Sponsored by:

GHL Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GHL Exhaust Install

So I ordered an exhaust from GHL (through Pelican), and have had a few problems so far:

First there was the "flange problem". I have gillet and GHL only makes bishoff (doesn't necessarily say that anywhere on either site) so I had to order the muffler donuts. Little annoying but whatever, partly my fault for not just going with another exhaust maker that makes gillet flanges. Also my fault for installing one muffler on Saturday before realizing this So I took the muffler off since I needed the car Monday.

Next, I have snapped about every bolt on the exhaust since it probably hasn't been removed in about 9 years and has been through quite a few midwest winters. Trip to HD/Pepboys and that was solved. I had to cut off the heat shield bolts and replace them..annoying as all get out.

Then I noticed that the bumper supports near the wheel well are both rotted through. DAMN IT! And they're 125 bucks a side, those will be fixed next week thanks Rennlist for showing me the part numbers

Finally, the muffler strap bolt was not long enough. Confound it all! Luckily I had some 5/16" x 3.5" lying around that fit properly (high strength and they don't rust, supposedly).

So all in all, after fighting for a total of 3 hrs I have one muffler on (the one I didn't install previously) and the tip is aligned perfectly! Tomorrow should be cake since I have already removed the other muffler once and have all new bolts on that side.

My advice to anyone who is installing an exhaust themselves, make sure you have a few things, new bolts, a dremel with a cutoff wheel and make sure you use the sockets that are not hexagonal if possible. If your exhaust has been on for a while and your car has seen winter you run the risk of just stripping the bolts, better to just snap the bolt completely off.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoFX(993)
My advice to anyone who is installing an exhaust themselves, make sure you have a few things, new bolts, a dremel with a cutoff wheel and make sure you use the sockets that are not hexagonal if possible. If your exhaust has been on for a while and your car has seen winter you run the risk of just stripping the bolts, better to just snap the bolt completely off.
+1... I keep a nice stash of extra nuts and bolts. Even found some nice threaded stand offs for the heat shields. These cars aren't getting any younger!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
ChicagoFX(993)
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two last things I almost forgot, be careful with the heatshields, they are quite sharp! AND having reversable circlip pliers makes the job about 100x easier.

Quick Reply: GHL Exhaust Install