993 Forum 1995-1998

Question about Muffler Removal / Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:08 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Muffler Removal / Install

I recently removed my mufflers and have a question about installing them. I did look at the DIY on pcarworkshop.

When I installed them there seems to be a bracket on the muffler itself, does this mate up to the bracket on the engine. Is this the right way to install them. The next question, is the exhaust of the muffler supposed to be lined up with the cut out on the bumper cover, or is a little off center. I do have big ovals, so I thought that the tips are supposed to angle out and follow the form of the bumper.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I recently removed my mufflers and have a question about installing them. I did look at the DIY on pcarworkshop.

When I installed them there seems to be a bracket on the muffler itself, does this mate up to the bracket on the engine. Is this the right way to install them. The next question, is the exhaust of the muffler supposed to be lined up with the cut out on the bumper cover, or is a little off center. I do have big ovals, so I thought that the tips are supposed to angle out and follow the form of the bumper.
Yes - the 'hook' welded on the muffler drops into the engine mounted bracket, and the stainless strap goes through the same bracket to secure the muffler. Once the connection is made between the CAT and muffler inlet, tighten the strap.
On a WB, the muffler exhaust pipe lines up ~35mm inboard of the rear cover center ..... this is corrected by the WB exhaust tip offset.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:03 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Thanks! That's what I thought. I got a lecture that it was installed wrong. That's why the tips have an angle to them.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

What tips do you have? If they look like this (see pic) with the mounting hole in the center, they are narrow body tips. They will mount up, but have to be angled out to fit, so they will not follow the bumper contour properly. Wide body tips have the mounting hole offset to one side.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by FisterD
What tips do you have? If they look like this (see pic) with the mounting hole in the center, they are narrow body tips. They will mount up, but have to be angled out to fit, so they will not follow the bumper contour properly. Wide body tips have the mounting hole offset to one side.
I have a wide body and I definitely have the WB tips.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I have a wide body and I definitely have the WB tips.
Then you, my friend, are golden!

Quick Reply: Question about Muffler Removal / Install