs fit reasonably well.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

You just cant get good sound without the sub in my opinion. I had high end fronts and smaller rears in my 96 cab (including the alpine head unit and an amp up front) but wasnt happy with it - even blew the fronts as they tried to dial too much base into them and they lasted 1 day. Had an 8" sub installed in the front passenger well that can be removed if need be quickly, however there is no passenger 95% of the time so makes no difference to me.

With the addition of the sub it had the combination of solid mid/highs (with serious volume) and the low end from the sub. Sounds good even at 70mph with the top down.

You need a sub or i dont think you will ever be happy with it.....
Old 06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

I have a McIntosh Amp mounted in the front storage area which powers some Dynaudio Esotec Speakers. The head unit is a Kenwood which is iPod and Sirius compatable which powers the rear speakers. The rears are more background noise anyway if you ask me. It is distortion free up to a level that drowns out the engine/exhaust (no cat and unmuffled mufflers) and the system cost less than $2k. Amplifiers make all the difference in the world as it relates to sound quality. Prior to the MIntosh AMP I had an Eclipse which sounded terrific but nothing compared to the Mc with the exact sames speakers.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have pictures of where to dynamat? Does it really make that much difference in a 993?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino
I had a system installed a year ago and could not be happier. I used all Morel speakers and two Alpine amps. I also installed two subwoofers. The cost was more than what you paid but again, it sounds great even at high speeds. I replaced the arm rests and had these made to fit a 6 inch subwoofer on each side. Here are a few pictures of the subwoofer location.
Rhine, that install (and all your other custom work) looks very well done. I have a big, shallow subwoofer right behind the passenger seat, which blocks the room a little.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I have a McIntosh Amp mounted in the front storage area which powers some Dynaudio Esotec Speakers. The head unit is a Kenwood which is iPod and Sirius compatable which powers the rear speakers. The rears are more background noise anyway if you ask me. It is distortion free up to a level that drowns out the engine/exhaust (no cat and unmuffled mufflers) and the system cost less than $2k. Amplifiers make all the difference in the world as it relates to sound quality. Prior to the MIntosh AMP I had an Eclipse which sounded terrific but nothing compared to the Mc with the exact sames speakers.
That is some nice equipment. No idea how you got everything for under $2k using Mac and Dyns, though!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Ok, I cheated a little as I didn't include the cost of the iPod/Sirius adapter.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 AM
travanx
Pro

Because those are the expensive pieces obviously

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Ok, I cheated a little as I didn't include the cost of the iPod/Sirius adapter.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

The dynamat makes all the difference, the sound is much better and the bass is improved.

The dynamat is placed behind the speakers in the front doors.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
travanx
Pro

how much dynamat do you suggest? i sealed the complete doors on my last car. but didnt think the 993 really needs that much dampening. it will take away all the beautiful road noise.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Just a square behind the speakers is enough.

Have fun!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by travanx
Because those are the expensive pieces obviously
Not really, I think they ran about $80-$100 each. I could have ran the iPod through a cable which would have ran just a few bucks but I wasn't too keen on having a missle in my car. I control it through the head unit which does not offer the same degree of control as the iPod itself but with playlists it works great.

Quick Reply: New stereo in 993 S -- Need Avice