Sponsored by:

Erratic Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
microfly
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Erratic Convertible Top

When pushing the button on my 1997 911 Cabriolet convertible, it slowly comes down. If I stop and push the button again half way of top down, it picks more of normal speed to take it all the way down. The same event occurs on the put up.

Can anyone provide me with advise, troubleshooting or warning if this is a sign of some parts (?) is going out.

Thanks...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by microfly
When pushing the button on my 1997 911 Cabriolet convertible, it slowly comes down. If I stop and push the button again half way of top down, it picks more of normal speed to take it all the way down. The same event occurs on the put up.

Can anyone provide me with advise, troubleshooting or warning if this is a sign of some parts (?) is going out.

Thanks...
I think the speed acceleration that you see is that the second part of either up or down operation is faster as the motors are getting some help from gravity.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's either gravity or a sign that you're about to lose a cable or get your motors out of sync, which could result in one side of the top going down while the other side is frozen, which could then result in you snapping a convertible top bow or twisting the frame, which could then result in you shelling out thousands of dollars.

But it's probably just gravity.

But it it were my car, I'd loosen the big bolts and put the thing up and down by hand. Should last forever that way.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
But it it were my car, I'd loosen the big bolts and put the thing up and down by hand. Should last forever that way.
Did you do that to your car? I think I like the sound of that. Nothing wrong with my top right now (knock on wood), but I have always be leary of power tops. Is it possible to covert it to manual with the exception of the header latches?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
microfly
7th Gear

Thanks for everyone's feedback. VJD3... you bring an interesting point, regarding " But it it were my car, I'd loosen the big bolts and put the thing up and down by hand. Should last forever that way. "

How do you go about doing that? Can you provide or direct me to instructions? I have had concerns that one day the top will freeze or stop half way.... Doing it manually, that I like. Any information that you can provide, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
95cab
Instructor

Behind the round black plastic covers in the panels next to the rear seats are the bolts - they are right next to the speakers. Remove the covers, you will see said bolt. Find the right wrench and keep it somewhere in the car. Fuses, cables, transmissions, etc. can all go - this way you can at least get it up or down. Latches on the windshield engage with sensors, so they operate fairly separately from the motor in the back.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian is wise. I went a step further and actually removed the transmissions, cables and the smaller arms that connect to them but it's not really necessary.

The lug wrench in the tool kit fits those bolts, BTW.

You only need to hit the dash button until the top unlatches, and when you are ready to close the top. The "!" light will come on when the top is down because the car thinks the top is up but not latched.

I've had a couple of cabs, and in both cases, converted them to manual after having top troubles. But when I got my current car, the top had been replaced by the previous owner, but not really done correctly, so I got the best top guy in the Boston area to work on it for me; he removed the canvas, straightened it out, replaced a seal that had been botched by the previous installer, repaired the elastic on the metal bar that flops back to make the top fold properly, etc. I had him adjust and lube all the cables and transmissions, and really get it working right. It was fine, just like a Swiss watch ... and then three months later, the stupid thing jammed going down. I said the hell with it, pulled all that crap out and will leave it that way. You really are playing Russian roulette with that thing otherwise, eventually, it's going to jam.

Quick Reply: Erratic Convertible Top