Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valentine1 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008 | 01:19 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Default Valentine1 Upgrade

Has anyone paid for the upgrade to their older unit? Mine is over 10 years old now and I understand that improvements are available. The upgrade is actually replacement with a new unit. Has anyone that's done the upgrade noticed improvement in sensitivity, fewer falses, or other features that you think are worth the cost? Upgrade cost is less than 1/2 the $399 price of buying a new one for the first time.
Old 06-13-2008 | 01:33 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Input your serial number on their Upgrade page to see what you actually need:

http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/
Old 06-13-2008 | 02:22 PM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My V1 broke, just stop working. Cost to send in for repair was $55 and upgrade was $85 (which included repair). So went with upgrade. They sent back a new (actually used) unit (not my original serial #). So far I haven't noticed any difference, but only had the upgraded unit for 2-wks.
Old 06-13-2008 | 04:43 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Just typed in my serial number, upgrade for mine is $279 + shipping.

Better to sell mine on eBay and buy a new one.
Old 08-17-2008 | 05:34 AM
judgejon
2nd Gear

we've had several V1's over the years, all wired in to various cars. It's correct that the "updating" is just sending out a newer unit at a lower cost. I wasn't aware the these might be re-conditioned ones. My current V1 is an older model, but the web-site info says it's not really worth it to upgrade it. My wife has a newer one, and the biggest difference is that the newer model is a little slimmer, with smaller suction cups on the windshield mount. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about an exchange just to get the smaller one. I like the fact that the company tells you to not send them money, and that its not worth it to get an upgrade.
Old 08-17-2008 | 10:19 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by judgejon
....It's correct that the "updating" is just sending out a newer unit at a lower cost. I wasn't aware the these might be re-conditioned ones. .....I like the fact that the company tells you to not send them money, and that its not worth it to get an upgrade.
I think you hit upon why Valentine says its not worth it.

Not worth it to them to recondition and sell at lower cost.
Old 08-17-2008 | 03:17 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have heard from many V1 owners after the upgrade they were getting tons of fales alarms. My V1 rarely goes off, but when it does usually it is not a fales alarm. For that reason I have not sent my unit to get upgraded.
Old 08-17-2008 | 04:14 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I sent mine in for the POP update. Had a lot of false alarms around the Chicago area.

Haven't noticed any around Reno, NV.
Old 08-17-2008 | 07:44 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I have heard from many V1 owners after the upgrade they were getting tons of fales alarms. My V1 rarely goes off, but when it does usually it is not a fales alarm. For that reason I have not sent my unit to get upgraded.
Originally Posted by grouchy
I sent mine in for the POP update. Had a lot of false alarms around the Chicago area.

Haven't noticed any around Reno, NV.
This is what the V1 upgrade page said about my V1:

"V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8. This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser with just one exception—it lacks POP Protection. Of interest to those who drive in Europe, the latest V1 version also has a Euro Mode.

Upgrade Recommendation: You have a sophisticated security system, and we’re cautious about recommending an Upgrade. If you believe in keeping up with technology, particularly if the POP Mode is being used in your area, then go ahead. V1’s approach to the POP problem is superior to all others in the industry. If you drive in Europe, you will appreciate our new Euro Mode which improves protection on photo radar as it is used in the E.U."

Doesn't sound too convincing.
Old 08-17-2008 | 08:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canysmc
This is what the V1 upgrade page said about my V1:

"V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8. This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser with just one exception—it lacks POP Protection. Of interest to those who drive in Europe, the latest V1 version also has a Euro Mode.

Upgrade Recommendation: You have a sophisticated security system, and we’re cautious about recommending an Upgrade. If you believe in keeping up with technology, particularly if the POP Mode is being used in your area, then go ahead. V1’s approach to the POP problem is superior to all others in the industry. If you drive in Europe, you will appreciate our new Euro Mode which improves protection on photo radar as it is used in the E.U."

Doesn't sound too convincing.
I got the same message. For a five year old unit, that's not bad.
Old 08-17-2008 | 10:24 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

When they fix the laser detection so Trailblazers (brake lights) and Lexus' (cruise control) stop setting it off, I'll be first in line.
Old 08-17-2008 | 10:49 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
When they fix the laser detection so Trailblazers (brake lights) and Lexus' (cruise control) stop setting it off, I'll be first in line.
X2

My V1 is almost ten years old, and it has saved me hundreds, probably thousands, of dollars. My only complaint is that there are a few vehicles that inexplicably set off the laser. It's a small annoyance for an otherwise superior product.
Old 08-18-2008 | 12:52 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robin, I recently upgraded my V1 (1-month ago) and noticed no change with false alarms.

Quick Reply: Valentine1 Upgrade