Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone know the correct brake caliper bolt torque settings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Anyone know the correct brake caliper bolt torque settings?

I'm looking for the correct torque numbers for the bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together and not the ones that hold the caliper to the suspension. This is for the rear OE Brembo calipers on my '96 C2. A google search didn't turn up much. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

63 foot pounds
Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he is looking for the specs for caliper bolts holding the halves together, not the mounting bolts?
2ndof2, not sure you will find those torque specs... maybe someone knows what it should be. See below from shop manual:
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

You are right on Mark. In another related post someone explained exacty what it says on that page. I made the very unfortunate mistake of unscrewing the upper and lower bolts and now not sure what the correct torque is to put it back in. I have them at about 55 ft/lbs right now but no idea if its even in the ballpark of being correct. Just did this to one of the rear calipers and not both.

Bob,
Are you talking about the same bolts that show the little "X"s above or are you referring to the mounting bolts?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
You are right on Mark. In another related post someone explained exacty what it says on that page. I made the very unfortunate mistake of unscrewing the upper and lower bolts and now not sure what the correct torque is to put it back in. I have them at about 55 ft/lbs right now but no idea if its even in the ballpark of being correct. Just did this to one of the rear calipers and not both.

Bob,
Are you talking about the same bolts that show the little "X"s above or are you referring to the mounting bolts?
If you have bolts on another caliper that have not been touched, set your torque wrench relatively low (I'd say 25ft lbs) and work your way up slowly until you get movement before click. Sneak up on it. Not ideal and not exact but that would get you in the ball park, assuming the specs are the same on all bolts.
If you do, be sure and post it here! I'm sure someone will need it some day.

Bob was quoting the caliper mount torque specs, unless they happen to be the exact same value
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Mark,
That was a great suggestion but I had already tried that approach earlier today. I think the opposite side caliper bolt may have moved at about 70 lbs but not totally sure. Started to get concerned that I may be over torquing it so I stopped. I started to tighten one of the offending side's caliper bolts to about that level but since you can see the end of the bolt through the other side of the caliper it looked like the end was a few more threads deeper than the rest. So... I backed it down to about 50 or 55 lbs. Sure would love to know the correct setting is!

(Edit) Just found this little gem but not familiar with that particular forum. Definately is the same scenario.
http://www.clubstuttgart.net/archive...php?t-209.html

So it appears that I did actually notice some movement at 70. I'm going to crank them down to 70 lbs and call it a day. Still have two bolts I didn't touch on the caliper.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Mark,
That was a great suggestion but I had already tried that approach earlier today. I think the opposite side caliper bolt may have moved at about 70 lbs but not totally sure. Started to get concerned that I may be over torquing it so I stopped. I started to tighten one of the offending side's caliper bolts to about that level but since you can see the end of the bolt through the other side of the caliper it looked like the end was a few more threads deeper than the rest. So... I backed it down to about 50 or 55 lbs. Sure would love to know the correct setting is!

(Edit) Just found this little gem but not familiar with that particular forum. Definately is the same scenario.
http://www.clubstuttgart.net/archive...php?t-209.html

So it appears that I did actually notice some movement at 70. I'm going to crank them down to 70 lbs and call it a day. Still have two bolts I didn't touch on the caliper.
Sorry you ended up in this situation but that is great info.

Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my fading memory, I seem to recall someone has had these apart... Chris W. comes to mind for some reason... anyhow, looks like you got it done.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

The only trouble is that the torque wrench didn't break at 70 and the bolts seem to be farther in than on the other side from the looks of it on the outboard side of the caliper. In any case, I think with the lock-tight on it its probably going to be fine. Don't know the name of the torque wrench but its a neighbor's and its far better quality than my crappy craftsman one. Its time to watch Redwings hockey and have a beer with the neighbor....Cheers!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Just one more follow-up for anyone who makes the mistake I made in the future and does a search. I spoke with someone at Race Technologies which is the company Brembo's customer service sends you to if you have a question on OE calipers. They told me that the "official" answer would be to replace the caliper but having the bolts cranked down good with lock-tight like I did probably would be ok, just need to keep an eye on things like any leaking fluid. His description was that the two halves of these aluminum calipers are designed to be sort of squished together. The screws are in about two threads deeper than is evident on the opposite side caliper but I see no need to back them off now since I'm sure the aluminum threads have probably stretched ever so slightly and even doing so and retightening would probably mean I'd have to screw them that far in again when reinstalling to get some decent torque on them. I don't think these screws are going anywhere. Just going to clean up the calipers some more, slap on some new paint, decals, and clear, then call it an experience!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you got it sorted and took the trouble to get the information to make an informed decision. Many would've just banged the bolts back in, tightened the hell out of 'em and not thought any more about it.

Have a good time painting them, something I've been meaning to do for the longest time but it never stops raining round here for more than ten minutes...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There was a discussion HERE
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

So Jason, curious, per that other thread, exactly how do I tell which bolt I have? Now that they are back in with some lock-tight (which btw I have no idea what temp it can handle) I'm not planning on pulling them out again. I'm hoping they are the bolts that can handle the higher torque because I'm pretty sure they are in there at about 55 lbs torque.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what IS the torque setting for the two mounting bolts?

Quick Reply: Anyone know the correct brake caliper bolt torque settings?