993 Forum 1995-1998

Question for 993 Convertible Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
rmani
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question for 993 Convertible Owners

I swore after spending a lot of time in a 1995 VW Cabrio (sister's car) that I would never buy a high mileage convertible because the car just seems so unstable. The top leaks so much air even after being replaced and the car just has so much shake and body roll. I understand that the 993 is a totally different league of car, BUT convertibles are structurally a lot less stiff than a coupe and consequently must be subject to similar wear and tear forces that cause this excessive shake and roll.

I really love the 993 and it's the only Porsche I can afford right now and I really want to get one, but I'm just worried I'll regret buying a convertible. So my question for all the cabrio owners out there is how does your car feel compared to a coupe when you drive it? I am referring to higher mileage cars (80k+).

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you should just get a coupe.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is solid with 57K miles on it. Very minimal flex and only noticeable if I get on my driveway at an angle. But I feel this as well on 993 coupes that have I have driven. My car also has 18" wheels and very stiff H&R springs with Bilstein's HD shocks which accentuates the feeling.

A lot of the extra 100 lbs of the Cab over the coupe is due to all of the reinforcements that they made to the chassis to make it as stiff as the coupe. Drive both so you can feel the difference, if much.

The VW Cabrio chassis and the 993 Cab chassis is not comparison.

However, if this is going to be your daily driver or think of tracking the car, I would choose the coupe. Less noise on the highway for commuting, and no need for a roll bar for the ocassional track day.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:09 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really have to want the cab. too much hassle with the top fitment, the motors, pulleys, zippers, worn headliners, splitting plastic windows in the cold.. wait that was me... we're talking about you.

i love the cab. buy i put up with all the complexity for CA driving with the top down. i didn't notice a significant difference in roll vs the c4s i owned. and the cab looks pretty cool from the back with the top down.

i dont think stability will be your problem but you still sound like a coupe guy.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by lthatch
I think that you should just get a coupe.
Beat me to it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmani
I really love the 993 and it's the only Porsche I can afford right now and I really want to get one...
Perfect storm!!! For a daily driver, however, I think you'd want a coupe. The cabriolet is not really "practical" unless you can leave the top down most of the time. The cab is more useful if you have a pair of monkeys riding in back becuase you have more room to strap them in (or strap them down, depending on moods). I find the boot is somewhat awkward to install, yet you need it (or something similar) to prevent the folded top from being trashed by wind turbulence. Top-up, a cab is still fine to drive plus you hear more engine sound than in a hardtop, and I think that's a good thing!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_993_cab
For a daily driver, however, I think you'd want a coupe. The cabriolet is not really "practical" unless you can leave the top down most of the time. The cab is more useful if you have a pair of monkeys riding in back becuase you have more room to strap them in (or strap them down, depending on moods). I find the boot is somewhat awkward to install, yet you need it (or something similar) to prevent the folded top from being trashed by wind turbulence. Top-up, a cab is still fine to drive plus you hear more engine sound than in a hardtop, and I think that's a good thing!
It's funny... I haven't told my wife this (she'd kill me), but I was just thinking the other day that I should have gotten a Targa instead and the main reason is the boot cover. It is a bit of a pain to put on everytime you want to put the top down. Mine's probably even a bit moreso as it's leather and seems pretty tight. The canvas ones I see elsewhere look like they may be more "loose".

So I'm toying around and quietly looking to see if I come across a decently priced, comparable Targa. There's a few folks at work possibly interested in my C4 Cab should I happen to find one.

Also as others have said, if you plan to track the car, I'd lean more towards a coupe (not the Targa due to the weight).
Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really depends on how you value the sunny days when everyone else looks at you wishing they had a cab. I am in So. Cal so it is an easy choice. Mine is not a daily driver but it has 79K and everything is tight: top, car etc. I think if you are asking the question get a sun roof or a targa.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 626 Likes on 322 Posts

I have owned my cab from 80k miles to now 157k miles over the past 6 years. Obviously, we drive it A LOT. Is it noisier than a coupe? Yes. Do I have wind noise? Yes, but not obnoxious. Does it leak? NO. Never has.

I had to replace the frame and canvas about 5k miles ago. It was all original factory so I figure 150k+ on it was not a big deal. The frame only broke because a cable broke (I didn't know) and pulled the top up wrong and snapped a beam. And the canvas just plain wore out.

I RARELY put the boot cover on, only when I know we are going to be out a long day with friends on a drive and can park it with the top down. If you take care of the window and use the proper cleaners, it will look fine forever (mine still looked new when we replaced it)

I sell a lot of coupes and cabs. I have a ton of miles on my car, but I just can't get over the enjoyment I have with the top down, so I haven't found a reason to really get rid of it yet. It's a compromise: some wind noise for the open air feel of driving.

Now, if I wanted to track or autocross it, I wouldn't have a cab. Yes it flexes, and you would need a roll bar to take it on the track. But I don't, so it makes the perfect driver.

Drive both, then decide what you want out of the car. It's a personal preference, definitely....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
rmani
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the input guys. To answer some of your questions I do not plan to track or autoX the car, nor do I want to use it as a daily driver. With gas prices going through the roof I have a nice little hyundai that gets me around just fine, but I feel like I need something nice to drive on the weekends and occaisonally if I have a dinner date or something. I've always dreamed of owning a porsche and I'm not really a convertible guy, but everytime I see one I always think to myself that it would be nice to see that parked in my garage.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then the cab is the way to go.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 626 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by rickg87
Then the cab is the way to go.
+1 go with the cab. You won't regret it.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're getting some great input from everyone. I have a cab w/90k miles. So far, no issues with the top. I don't use it as a daily driver and usually leave the top down most of the time...I drive it as much as I can. Boot on now, but I do drive home from work witout the boot...nice to put the top down to unwind from work. Driving with the top down is a great experience...the sound is awesome, really puts you in touch with the outdoors. However, it is an additional element to deal with on an already complex car.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have 85K Kilometers on mine and it is still as solid and squeak free going over railway tracks as it was new. Great all around car with top up or down. Replaced rear window 7 years ago and otherwise just regularly maintained. I too drive without cover but only in town at less than 80 kph otherwise I always cover up for highway driving.

If you find a clean well maintained car you won't regret it.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

No regrets so far. I'm on my second top (first one lasted 11 years) and it is just as good as when it was new from the factory. My first P car was a cab ('89) and since then I've been a convertable person. If you're not a convertable person, owning one could be a pain in the a$$.

Quick Reply: Question for 993 Convertible Owners