Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Permanent SAI Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 AM
dlambert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The primary purpose of the SAI is to put extra oxygen into the exhaust stream to burn the richer cold start fuel mixture and to jump start the cats. This fix still accomplishes the mission and is not likely to ever fail. Good Job!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 AM
roebedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcommander
If I had a 77k car I would probably have it fixed and have the valve guides replaced at the same time. As I said, if the money is an issue the kluge works. I personally would have the car fixed right, but the money is not an issue and yes I would spend the 4 grand. If I were the potential buyer, I would wonder if there were other non factory mods. I once saw caulk used to replace the door seals on a 911 and a wooden block used to secure the battery in place. (it was supposed to have dual batteries).
car-commander, you bring up a good point, which leads me to a couple of questions. 1.) Do all 993's need a top end rebuild a 60, 70, 80, 100K miles? If there no issues, and the car is not consuming oil erratically why would you do it? 2.) I would never let someone tear down my engine and slap it back together for $4K! (my god my darn turbo brakes almost cost me that), and I installed them! My mechanic is not the cheep guy in town, but he's not a rip-off either, they drove the car for hours, to get the computer to reset and didn't charge me for it, but to drop the engine and do it right, well that was on the $8K block, and if it came out to be more I would of been glad to pay it, because he's just that good! He said he would rather not touch the engine, he also said on future cars with the SAI issue, that he would rather spend the 4-5 hours to shoot for a successful flush first, before he would recommend this mod. As far as I can see I think he is on fair playing ground.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 AM
roebedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amfab
Personal opinion on resale impact:

Working modification of a stupid SAI system: +$1000
If the modification is nicely done and reversable: +$1000
Non-stock mechanical modification in general: - $2000
Net impact= $0

Buying a car from a paying and participating Rennlist member,
priceless . . .

Well maybe not priceless, but it sure would give me A LOT of peace of mind
Andrew - Too funny, and as always its nice to see the humor brought into the thread. Your from my cars home town, she was brought up in LA and Venice Beach, I was lucky she never received a tie die paint job
Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, Im up near Topanga, so you never know what can happen . . .

maybe someone needs to do a 993 version of this:
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 AM
roebedo
Instructor

LOL.... I saw that car in excellence magazine..no? Isn't that some female rock star's car? My first impression was of course why?? Then when I read who the owner was It explained everything. Too funny...
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 AM
planeguy67
Advanced

Very kewl mod. I was wondering why Porsche routed the freekin' SAI system through the cam towers and heads instead of running some cheap tubing along the outside. But my understanding is the SAI air had to mix with the exhaust gases fresh out of the cylinder in order to work correctly.

Oh well, if this mod works, great!!! Give the stupid O2 sensors what they want, O2. If and when those tubes get plugged up, they should be a lot cheaper to replace than a top-end overhaul.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Janice Joplin's 356. Love it!

http://www.officialjanis.com/porsche.html
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, here's the deal on air injection. Look at any 2.7 or early 3.0 car, plus 930's and compare that half-*** external manifold, big *** HP robbing air pump, and nozzles sticking into the exhaust port robbing even more power. Hans und Franz didn't show up hung over one morning and try to slap something together to meet a deadline. I think it's pretty well established we don't drive the cars quite as hard here? Probably works quite well as intended.

Now onto valve guides. I've taken apart 911 engines with as little as 15K factory miles. Remember, before Carrera tensioners A LOT of practically new engines failed. And we, as a matter of course, replaced the guides. I've probably only used 4 head guys in my life (Pete Zimmerman being one, I don't think he posts here.....just on the 911 board), and I've never NOT had it come back that they're out of tolerance. On the flip side, I've pulled apart 200K+ engines that were marching along not burning much oil at all.

Probably the worst oil burners of the bunch came of age when I was pretty much getting out of hard mechanical work--the 3.2's. 60-80K, and some of them were going through a quart every 4-500 miles.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
carcommander- I think it's safe to say we all dislike kluges, but this is kind of an exception. Porsche designed the system very very poorly. To rebuild the engine ($4000) for no other reason than to fix a minor emissions issue due to a poorly designed system is kind of silly.
No doubt about it, E is right. If SAI-CEL is the only reason to tear everything apart its not worth the money and this mod is a smart way to go. I'm sure this "mod" could be pulled off the car in no time if necessary and chances are most mechanics doing the smog check see few enough 993s that this likely would be overlooked. I'm all for full disclosure if a sale was involved.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I think that mod is way too obvious. Considering it is illegal and carries severe fines, I would not do that mod or buy a car that had it. But then, I'm the type that won't remove my cats for the same reason. To each his own.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by roebedo
2.) I would never let someone tear down my engine and slap it back together for $4K! (my god my darn turbo brakes almost cost me that).
I have had my top end done for $3500, as have several Northeast Rennlisters, by a shop in New Hampshire. He does fine work. It's been terrific for 14k miles now and has not used a drop of oil.

Regarding the workaround, if you subscribe to the theory that worn exhaust valve guides are a contributing factor to the SAI system clogging in the first place, and that replacing the guides with the harder phosphorous bronze aftermarket ones is the solution, then it makes sense to do the rebuild as your guides are probably worn anyway. At 58k miles, my exhaust guides were badly worn.

Also, FWIW, having looked into this solution before opting to have my guides replaced, 10 hours of labor seems a bit much to install a couple of bungs into the exhaust and run two air lines from the check valve to there. Maybe the first time it's done, but the shop I discussed it with up here (not the rebuild shop) put it at about half that.

I don't know about liabilities; the law in Massachusetts specifically allows "temporary" repair measures that are true to the overall design of the system, i.e., if the system still functions correctly, it's okay to modify it -- and in this case, since it's supposed to feed extra air to the cats on a cold start to get them hotter quicker, it would still be doing that as long as the air lines are placed before the cats.

YMMV ... I'm glad I had my guides done and don't expect further issues with them, but time will tell.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

A couple guys have noted that this is somehow true to the original system. But I think Porsche's goal was to have HOT air (not cold air) injected into the cats. This workaround doesn't do that. So AFAIK, this mod does not help emissions and thus runs counter to the intent of the system.

That said, I still like it.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Is it possible to relocate the SAI valve to a more accessible location for future maintenance/replacement?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I always wondered why my car's exhaust system had extra oxygen sensor bunges along its pipes with plugs screwed into them. Now it all makes sense, kind'a like someone at Porsche foresaw problems with the air injector system and pre-installed attachment points for a fix that preserves the integrity and function of the secondary air injection system. Gosh, who would think!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

I wonder if this would ever be available as a kit?

Quick Reply: Another Permanent SAI Fix