Sponsored by:

Brad Penn review

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brad Penn review

I thought it might be useful to some to get a "real world" update on using Brad Penn which I put in my car a couple months ago (mixed 10w30 and 20w50 to get 15w40).

We all can debate it's chemical contents versus other oils on the market until our fingers fall off (you all know the post I'm referring to!) so I won't get into that. However, I am confident that it is a solid choice if one is uncertain about the Mobile 1 currently on the market and doesn't want to sink almost $10/quart into Redline, a full synthetic, like myself. Remember, BP is a partial synthetic with only about 10% synthetic.

The difference I have noticed between BP and Mobile 1 is that the BP has run a bit hotter when the engine is pushed. During normal driving or slightly spirited jaunts, there is no difference. However, when running at fast speeds with most shifts close to redline for extended periods, it definitely runs hotter. When I say hotter, I mean 9 o'clock or a touch above. The only time the Mobile 1 reached this temp was on very hot days and sitting in a traffic jam. I am interested to see what happens in the dead of the summer.

Hope this helps and please feel free to share your experiences.

Best,
Adam
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it's an issue?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

But remember, you're making extra horsepower with Brad Penn due to the whole heavier oil = less friction thing, so that might account for the higher temps.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prshguy
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it's an issue?
No, I don't think it's an issue. It might not be my first choice if I had a designated track car but for street/DE I wouldn't hesitate using it again.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
nikdog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed the same formula that flatsixforme used and havn't noticed a difference in temps, we have had extremely warm (95-98) weather here in the mid atlantic area and put it to the test this past weekend on a very spirited run , oil tempetures ran about the same maybe a little lower than what I have encountered in similar air temps in the past .So far I'm comfortable with the change.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I thought it might be useful to some to get a "real world" update on using Brad Penn which I put in my car a couple months ago (mixed 10w30 and 20w50 to get 15w40).

We all can debate it's chemical contents versus other oils on the market until our fingers fall off (you all know the post I'm referring to!) so I won't get into that. However, I am confident that it is a solid choice if one is uncertain about the Mobile 1 currently on the market and doesn't want to sink almost $10/quart into Redline, a full synthetic, like myself. Remember, BP is a partial synthetic with only about 10% synthetic.

The difference I have noticed between BP and Mobile 1 is that the BP has run a bit hotter when the engine is pushed. During normal driving or slightly spirited jaunts, there is no difference. However, when running at fast speeds with most shifts close to redline for extended periods, it definitely runs hotter. When I say hotter, I mean 9 o'clock or a touch above. The only time the Mobile 1 reached this temp was on very hot days and sitting in a traffic jam. I am interested to see what happens in the dead of the summer.

Hope this helps and please feel free to share your experiences.

Best,
Adam
Adam,

Did you record ambient temps with either oil? Driving differences could aslo account for any increase in temps.

Originally Posted by RallyJon
But remember, you're making extra horsepower with Brad Penn due to the whole heavier oil = less friction thing, so that might account for the higher temps.
Jon,

I'm not sure how a heavier oil creates less friction; I thought it was the other way around.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
rsa964
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brad penn

I also made the switch from Mobil to BP and have done several 1 hour commutes here in FL and have noticed no change in oil temp even when encountering traffic slowdowns.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsa964
I also made the switch from Mobil to BP and have done several 1 hour commutes here in FL and have noticed no change in oil temp even when encountering traffic slowdowns.
Hmm....maybe I am driving the car a bit harder as I get more comfortable with it!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

More heat is more friction, so less HP. The lower the oil viscosity, the more HP you get from less friction.

I just put some Amsoil Euro 5-40 in my C4, I'm getting another 3mpg, on the freeway, & it feels a lot more peppy. It has ZDDP, or what that stuff is in it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how a heavier oil creates less friction...
More heat is more friction, so less HP.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/406894-oil-and-hp-shootout.html#post5047192

Much like Chuck Norris, Brad Penn pays no attention to nature's troublesome laws.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I trust engineers!

Where are they?

There are people who are fluid engineers with 4 years of undergraduate work and 3 years of PhD work, and then go on to understand fluidity in application.

Those guys and gals aren't going to work for Brad Penn. They're going to work for Exxon Mobile. For much more money. Brad Penn can't afford them, and Exxon Mobile can.

Ask any engineer. I'm all for giving the small guy some help. I love the underdog. But you simply can't out-engineer Exxon Mobile in the oil department. You might have to carefully shift through their offerings to find the equivalent of an old favorite, but you can't beat them in their pure research.

Matt
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

But you simply can't out-engineer Exxon Mobile in the oil department.
Sure, given the same parameters. But you tell the brilliant XOM PhD to make the best oil he can for 35¢ a quart, and you tell the state school lab assistant at Brad Penn to do the best he can for $2 a quart, and it's not really the same.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Sure, given the same parameters. But you tell the brilliant XOM PhD to make the best oil he can for 35¢ a quart, and you tell the state school lab assistant at Brad Penn to do the best he can for $2 a quart, and it's not really the same.
+1
Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come clean Adam.

You forgot to mention when your temp gauge hit 9 o'clock you had been running ***** to wall with a bunch of Lambos & Ferrari's.

FWIW-I am running the same BP blend as Adam and no temp differences yet. I'll do some more researchthis weekend.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mix 10 30 with 20 50 and you get 15 40?? Since when did oil go to math class? I'd like to see a sample of that sent to Blackstone Labs to see what the weight really is.

Quick Reply: Brad Penn review