what are the pros and cons?

have someone tried to mod a C4 into C2

again any pros and cons?

please share your experience.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diff and everything adds +80 kg-s to C2. In most conditions only 5% from torque is directed to front. Some people dont see difference. My individual preference indeed is C2. More fun from light rear-drive.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The big pro for me is that I don't need another car when it snows. The 993 AWD effect is very minimal and the behavior of the car is much closer to pure RWD than it is to anything else. Like all 911's, the light front end will influence your handling far more than the occasional forward shift of a small amount of torque.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
henrymug
Advanced

how about the operation of converting the C4 into C2? tested?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't convert a C4 into a C2. It's not worth it. There are too many C2's on the market (at least here in the US, I presume you could still get a C2 in HK, if you wanted it) to consider bastardizing a C4--the cost of the change and the reduced value makes it cost prohibitive in my book.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a noticable difference in clutch, steering, and shifter feel between the 2. I prefer the (IMHO) more precise and heavier feel of the rwd version. FWIW, this is the only reason why I have not "upgraded" to a 993TT. You should drive both.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Don't convert a C4 into a C2. It's not worth it. There are too many C2's on the market (at least here in the US, I presume you could still get a C2 in HK, if you wanted it) to consider bastardizing a C4--the cost of the change and the reduced value makes it cost prohibitive in my book.
100% agree.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
100% agree.
I can't even understand why someone would purchase a MORE expensive car and spend MORE money to convert the car to be a kluge of a LESS expensive car. What the heck am I missing?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts
Default C4 much better in wet turns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have done a test using my friends C2 vs my C4 in the outlying seattle mountain roads on wet days...

there is a tremendous difference in the handling and stability of my C4 in these turns vs the let loose feeling of the C2

no doubt about it...C4 gets AAAA+++

weight difference of the added 80lbs to the C4 is a plus...911's have always been light in the front even with full tank of gas...added weight is a plus and you can feel it.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:48 PM
bobesser
Pro

I don't have experience with the C4, but, I wanted a C2 because it is lighter, a little faster, and has less stuff to break.

Bob
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
2nd993
Instructor

i've had both a 98 C4S set up perfect with a 3,8L engine upgrade etc. and my current c2 cab.
i prefer the c2 because its quicker in a straight line and feels lighter. the c2 cab walks away from the above 3.8L C4S in a straight line accelerating from from 50mph - 100mph. about a half car length every 5 seconds or so im guessing from memory.

the c4S did outperform the c2 in very twisty roads that kept both cars shifting in and out of 2nd gear.. but i also had a shorter 3rd gear in the c4s so that might have helped some. i can remember looking back at the driver in the cab looking like he was working a lot to keep up with me .

BTW the C4S also hops a little off the line when you treat it like a drag car. all the wheels hooking up a little differently on less than perfect pavement is a little noisy/dramatic. can't say i loved it. i think i prefer the c2
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
i have done a test using my friends C2 vs my C4 in the outlying seattle mountain roads on wet days...

there is a tremendous difference in the handling and stability of my C4 in these turns vs the let loose feeling of the C2

no doubt about it...C4 gets AAAA+++

weight difference of the added 80lbs to the C4 is a plus...911's have always been light in the front even with full tank of gas...added weight is a plus and you can feel it.

The weight distribution may be better, but higher weight is never an ally for greater performance. Comparing a C2 and a C4 on the track, I will always choose the C2. Now, for the street, I think the C4 is a more capable car because of the inherent active safety in all-weather conditions.

Make that C4 lighter or as light as a C2, I'll choose the C4 for the track. The inherent understeer is a boon for trail-braking.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,799 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by henrymug
how about the operation of converting the C4 into C2? tested?
Here's some good reading for you. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=2WD I contributed to the thread so you can read my comments and observations. And yes, you can disconnect the AWD system and turn your car into a RWD. It's a quick and reversible mod.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The weight distribution may be better, but higher weight is never an ally for greater performance. Comparing a C2 and a C4 on the track, I will always choose the C2. Now, for the street, I think the C4 is a more capable car because of the inherent active safety in all-weather conditions.

Make that C4 lighter or as light as a C2, I'll choose the C4 for the track. The inherent understeer is a boon for trail-braking.
+1000. I've had both a C2 cab and three C4Ss. AWD is hands down the right choice for a DD that sees variable weather with rain and snow. With good winter tires, you can outhandle any SUV in poor weather. If your car is a sunny-weather-only garage queen or track appliance, RWD is the way to go.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:45 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Henry - IMHO if you really want a C2 don't buy a C4 with the intention of converting it...just buy the C4 and leave it as is. In HK I personally don't think a C4 is necessary but it can be useful if you drive during the typhoons and heavy rain (I have driven in them in a C2 and have never had problems). The lighter weight of the C2 is also not a deciding factor since you won't track the car unless you will be shipping it to Zhuhai, so the most you'll twist out of car is spirited weekend drives. I think you should buy the best car you can find in your price range irrespective of C2 vs C4 IMHO. (btw if you are looking for a C2 cab I may be selling mine....trying to convince my wife that I "need" an Exige S)

BTW for those of you who are not familiar with the Porsche market in Hong Kong it's not at all like the U.S. or Europe, there are very few 993s...at any point in time there are probably only 10-12 for sale in the market - I would guess that there are now less than 200-250 993s in Hong Kong. I think it's actually easier to find a good Ferrari 360 than a 993. 993s that were owned by guys who wanted the latest and fanciest cars, were sold a long time ago and many of the good ones are in the hands of enthusiasts so don't come onto the market very often. There were very few originally sold (about US$150k new) and now there are even less - with the US$ depreciating the past 3-4 years a large number of 993s (esp the turbos) have been bought and shipped to Europe and especially Australia as the A$ has appreciated 100% since. Most 993s are also tips - there are very few 6 speeds here...from what I recall something like only 1-2 in 10 were manual when they were originally sold...aside from turbos I know of only one 6 speed for sale in the last 2 years.

Last edited by David in LA; 05-24-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM
henrymug
Advanced

hi, David.

thanks for the in-depth understanding about the market in hk.
either, I can't understand why people are paying more to import the C4 since day one when there is obviously no extreme weather conditions here.

yet, it is a supply economy now, it is very difficult to find a 6-speed 993, most of them are AWD 993 Turbos. It will be even more difficult to find a true 6-speed 993 C2. (over 90% of 993 are tiptonics)

that's why I am asking such a stupid question.

Quick Reply: c4 vs c2