Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro 993 in US questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 11:35 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

OMFG!!!

So after a day of not accepting calls and a full voice mail box, the guy answered the phone this morning when I called from the hotel courtesy phone. His story is he has a deal pending with some dealer in Nebraska who may or may not be here today in Texas to get the car. He says the dealer has 30 minutes (20 or so by the time this gets posted) to call him back.

Meanwhile I have a cashier's check for FULL asking price (same amount the dealer is offering) waiting 5 minutes from his house. I even offered a little more $$$ and the guy is still hesitant.

He even said he would much rather see the car go to an enthusiast than a dealer... WTF???
Old 05-08-2008 | 11:47 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

By the way this is the car:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

It was this thread that got me going:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/426260-1996-blue-coupe-for-sale-in-dallas-27k-47k-miles.html

The guy did not answer phone calls or accept messages for the first week that I called. My # was on his caller ID though and he called me Monday the 5th at 8am my time. He told me he needed to sell the car fast to raise capital for a pending lawsuit. Here I am in person at his house 3 days later with the dough and he is hemming and hawwing!!
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:02 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish I were closer to come and help. If you have his address go over with the check and talk about commitments. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:16 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Originally Posted by kiesan
He told me he needed to sell the car fast to raise capital for a pending lawsuit.
Too Many Red Flags. Don't look at the light!

Were you going to get a PPI on this car? I understand Texas has some pretty lax title laws, so stuff that could be "salvage" somewhere else can be "clean" in TX. Texans please correct me if this is wrong. I'd still be worried I couldn't register this in my home state.
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:26 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Too Many Red Flags. Don't look at the light!

Were you going to get a PPI on this car? I understand Texas has some pretty lax title laws, so stuff that could be "salvage" somewhere else can be "clean" in TX. Texans please correct me if this is wrong. I'd still be worried I couldn't register this in my home state.

I agree, lots of red flags. I am looking at a clean Carfax though. Re-titling in my home state for me will not be a problem, this I know for a fact.

Yes I was going to have this Mayo place in the Dallas area check out the car. The same shop put a clutch in it a year or so back.

The story now is the dealer in Nebraska has scheduled a driver to fly in tomorrow the 9th, pay for the car ($28k), and drive it home. Yet meanwhile here I am with a $28,500 cashier's check for the guy and he has my $500 Paypal deposit. Still will not sell it to me!

Now I'm waiting to hear back what this dealer wants to wash their hands of it and bow out. I'm just about at the end of my rope and on a plane back to Seattle

What dealer in Omaha, Nebraska do you all suppose this might be?
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:42 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

From: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Shot in the dark, but it could be this one:

http://www.classicautosales.com/Inve...chText=Porsche

A specialty outfit with some nice-looking, low mile stuff. Just a SWAG, but seriously, Omaha - how many could there be?

I suppose, if you wanted it badly enough and you found the right dealer, you could try buying him off. But for most dealers I know, knowing that someone who knows his stuff wants it that badly, this would just harden their resolve.

I'll tell you what you already know, Kie - this deal smells really bad. Damn shame, because if the car is as good as it looks, it would be a great deal. But this guy is the kind of seller nightmares are made of. And it might not end even when you think you've "got" the car.

Run away. Or fly away.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 05-08-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: random thoughts
Old 05-08-2008 | 11:50 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Shot in the dark, but it could be this one:

http://www.classicautosales.com/Inve...chText=Porsche

A specialty outfit with some nice-looking, low mile stuff. Just a SWAG, but seriously, Omaha - how many could there be?

I suppose, if you wanted it badly enough and you found the right dealer, you could try buying him off. But for most dealers I know, knowing that someone who knows his stuff wants it that badly, this would just harden their resolve.

I'll tell you what you already know, Kie - this deal smells really bad. Damn shame, because if the car is as good as it looks, it would be a great deal. But this guy is the kind of seller nightmares are made of. And it might not end even when you think you've "got" the car.

Run away. Or fly away.
Oh I flew away, yes it's true. According to my parking pass at SeaTac Airport, I was gone exactly 1 day 5 hours. I travelled 4500 miles and spent about a 'grand to have almost bought a (advertised as) great ROW 993.

The seller was a nightmare, no doubt. I am the first to admit that I was premature in flying down there. He could of had the decency to communicate with me though. This morning we spoke several times on the phone finally. He then said he was going to ask the dealer what he needed to not buy the car. He asked that I call back in 20 minutes. Of course, no answer at his phone and full voice mail all day after that. It goes without saying that he did not call me back. No reply to any emails either.

He would not even show me the car and I was literally 5 minutes from his house after travelling all that distance. I could of at least looked at it to determine if I wanted to buy the car from the dealer he was selling it to.

On top of that, he would not tell me who the dealer was. Whats up with that?

Oh well. There are starving people in the world and in the big scheme of things this is not any sort ot "real" problem. As someone who buys 60 - 75 vehicles every year professionally and as a hobby, you would think I would know better. I'm chalking it up to furthering my education.
Old 05-10-2008 | 04:20 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

What a freaking nightmare this sounds like. Rule #1: do a deal with someone you trust! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Euro 993 in US questions