Sponsored by:

Anyone race TaG 125cc Karts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone race TaG 125cc Karts?

I attended a karting race school (Jim Hall) and drive the sprint karts about 3 years ago, what a hoot!!! I've been thinking of going back to do the TaG series and eventually get into racing myself.

Anyone race these? What are your thoughts on these versus shifter karts and the other series? Is it the best racing fun for the money? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have done shifters and my buddy has a Tag. I like the Tag better for short tracks. Easier to concentrate on your driving. He is actually selling a brand new Rotax engine package if you are interested.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted to buy a Rotax Max kart for this season, but I broke a couple ribs last fall in a Rotax and it took 5-6 months to heal. Not good. So I'm kind of in limbo, but I'd still like to do it.

Originally Posted by CarreraX
... He is actually selling a brand new Rotax engine package if you are interested.
Mark- do you know the chassis? Birel? Marguay? CRG?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

2004 Birel
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

I don't know much about them so forgive my lack of knowledge and potentially silly questions.

When you say rotomax, is that just one of the allowed engines on a TaG kart?

What are the considerations of buying a used vs. a new kart? For example, if you buy a used kart and budget to replace/rebuild the replaceables are you better off buying a new one?

I'm not quite at the point to buy anything just yet as I need to sell my endurocross bike first. I seem to have more fun racing 4 wheels and definitely want to make the switch at some point.

(Anyone want to buy a 2006 Honda CRF 250X...lots of mods and gear included!!!)
Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I don't know much about them so forgive my lack of knowledge and potentially silly questions.

When you say rotomax, is that just one of the allowed engines on a TaG kart?

What are the considerations of buying a used vs. a new kart? For example, if you buy a used kart and budget to replace/rebuild the replaceables are you better off buying a new one?...
Yup, there are like 2 or 3 TaG engines: Rotax, Parilla Leopard, and maybe another. Rotax Max series has a pretty complete rule set, whereas a non-Rotax TaG kart just follows "TaG" rules.

AFAIK, there's not much reason to buy a new kart for your 1st or 2nd season. Save the money and spend it on safety & comfort. New kart might be $8k, while a used (with rebuilt engine) might be $5.5k.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I wanted to buy a Rotax Max kart for this season, but I broke a couple ribs last fall in a Rotax and it took 5-6 months to heal. Not good. So I'm kind of in limbo, but I'd still like to do it.
+1
Damn, did it hurt to laugh!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

You too? Yes, laughing hurt, but sneezing was worse. And it sucked not being able to sleep on my right side for 5 months.

My injury would have been prevented by wearing a plate-type carbon fiber rib protector (which I now own) and using a seat that was not oversized. All I did wrong was drive over an apex berm. Live & learn...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera SC
+1
Damn, did it hurt to laugh!
Hmmm....that's two sets of broken ribs out of 3 people that have replied. Maybe I don't want to get into this sport!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Well, I'm not too proud to tell I broke them after drifting into a cement column at F1, an indoor track in Arizona. I did manage to get FTD later that night
Sneezing..how could I forget. Coughing wasn't too fun, either.

I participated in a 6 hour enduro kart race with a 4 man team in the rain. Now that was exciting. We usually rent an nice outdoor track for 6 hours a couple times a year with a group of ten. Fun times http://www.ovrp.com/ovrp/pages/home.asp
Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 AM
SM Racing
Instructor

hardcore kater here.
recommend to buy the engine package that you think is most 'interesting' for you.
one can learn to drive any of the current engine packages ---"tag='touch-and-go' or a "shifter" ='6-speed sequential' ...in about the same amount of time.
to be skilled at either will take some time, but either is a blast from day one.

as far as the 'rib' issue.... with the correct equipment -ie rib vest (recommend Sparco hard kevlar type)....it doesnt really happen.
the problem is alot of new guys dont know what work best until they injure something.

to answer the orginal post of 'tag 125' kart....-there is a tag ie electric start 125 shifter kart...aka tag icc.
in the world of karting, somewhat new but not widely used.
-not sure if thats what you were originally asking?

otherwise- tag is roughly broken down by 2 types -tag or rotax.
rotax refers to the manufacture name and the platform of the rotax engine, - while 'tag' denotes a touch and go engine platform -manufactured by several different engine manufactures -but commonly Parilla.

glad to help anyone out with an interest in a great form of motor racing.
in case youve never looked into it...
past karting champions from around the world- Senna, Schumacher, Montoya, Trulli, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Bordais, Speed.....to name just a few.

visit my website if you have an interest.....or pm me.

www.syarmotorsport.com

Last edited by SM Racing; 05-04-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone race TaG 125cc Karts?