Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Speaker Installation - 6.5" Polk Audio - Many Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, I missed the angle of the base it was replacing. Nice solution. I'm going to see if the Focals I bought can be done the same way...
Old 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
scottys624
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to keep the factory tweeters wired while installing non-component door speakers?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think so. The challenge might be if the crossover frequency is appropriate for the new speaker. I cut out the old tweets and glued the new focal tweets in the angled shell. Snapped them back into place.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the tweeter install pic here, the tweeter would actually be mounted essentially on the same plane as the door, instead of angled slightly as per the housing?
Correct, but it does not seem to have a practical negative effect on the sound... I tried swapping them back and forth, listening to the same track, and I honestly could not tell if it had a negative impact on the sound waves. These MMs are such an improvement over the stock tweeters that it is fine by me.
I guess one could try to dremel the notches and trim the back side of the polk tweeters at a slight angle, but then they might not snap into place so easily.

The stock speaker and tweeter grills look a million times better than any aftermarket stuff on these doors though. I would recommend doing all that is possible to reuse them!

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Installation - 6.5" Polk Audio - Many Pics