Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from a 993 to a Lotus Exige or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone gone from a 993 to a Lotus Exige or vice versa?

I'd like to hear some opinions on how the two cars compare performance wise, daily driver duties, driving feel, etc. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife has a Lotus Elise with sport suspension, and I really hate riding in it. The seats have nearly no padding, and the shocks are ridiculously stiff. Terrible for street driving, I mean really terrible. A non-sport shock setup (or adjustable shocks) would be needed.

She also has an aftermarket exhaust, so you're ears are ringing after a long drive. Very very not good.

The car is tons of fun on the track, though. She dreams of getting that $15k turbo engine transplant that recently came out.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=TheOtherEric;5431471]My wife has a Lotus Elise with sport suspension, and I really hate riding in it.

Eric, do you realize how cool that is? Not the elise but the fact that she has one!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=CarreraX;5431594]
Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
My wife has a Lotus Elise with sport suspension, and I really hate riding in it.

Eric, do you realize how cool that is? Not the elise but the fact that she has one!

+1
Very cool.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

That is awesome. I bought my ex-wife an AMG Benz when we were together. Dropped it off at Renntech and picked up a monster. The car and the ex. She loved the car, but had a problem not hitting things. After her final bounce which involved a parked car, red traffic light, Miami's finest and some good wine I sold it and bought her a Scion xB. The Scion met the same fate with once again all of the previous parties and objects minus the red light. Have I mentioned that I am now single.... looking for a new wife?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
That is awesome. I bought my ex-wife an AMG Benz when we were together. Dropped it off at Renntech and picked up a monster. The car and the ex. She loved the car, but had a problem not hitting things. After her final bounce which involved a parked car, red traffic light, Miami's finest and some good wine I sold it and bought her a Scion xB. The Scion met the same fate with once again all of the previous parties and objects minus the red light. Have I mentioned that I am now single.... looking for a new wife?
After all that, why are you looking for a new wife? LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
After all that, why are you looking for a new wife? LOL
Being single is somewhat boring in comparison.......
Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Lotus Elise a few years back. My only complaint was getting in and out. It was a mission EVERY time, and I'm not even that tall.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't have a Lotus, but I got a ride in Jamey Rawling's Exige. I couldn't see driving it as a commuter car, too loud, too harsh etc... it is a track car off the showroom floor.
2 different animals.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think it even performs as well as the 993!? (At least not a single Elise or Exige has passed me and I've passed several of them at the track.) So why wouldn't you choose the 993 that you can also drive on the street? Just my .02
Old 05-21-2008, 12:06 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven quite a few Elsies and was fortunate enough to drive the regular Lotus Exige and the supercharged S version around the Lotus test track at Hethel....as well as on the local roads.

They have come a long way in terms of refinement since the original Elise of '96, but the regular Toyota engine drove me nuts,,,,,nothing under 4500rpm...then it would go and then go again at 6500........now the supercharged car was a different matter....much more like it, power available through the rev range and with the roof induction vent and superchrger screaming up to 8k rpm, it was quite an event......try the supercharged version it really could be an alternative to a 993 and I am comparing to the RS version.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KraZy007
I'd like to hear some opinions on how the two cars compare performance wise, daily driver duties, driving feel, etc. Thanks!

Okay, I have a 996 so I am not qualified to answer your exact question, but I have test driven an Exige S and gotten track rides in Elises courtesy of the local Lotus club.

The Exige would be a very challenging DD. It is comically hard to enter and exit. There is no rear visability apart from the exterior mirrors and, in this case, a camera image where the interior mirror was to be. The Elise was much much easier.

Performance wise, the Loti are like go karts. Tremendous at the track and hard to live with day to day. A few of the Lotus club guys drive theirs daily, or at least frequently, but a larger percentage have them as track cars. The engine is peaky, but it is very very fun. It is a different world from my car.

I would feel pretty vunerable in a car so small, but that is a personal thing.

The Lotus club is a lot of fun. Very friendly group.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I've been tempted since Feb to get an Exige S in solar yellow...not sure it would be a replacement for a Porsche though...might be an add-on instead
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The closest I came to driving an Exige was when my Esprit was in the shop, and one of the salesman practically begged me to take an Elise for a test drive. To put it plain and simple it is a toy, do not even think about a daily driver. The gearbox was aweful from what I remember, not precise at all and the power, well coming from an Esprit left something to be desired. But the handling was go kart like and I think the new Exiges are pretty good on power. You really can't compare a 993 to a Elise or Exige, they are just two totally different cars.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

To give you my 2 cents, I have both Elise and 993. I love them both. These 2 cars are very different. If I have to choose to keep one, I will most likely keep the 993 since it is more pratiacal. The elise is very hard to get in and out. The power below 4000 RPM is not so great, but off course u have an option to purchase the S/C kit which is avaliable through BWR or Setor111. The Elise has a very harsh ride (I do have the sport pkg) It should be compare to 1985 911 base on the ride than 993 which is alot more refine. After a ride in 993 and u get into the Elise, it make u feel 993 feel like Cadilac!!

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a 993 to a Lotus Exige or vice versa?