Stereo Upgrade - Built in Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade - Built in Bluetooth

Hi all,

Just finished swapping out my old Alpine head unit for a new Eclipse CD-3200 unit with built-in bluetooth capability. At first I was hoping to add the Bluetooth adapter to my Alpine unit, but that turns out to be $200 and the reviews on it were quite negative. I also wanted a unit that has a built in microphone so I don't have to wire anything else to the visor or dash. The Eclipse seems to fit the bill very nicely, with a built-in microphone in the head unit.

As most folks in California know, the new cell phone law goes into effect July 1st, so for fellow Rennlisters who don't like the Bluetooth headsets, this is a very slick unit that keeps everything looking fairly "stock". I rarely make calls when I'm driving the 993, but this is great in case I need to take an emergency call while on the road ......

I'll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

-Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Not sure if anyone is interested in this Eclipse unit, but here are the pics as promised. The only drawback is that the unit sticks out a little more than I expected, and the trim ring around it is not quite as black as it should.....

Last edited by mike993c2s; 04-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I had the same thoughts about adding the bluetooth adapter to my Alpine, and read the same poor reviews. I looked at some other bluetooth head units, but 99% of the head units out there just look out of place in the 964/993 interior. I settled on keeping my Alpine (its the least offensive looking to me, though still not optimal) and got a jawbone bluetooth headset (useful also when outside the car, but only when no one else is looking!). I also think the headset gives me better sound quality than a mic/speaker system would, as its tough to hear much above my cup pipe! Anyways, I'm actually impressed with the look of your Eclipse unit...much cleaner face than many of the alternatives.

Oh, and the trim ring, do what i did with my Alpine...pop it off and rattlecan it flat black. Makes the transition from the dash color to the head unit's color more appealing. Also, let us know how that baby performs in sound quality!

Last edited by ChaseN; 06-03-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Look ok to me next to original, I recently installed a very similar Alpine head unit into my now sold 964. I had to run the USB/Ipod cable into the glove comparment, have you done this? I can not spot the USB plug but I do see the USB label....
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that does look pretty good for a non-stock unit. I still can't bring myself to change the stock one out for some reason!

I too use the Jawbone and it works very well, it just looks terrible.
Funny, until I wrote that I never noticed that I would rather have something ugly on my face, than have something ugly on my dash

Priorities I guess
Old 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tip, ChaseN. I'll get myself a spray can and make that ring black...... And yes, the unit does have a USB connection. The cable comes out of the back of the unit, so I routed it to the glove box. I also purchased the IPod adapter, which is actually a small box that I also installed in the glove box.

Had a chance to fiddle with the unit some more today. Transferring my contacts from my phone (a Samsung Blackjack) turns out to be more of a pain, as the phone doesn't have an option to just send *all* contacts. I had to do them individually. Call quality coming out of the speakers is quite good, and at the other end, people tell me that they could easily tell I was in the car, but the sound quality was acceptable. Obviously, it won't be the same as a headset, but I have always felt funny driving around with a headset on (yeah, different priorities).
Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Looks great....I have an Eclipse also.. I painted the plastic bezel. looks better flat black..
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking of installing the same Eclipse CD3200 in my 993 but was concerned that the motorized fold down face plate would not clear the lower dash knee pad. So my question is, does it clear when the face plate is down to load in CD's and how does it sound? Thanks for your reply.

Darren
Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I hate the Bluetooth headset so I just purchased the Motorla T505 Wireless Bluetooth handfree, which just clips to my visor. It has a built in FM module so you can run through your FM Channels. Really nice because you can take it out and use it in any car. Retail is $139.00
Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm going to hook this up to the stock 220/TP head unit
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/sp...-free-kit.aspx
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the T505. Totally wireless and the size of garage door opener. You can probably get a better deal on ebay.

MOTOROKR T505
Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
I am thinking of installing the same Eclipse CD3200 in my 993 but was concerned that the motorized fold down face plate would not clear the lower dash knee pad. So my question is, does it clear when the face plate is down to load in CD's and how does it sound? Thanks for your reply.

Darren
Darren, not a problem at all. Sound is good overall.... obviously this depends on your speaker and amp setup also. The bluetooth setup works fairly well - the only problem is that people have a harder time hearing me because the car's pretty loud inside. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, thanks for the information. Now I can go ahead and buy it with confidence. My set up so far as speakers and amp consist of CDT Gold seperates in the door with 4" CDT's in the back parcel shelf for fill and an Alpine PDX 4.150 four channel amp under the left seat. The sound is not that great considering the quality of the speakers and amp. I need more lower end bass to have a rich full sound but I do not want to add some big subwoofer box. Right now I'm running a Becker Traffic Pro head unit which I can not stand.

I see that your in the East Bay, so am I. In saying that where did you purchase your headunit from and were you happy with their installation?

Thanks
Darren
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
Mike, thanks for the information. Now I can go ahead and buy it with confidence. My set up so far as speakers and amp consist of CDT Gold seperates in the door with 4" CDT's in the back parcel shelf for fill and an Alpine PDX 4.150 four channel amp under the left seat. The sound is not that great considering the quality of the speakers and amp. I need more lower end bass to have a rich full sound but I do not want to add some big subwoofer box. Right now I'm running a Becker Traffic Pro head unit which I can not stand.

I see that your in the East Bay, so am I. In saying that where did you purchase your headunit from and were you happy with their installation?

Thanks
Darren
I got the unit through Crutchfield and did the install myself. I also painted the trim ring flat black so it matches the rest of the interior. I agree with you that without a sub, the sound is not going to be that great...... There are 2 other things about this unit - the iPod interface is a separate box you need to buy and install, and the phonebook/contact info needs to be transferred manually. PM me if you want to see the unit in person.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you run an Ipod with a Blutooth transmitter through the unit and avoid the USB connection in the glove box? that would be ideal

novice question: can this be set up with stock stereo components? ive got the hi-fi option on my 993 with the stock speakers in the front(crapppy, I know but I dont want to replace and rewire everything) and Boston Acoustics in the rear but Im sure the OEM 'stock' speaker leads are meant to go to the amp. can one use the oem speaker leads or would it require running all new wires and installing crossovers/etc.

thx

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade - Built in Bluetooth