Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way OT: Hardtail Mountain Bike Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Way OT: Hardtail Mountain Bike Suggestions?

Hey guys,

I know this is way OT, but I figure since we all have the same taste in cars i'm sure we all have the same tastes in other things in life as well. Well here..i'm talking about mountain bikes. Afterall, like cars, they have drivetrains, wheels, gears, and of course gets us from pt. A to pt. B. Anyway, since me and my gf's mountain bikes' were recently stolen from her garage (bastards ), we are in the market for new ones.

I had a '02 Cannondale hardtail (Terra - similar to a F400) that I really liked. I just started doing some research and since then the technology seems fairly unchanged. I'm leaning towards another C'dale (Caffeine F3) but was also looking at like mfgs: Specialized, Klein, maybe Trek. I'm trying to stay in the $1000 range. I test rode the F3, which I liked and Stumpjumper Comp this weekend. The Stumpjumper toptube seems a bit too long, whilst still a very nice bike but out of my price range @ $1600. I also heard good things about the smaller mfgs: Litespeed, Santa Cruz, Moots, but I think they are out of the price range as well. I've also been looking on Ebay and Craiglist for my stolen bike and also possibly for a good used bike but then the voided warranty comes into play.

I should also add that since I live in the city, I do about 90/10 - street/singletrack, hence the hardtail. I would think full suspension would be overkill.

Enough of my babbling, what do you mountain bikers ride/recommend? Pics would be great, we all love them!

Any comments, suggestions, or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

You really can't go wrong with C'dale for a hardtail-unless you want to go up to titanium. I had an F700 years ago and sold it when I trade to a full bouncer (Specialized Enduro). I still miss that bike and now have a low end Giant (Boulder SE) for those time when most of the trip is on the road. (I should add that I have 5 1/2 (tantum) bikes so one of each is called for.

Al
Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding a 1996 Cannondale Killer V 900 (hardtail) for 11 years and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

On the flip-side, I am in the process of building a fixed-gear bike for commuting - based on a 1971 Motobacane alum frame, as minimal as possible. I don't like worrying about my bike when I'm at work and can't keep an eye on it.

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Its probably smart to stay away from suspension for the price range your looking at. With that said, I love my FS and its not that much of a weight penalty and makes riding more fun... I would check criagslist for something used. With 1k, you could get more options (high zoot hard or FS) in mtn bikes. The only problem is that many users on craigslist, think their bike is worth more than it actually is. There are good deals out there, but you have to pick thru the inflated ones. As far as manufacturers - at the 1k price range, they are all pretty much made in the same tiawanese factory - not much difference between them all...

This is an example of a local bike. Its a few hundred less than MSRP and NO TAXES!!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/667891317.html
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tj90
Its probably smart to stay away from suspension for the price range your looking at. With that said, I love my FS and its not that much of a weight penalty and makes riding more fun... I would check criagslist for something used. With 1k, you could get more options (high zoot hard or FS) in mtn bikes. The only problem is that many users on craigslist, think their bike is worth more than it actually is. There are good deals out there, but you have to pick thru the inflated ones. As far as manufacturers - at the 1k price range, they are all pretty much made in the same tiawanese factory - not much difference between them all...
The good thing about C'dales, starting with the F4s (~$900) they are still made in the USA. Up until recently, they were all made here. That Craiglist Rockhopper does look nice and pretty good deal. Unfortunately the shipping here would be like $100.

Here's the F3 (Jet Black version) i'm leaning towards...

Link: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8FS3.html

The Rockhopper Comp Pro looks really nice too! Love the anodized Orange!

Link: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...d=08Rockhopper

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far! Keep them coming!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I have been riding a Specialized Stumpjumper M2 (Metal Matrix) for about 15 years, lightweight and stiff. I love it!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the KLEIN Pulse hardtail bike that I had custom made back in 1995 when they were still a small town local company. You can still find them around on CL and at some of the dealers. Super-light, beautiful welds and paint finish work.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're going to go hardtail, go retro! There's a lot of great deals out there on vintage US handmade bikes.

I've been riding Chris Chance's Wicked Fat Chance and the Titanium Fat Chance bikes for a long time. Never had a need to upgrade as 99% of my riding is singletrack.

The Wicked is truly old school with a rigid fork. The Ti has a newer Marzocchi fork and SRAM drivetrain. Plenty good to play in the dirt.

Get something different and you won't see another person riding the same bike as you!

-travis
Old 05-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

IMHO, Cannondale is not always the best way to go. They are cutting edge, but you do all the R&D. Plus a lot of parts are Cannondale only, & can be expensive & hard to find. While the frames have a lifetime warrenty, if you ride hard, you might be using it.

Harlan, they still make Klein, they are not owned by Trek & made beside the Trek factory now. GREAT bikes, I have a custom Klein Road bike.

Really, it comes down to what you want & how much you want to spend! Any bike over $1500 is going to be a high quality bike. I have a Specialized S-Works hardtail, & LOVE it, but it's a few years old, & was $2800 when I got it.

Really, find a couple of good local shops, ride everything you can, in & around your budget & get the one that fits & feels the best for your kind of riding. You can upgrade lower quality parts, but you are stuck with the frame, so focus more on that being higher quality over a high end rear derailer.

FWIW, I used to race road & mountain, & worked part time in a big local bike shop. I wrenched & sold just about every kind of bike & rider. Get one that fits, & quality, it will break when you are 10 miles from the trail head, & walking sucks! Also tubless rims ROCK!!! If you have specific questions you can pm me. But my current product line knowledge is kind of dated as I stopped working @ the shop, & racing + got fat.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The technology has changed somuch in the last 10 years,it's amazing. If budget dictates a hardtail, then go for it at that price-point I don't think you'll see substantial differences among the bikes. If budget permits, get a full suspension, bike the difference is incredible.

I started out with a Stumpjumper (hardtail) and went to a Gary Fischer full-suspension and then to a much lighter Santa Cruz Superlight full-suspension that was custom built. I've beat the snot out of it for the last 6-7 years and may buy a new one in the near future.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 1995 Killer V 900 is still a head turner! (The original Coda brakes are crap)
You can't go wrong with Specialized (very robust) and Trek (cool frames) either.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Do they sell Kona out in the East? You might check on those. Also, the Evil Empire bikes (Trek, Fisher, et al) are very good these days.

Or just get a Seven, Davidson, Moots...

Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Do they sell Kona out in the East? You might check on those. Also, the Evil Empire bikes (Trek, Fisher, et al) are very good these days.

Or just get a Seven, Davidson, Moots...

Yup. They do sell Kona here, but I don't have too much experience with them. I always felt they were more full-suspension/downhill oriented, no?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary Fisher, IF, Yeti, BMC (I own a Fourstroke 01, FS rig). I would definitely look for ebay or craigslist much more bang for the buck.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Yup. They do sell Kona here, but I don't have too much experience with them. I always felt they were more full-suspension/downhill oriented, no?
My wife has one of their lower end hardtails and it's been bulletproof. I would def have them on my list if I was buying an OTS hardtail.

Quick Reply: Way OT: Hardtail Mountain Bike Suggestions?