Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Speaker Installation - 6.5" Polk Audio - Many Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks great, my only concern is that you are now very off-axis to the tweeters so you will probably be hearing the passenger side one better that the drivers side leading to a shift in the soundstage, I think this is why they angled them up towards the drivers/passengers ear. I know its a small point :-)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
looks great, my only concern is that you are now very off-axis to the tweeters so you will probably be hearing the passenger side one better that the drivers side leading to a shift in the soundstage, I think this is why they angled them up towards the drivers/passengers ear. I know its a small point :-)
Unless the headunit control the sound delay. This way there is no issue.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, forgot to address that issue! The tweeters have swivel-mount cups so you can aim the tweeters so they broadcast toward your ears. After the installation, I calibrated the system and did aim them at a similar angle to the stock tweeter covers.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

excellent!! gotta make the most of those nice speakers :-)
Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Nuff
Racer

excellent!! gotta make the most of those nice speakers :-)
Agreed! Although when calibrating the system, there wasn't a huge difference with the speakers angled v. flat.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nuff
Sounds cool! Do you have a pic of the rear seat sub?
Subwoofer, view 1

Subwoofer, view 2

Door Dynaudios

Signat ROC
Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lurve Dyns! Have them in my house and that's what I want back in the car.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 PM
travanx
Pro

Where does that sub box come from?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great idea for the Sub installation in the rear seat back - more details please!

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
Subwoofer, view 1

Subwoofer, view 2
Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Ted

My sub has custom made MDF enclosure. Driver is Polk Audio and sub is inverter-type.

-Jaak
Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
Ted

My sub has custom made MDF enclosure. Driver is Polk Audio and sub is inverter-type.

-Jaak
LOVE the sub box! That's a great idea.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Hi,
Quick question, if I mount the tweeter on the surface and not cut the hole in the metal, would I still have to take the whole door panel off? It seems from your wonderful pics that installation can be done just by removing the pocket to get to the mids and the tweeters just snap off. Right?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by cy7878
Hi,
Quick question, if I mount the tweeter on the surface and not cut the hole in the metal, would I still have to take the whole door panel off? It seems from your wonderful pics that installation can be done just by removing the pocket to get to the mids and the tweeters just snap off. Right?

Thanks for the info.
It depends on how your tweeters mount. You may need to take off the panel to attach the surface mount.

Also, if you install a new crossover, you'll need to take off the panel to run the wires. If they are new components, you'll probably need to do this.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Default Thank you

Thanks for the reply. After staring at your posted pics, I realized that to run the wires for the crossover, I will have to take the panel off.

I initially thought I can hot glue the tweeter into the existing housing and used the green wires. But unless I stuff the cross over into the speaker well and hope the windows will clear and rain/water won't seep thru, the best way will still have to be to take the door panels off...

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
cy7878
Instructor

So I spent this weekend swapping out the old speakers. Despite what Crutchfield lists on its site, 5.25 inch speakers will not fit the front opening out of the box. The opening looks to be more like 6 inches. Since the discount car stereo shop where I got my stuff will not take stuff back and I wasn't going to spent another $250 on a set of components, I ended up cutting the plastic outer ring off the old speakers and used them as adaptors for the 5.25 inch JL Audio speakers I got. The speakers look small and I still had to use some silicon to help seal the perimeter to avoid air leaks, but the good thing about using the plastic ring from the old speakers is that now the stock grills will fit to make the whole thing look more stock.

In addition, I ended up taking the old Nokia tweeters out from the plastic housing, Dremmel out the top and just glued the new tweeters into the housing and put them back. The results look pretty good I thought.

The rears were straight forward drop in with the Eclipse 4x6 speakers I got. And the stock grills require no modification whatsoever to get them to fit.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Installation - 6.5" Polk Audio - Many Pics