Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone gone from a 993 to a Lotus Exige or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting responses. I was expecting better reviews, honestly. From what I know, the exige would be the ultimate road going track car, like a 911 GT3. I thought this would translate well to the 993 crowd, seeing as we pride our 993s for being a great driver's car.

Coming from an E36 M3 to a 993, I felt the 993 lacked daily practicality. That's now a non-issue now that the 993 is no longer my daily driver...so I guess I'm looking for a more modern, rawer sports car than the 993. Maybe the exige will fit the bill. Who knows, time to test drive.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry, I'm clearly not catching your drift here ... You find the 993 less practical as a daily driver than your old M3 - and your now looking at a toy car like the Exige? How would you define "practical" in this context?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRee
Sorry, I'm clearly not catching your drift here ... You find the 993 less practical as a daily driver than your old M3 - and your now looking at a toy car like the Exige? How would you define "practical" in this context?
+1
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Interesting responses. I was expecting better reviews, honestly. From what I know, the exige would be the ultimate road going track car, like a 911 GT3. I thought this would translate well to the 993 crowd, seeing as we pride our 993s for being a great driver's car.

Coming from an E36 M3 to a 993, I felt the 993 lacked daily practicality. That's now a non-issue now that the 993 is no longer my daily driver...so I guess I'm looking for a more modern, rawer sports car than the 993. Maybe the exige will fit the bill. Who knows, time to test drive.
Jimmy, All 993s are not the same and all 993 owners are not after the same thing. I have not driven a Lotus so I cannot comment on your specific question. I think I know what you mean though about wanting a raw experience. You are looking for something which is exciting and you are prepared to compromise on comfort and practicality. This is what I want from my 993 and why I changed it from a stock C2 to The Beast. I am sure that many 993 drivers would find my baby intolerable on the road with its stiff suspension (no rubber, except I am told for some piece in the KW components), notionally padded Recaros, minimal sound insulation, roll cage, no AC (lucky I am in Hong Kong which is cool & dry). But what I want is a blast ever time I take my baby out on the weekend for a drive just for the sake of driving. For me, there is classic style with my vision of a 993 RS club sport which few modern cars could give me including Porsche's and Lotus' latest.

After reading the opinions here, there can be no substitute for, as you note, trying those Lotuses.

Good luck & enjoy.

Last edited by TargaTango; 05-23-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRee
It was an issue when it was my daily driver. But as I stated, it no longer serves that purpose. I'm not looking for practicality any longer.

Chris, I might just go your route and transform my 993. Probably not as thorough as you did (limited funds) but I'll aim for something close. Again, beautiful car my friend.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM
leosayer
Racer

The exige is one of the closest things to a kart for the road. The turn in and cornering speeds are fantastic and in my experience, an average driver will be much faster around a track in a stock Exige than a stock 993, unless the track happens to be an oval.

My old 964 targa was faster in a straight line compared to a MK11 exige so I would expect the 993 to be faster still.

As a daily driver, well that's down to personal preference but I wouldn't consider it. Far too much noise, discomfort, pain getting in and out and claustrophobia.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KraZy007
...so I guess I'm looking for a more modern, rawer sports car than the 993. Maybe the exige will fit the bill. Who knows, time to test drive.
then what you really need is to figure a way to get a SR3 licensed for street use
Old 06-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lotus Exige

Bump.

Jimmy:

Peter Egan wrote up the Exige in the April issue of Road and Track. He gave it a very favourable review, and described the ride quality and comfort as "fine"; at least it seemed fine to him at the Mountain Motorsports Ranch track (he didn't drive it on public roads).

There are a variety of suspension options available for the car.

Rinty
Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Bump.

Jimmy:

Peter Egan wrote up the Exige in the April issue of Road and Track. He gave it a very favourable review, and described the ride quality and comfort as "fine"; at least it seemed fine to him at the Mountain Motorsports Ranch track (he didn't drive it on public roads).

There are a variety of suspension options available for the car.

Rinty

I would caution potential buyers about basing a ride assessment from a pure track experience. My 993 with Motons rides great on the track. Although, because of the excellent Moton design, it's not too punishing on the roads, there is a marked diffference between the two types of driving surfaces. A track has much smoother transitions and benerally fewer undulations than the street, at least around these parts.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
then what you really need is to figure a way to get a SR3 licensed for street use
And then it would suck on the track. I CANNOT imaging raising the ride height on mine, and running it on pedestrian tires. Might as well go get a..............Lotus!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, just in general, and I think you guys who own both have nailed it. I've got a couple of guys I know locally who use them quite a bit daily and from what I hear it's fun but so-so practical.

Now move to the track. As posted earlier, a 993 passed some at the track and not vice-versa at a DE. Uh, so? I'm usually passing most of them in my Spec Miata, and I SUCK driving that. In the hands of quasi-expert, his Exige (non S) was good for about 2:06 at Thunderhill (full track) and I think RA1's. Just a smidge quicker than my basically stock RSA on same tires. He had the opportunity to drive a couple of Exige S's and wasn't any quicker as the powerband didn't match the track, so he was happy to say with the normally aspirated car (Mooty's old one).

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a 993 to a Lotus Exige or vice versa?