Sponsored by:

Motor or Tranny Mount Weak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor or Tranny Mount Weak?

Anyone ever noticed they were having a problem taking the car out of gear (manual transmission) when on a hill or on a steep driveway? I was wondering if it might be either a motor mount or transmission mount that has weakened or broken. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are talking about pulling the car out of gear before starting it when on a hill or driveway...then when parking the car, engage your emergency brake (tightly) with your foot firmly on the brake before releasing the clutch (ie do not allow the car to roll while still in gear after stopping). This procedure will minimize load on the transmission with the car in gear (on the brake instead). Pulling it out of gear when starting again should be as easy as on level ground.

If your issue is while driving then I'm not sure but don't suspect you have a bad mount.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM
quasr
Racer

The problem I am speaking about I encounter either in steep hilly country or on a steep driveway. If I am easing along in first or second gear and while on the steep incline (up or down), I have difficulty pulling the shifter out of gear. Almost like either the motor or transmission is shifting and putting a bind on the shifter linkage. It is nothing I cannot live with but if something needs replacing....
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have your clutch slave cylinder flushed. I had the exact same issue and in conjunction with a lwf/RS clutch install and my slave cylinder was replaced. Problem went away. A good flushing may help.

My problem was so bad that if I was parked on an incline/decline and tried to take the car out of gear, it was damn near impossible without feeling like I was going to rip the shift lever out of the column.

Last edited by JasonF; 06-03-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Black993
Drifting

I get this too, but w/o being on a hill, and usually second gear when coming to a stop light. I know my clutch is going so hoping thats all it is....

Quick Reply: Motor or Tranny Mount Weak?