Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Can the passenger airbag be turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the passenger airbag be turned off?

I have a son who is 5 years old. He could sit fine in the back seat, but he would rather be up front and see the coming corners and so on. He'd rather be where the action is.

I'm on my way to buying my first 993, and I'd like to know if I can turn off the front passenger airbag. I did a search and couldn't come up with an answer.

Also, are there any other airbags I should disable if a 40-pound kid rides in a child seat in the front?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 993 does not have any factory option for a device that can turn it off, however started with the 996 there is an option you can install that can turn off the air bag.

But you do have the option of using a company that specilizes in installing an air bag turn off switch. Popular among the Ferrari owners. http://www.airbagonoff.com/
Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Smiles
Pro

Thank you, Robin.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Willie P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tucker and Max

M-

T-man rides in the back, but I have been told that the airbags run through the circuit for the airbag light on the clock and by disconnecting that light it will disarm both airbags.

I also think both boys should ride to OH (if we go).

w
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by Willie P

T-man rides in the back, but I have been told that the airbags run through the circuit for the airbag light on the clock and by disconnecting that light it will disarm both airbags.

I also think both boys should ride to OH (if we go).

w
That sounds so strange that it's either true, or someone's pulling rour leg. (Or you're pulling mine!) Can anyone confirm?

Good idea on bringing the li'l ones. I think.
(Or it could be a long day.)
Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if a 5 y.o. in the front seat pushed all the way back and properly restrained in a booster and belt positioner wouldn't actually be safer with the airbag than without?

Think about how bad a crash would have to be for him to contact the airbag hard from that position. Then think about the tradeoffs between a broken nose and a few burns and a basal skull fracture.

Unfortunately there are so many "don't ever!" and "you must!" rules with child restraints that people aren't given enough raw information to make an informed choice about safety and comfort trade-offs.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Smiles
Pro

You make a good point, Jon. It certainly makes me re-think this from a different perspective.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM
FSCCA
Instructor

My '97 has a factory installed air-bag deactivating buckle under the front seat. It's used to plug the factory kid seat into and it deactivates the passenger airbag.

I also found out that if I simply disconnect the buckle from a plug under the seat, it deactivates the airbag. It reactivates once pluged back in. No fault codes or airbag lights.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
texas911
Race Car

It was a knee jerk reaction to the kid that got decapitated by a front passenger airbag. Never-mind that the kid was unbelted and sitting on the front passenger's lap when the accident occurred.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

It's a good excuse to start on an RS project... Mod07 steering wheel, d/c passenger airbag, bypass the idiot light .
Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by FSCCA
My '97 has a factory installed air-bag deactivating buckle under the front seat. It's used to plug the factory kid seat into and it deactivates the passenger airbag.

I also found out that if I simply disconnect the buckle from a plug under the seat, it deactivates the airbag. It reactivates once pluged back in. No fault codes or airbag lights.
What does this "buckle" look like? Do all '97s have it? Do you have an option code for the buckle? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've used the airbagonoff product in a couple of my cars. Can't tell you for sure that they work (thank goodness) but the install was painless.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:02 PM
shamrock
Racer

I heard (don't know where!) that with the passenger seat in the fully rear position , you can put a rear facing child seat in without having to disengage the airbag .. anyone else know anything bout this?

Quick Reply: Can the passenger airbag be turned off?