Sponsored by:

Gear crunch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had similiar issues with my 993 when it is cold, tried various gear oils and found the Mobil 1 Delvac to work the best. But for most part now I just go from 1st to 3rd when cold to avoid 2nd gear all together when the transmission is cold. Works the same way with the Ferrari, as all the Ferrari manual boxes will not shift to 2nd when cold. Once it is warmed up 2nd gear slips right in.

I found generally if the garage is more than 68 degrees I don't have a 2nd gear shifting issue.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gear crunch

There are so many little quirks....that can freak you out. Allfy
Allfy, I can relate to this. I'm a Porsche noob and was bringing my 993 home from Utah when, in the middle of nowhere, I noticed the left oil guage in the red. That took my breath away until I reviewed the manual. I also delayed my first gas stop for fear of getting drive locked out, and then there was that cute red wing light that's good for a few blood pressure points.

But the p. o., who is just a great guy and a member here, did give me an excellent briefing.

We shouldn't be flying these things without first reading the pilot operating handbook.

Rinty

Last edited by Rinty; 05-21-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I am about to purchase some Mobil Delvac for this exact reason... I get some crunching/notchiness into third gear.

Excuse the ignorance, but how much should I order? I.E. how much do our gearboxes hold? Yes I am being lazy, I know I could look it up in the manual

thanks
One gallon is perfect. Have the car level on four stands and then allow all of the new oil to go in via a clear hose. Have an oil pan underneath, retrieve the hose and allow the excess to drain out. Very easy and works great.

I replaced the factory fill with Delvac/SHC when I first purchased the car, and again this winter. My transmission shifts great.

Andreas
Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
"Double clutching" is a method used to match engine and transmission RPM on downshifts. Say you're in 4th gear at the upper end of the RPM scale for 4th and you are approaching a much slower 3rd gear turn. It goes like this:

1. 4th gear - Clutch in - Shifter to neutral
2. Clutch out in neutral - Rev engine to appropriate RPM
3. Clutch in - Shift to 3rd - Clutch out

When done properly and well, all of this takes place much faster than you can read this sentence.

If you ever at a track, standing at a turn that requires hard braking, you'll hear the drivers double clutch...As they go by slowing for the turn you'll hear that marvelous "Whoop-Daaah-Whoop-Daaah" as they work down through the gears.
What you hear on a race track is heel-toe, not double clutching. You don't need to double clutch in any gearbox with sychros.

For the original poster, change the fluid. If it doesn't get better, it means your 2nd gear synchro is going.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
allffy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again,

I reckon I'll change the oil.

One other thing, my left hand side headlight bulb blew about a month ago and again two weeks later. It just blew again today.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Change the fluid -- I think you'll be surprised at the results.
Chris, at the risk of starting another petroleum based holy war.....................
what lubricant do you recommend for DIY transaxle re-fill?

it seems like a good labor day weekend project

thanks

Craig
Old 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by allffy
One other thing, my left hand side headlight bulb blew about a month ago and again two weeks later. It just blew again today.
Probably a bit of moisture getting in there
Old 05-21-2008, 08:49 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car used to do the exact same thing you describe when cold. Now that I live inland instead of at the beach the car's oils start off at a higher temp and the issue has disappeared completely. I don't doubt it may be some synchro wear but its obvously not enough to pull the tranny apart in my case. If your car still grinds after its warm its probably not a good sign.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Chris, at the risk of starting another petroleum based holy war.....................
what lubricant do you recommend for DIY transaxle re-fill?

it seems like a good labor day weekend project

thanks

Craig
I have had the best luck with Mobil 1 75w90, the typical stuff sold at local auto parts stores. I havent had much luck with Swepco in the G50's.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

I have had the best luck with Mobil 1 75w90, the typical stuff sold at local auto parts stores. I havent had much luck with Swepco in the G50's.
cool beans

thanks

Craig
Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Ok, that didn't take too long, ( ~ 90 minutes from the time i took the jackstands out of the chest until the car was back on the ground);
wasn't too messy, (only spilled a little bit of the stinky stuff, Robin's DIY suggestion of using a long vinyl fill tube was spot on);
and wasn't too expensive, (~ $40).

how's that for a run-on sentence?

cheers

Craig

Next?
Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New fluid as everyone suggests. I like Mobil 1.

Also, try this. Sounds goofy. Next time you park you car overnight, 'park' it in second gear. This was posted by someone else quite awhile ago. It actually worked in my case.

chuck
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by csertich
New fluid as everyone suggests. I like Mobil 1.

Also, try this. Sounds goofy. Next time you park you car overnight, 'park' it in second gear. This was posted by someone else quite awhile ago. It actually worked in my case.

chuck
Yep I'll second that , I've been doing this since as well , it's not perfect but a definite improvement .. Anyone know why this works?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 AM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by TMc993
"Double clutching" is a method used to match engine and transmission RPM on downshifts. Say you're in 4th gear at the upper end of the RPM scale for 4th and you are approaching a much slower 3rd gear turn. It goes like this:

1. 4th gear - Clutch in - Shifter to neutral
2. Clutch out in neutral - Rev engine to appropriate RPM
3. Clutch in - Shift to 3rd - Clutch out

When done properly and well, all of this takes place much faster than you can read this sentence.

If you ever at a track, standing at a turn that requires hard braking, you'll hear the drivers double clutch...As they go by slowing for the turn you'll hear that marvelous "Whoop-Daaah-Whoop-Daaah" as they work down through the gears.

Terry
Thanks Terry ..
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent idea, esp. with the miles if it has not been attended to for a while. Do a 'search' on the topic though - tons of discussion on tranny fluids!

Change the fluid -- I think you'll be surprised at the results.

Quick Reply: Gear crunch