Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mechanics in Pittsburgh? (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smiles
Hi, Cal.

I've been using George Riggin for my 993. He's right off the Evans City exit, #83, on I-79 North, near Zelienople. Phone is (724) 473-8575.

If you want me to do an amateur look-see, I can.

Matt
Wow, that's pretty close to me (I'm in Beaver County), I might need to look him up.

FWIW, I took my 993tt to Sewickley for, admittedly, quite a list of to-do's (PSS10's and Fabspeed exhaust to name the bigger things) 12 days ago and I still don't have the car back. There are 2 techs there who worked on 993's when they were new so there is experience there but I guess you need to wait for the extra level of experience. They have been trying the align it after the coilover install since Friday. Joe, the alignment guy, is very good at what he does (ARPCA guys will know of him well) but since he's the only one to do it, there is usually quite a backlog. I was a little short with the service rep on the phone today but communication has not been the best. For at least 3 consecutive days, I was mere minutes away from getting a lift to the dealer when either I called to confirm or they called (only once) and I found out the car was not ready. I've actually started to become a little suspicious that something might have happened to my car and they are busy trying to fix it. Finished or not, I'm getting my car tomorrow as I'm flying out Thursday morning for a week. I told them it's either leaving under it's own power or it's getting put on my trailer.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW when I bought a 993 several years ago (with 7,000 miles on the odometer), I had the car shipped to Steinels Autowerks in Twinsburg, Ohio for routine service and a thorough going over. Could not have been more satisfied with Eric and his team. I subsequently had another older 911 serviced there as well. Oh and by the way I lived 500 miles to the east. I had heard Steinels was the best in the region...so that was that.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:16 AM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Hi, Cal.

I've been using George Riggin for my 993. He's right off the Evans City exit, #83, on I-79 North, near Zelienople. Phone is (724) 473-8575.

If you want me to do an amateur look-see, I can.

Matt

-1. Contacted them after they did a not so good alignment job for me...requesting a follow-up....never replied back after multiple calls. Sorry, will not recommend this person again.

p.s. No affiliation to JR, but I hear is son is running the place now.

Last edited by westsiderkg; 09-21-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM
kyle h
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have any updates on a reputable shop in the area? Looking at picking up a long-nose but would like to have some contacts incase things get out of hand with it.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:38 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I tried a guy in Gibsonia. Guy does a lot of high end work on classic European race cars. Probably does great work but going to his shop is like going to your alcoholic uncle's house. You aren't sure what is going to meet you at the door. Sometimes he is really nice, other times you have run into the incredible hulk in the middle of him turning green. I'm not going back there.

I had an inspection and some minor work done at Sewickley Porsche and had a good experience. When I was there I saw 6 or 7 dedicated Porsche race cars in the garage so somebody thinks they know what they are doing. I am going to give them a shot with my alignment when my suspension work is done.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Depending on location in / around Pittsburgh, I agree with Sewickley - great guys. I would also recommend George Riggin in Zelienople as a fantastic Indy.

If a little travel time isn’t an issue (about 90 min drive), Steinel’s is another fantastic Indy. Worked with them on an engine-out / top end over the last few months - couldn’t have been happier with work quality, communications, etc. Really top-notch ...
Old 09-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

+1 on George Riggin. He is the only one that touches my 911 now. Sewickley Porsche has done some stuff for me in past and have some good Aircooled Techs there and was happy with their work. George is the man! He is a straight shooter, OCD about his work, fairly priced, exceptionally nice guy, well known here and respected in the P-Car community! George knows Porsche! He just did a GT Transmission Re-Build on mine working with G-Box in CO. He has done tons of work for me including annual service on some of my other cars and hands down the best here. He knows Air Cooled Porsche's and has had many many years behind him. Prepare to wait though … he may be out 1-2 months. As soon as you pull into his shop … it's Porsche Heaven!

He installed my Bilsteins last year in the Spring and did my alignment and corner balance … not sure what "Westsiderkg" is talking about above. George was spot on with the alignment and find it hard to believe he wouldn't return calls? I know George very well and that doesn't sound like him.

Last edited by Gbos1; 09-21-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Mechanics in Pittsburgh? (a little long)