H&R vs Bilstein or similar

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts
Default H&R vs Bilstein or similar

Title should read H&H vs Bilstein or similar

Why does 95+% of the 993 board extoll the virtues of PSS9 / 10 and pretty much no one mentions H&H (or other manufacturers) product?

I'm shopping for new struts to;
1. lower my car to ROW or slightly lower ride height, primarily for aesthetic reasons
2. improve body roll control.
3. improve suspension compliance

current setup = stock 993 C4S with 21K miles.

not looking to go to Moton or similar

90% parked in the garage
5% street driving
5% AX / TT

thanks

Craig
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Title should read H&H vs Bilstein or similar....
OK...

It does now

JD
Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i am also very interested in this thread... i had MO30 + Bilstein HD on my last 993 and that was a good setup... but is PSS10 better ? for primarily spirited street driving...

(sorry to highjack Craig )
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Craig, you mean H&R?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Doesnt H & H make bagles?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
No, but they do make tasty bagels.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I have driven a few cars with PSS9's and I wasn't impressed. the H&R's IMO are better. Both are way overpriced for what they are and if you want a decent track setup the JIC cross is far more bang for the buck.

To be honest how often does anyone adjust their PSS9's? Most people (not all) I know just leave them were they are set and if your going to do that there are cheaper alternatives.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT but how about some info on the flat 6 motor?
Originally Posted by cgfen
2006 Subaru wagon............. - my other flat 6 boxer car
Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There doesn't seem to be a big price diff between Bilstein HDs + springs vs PSS10's or the H&R package (25% more?). Why buy the HD's if you are replacing springs?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are we talking about the non-adjustable H&R coilovers as shown here? http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx?pid=103047

While they are price competitive with Bilsteins + Springs, please consider that they have serious longevity issues. I had three out of four struts fail to the point of losing their oil when I ran them on the Audi. Actually all four had long since lost their damping. If you know any vendors who with speak frankly with you, ask them--lots of warranty claims. Note that in order to take advantage of their warranty, the strut must have literally dumped its oil all over your suspension, wheel etc. And they won't replace them in pairs if one fails! Just avoid them like the crap that they are.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
There doesn't seem to be a big price diff between Bilstein HDs + springs vs PSS10's or the H&R package (25% more?). Why buy the HD's if you are replacing springs?
A Bilstein HD and H&R spring setup will run a min of $700 less than a PSS9/10. I think that is considerable.

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Are we talking about the non-adjustable H&R coilovers as shown here? http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx?pid=103047

While they are price competitive with Bilsteins + Springs, please consider that they have serious longevity issues. I had three out of four struts fail to the point of losing their oil when I ran them on the Audi. Actually all four had long since lost their damping. If you know any vendors who with speak frankly with you, ask them--lots of warranty claims. Note that in order to take advantage of their warranty, the strut must have literally dumped its oil all over your suspension, wheel etc. And they won't replace them in pairs if one fails! Just avoid them like the crap that they are.
H&R makes a system similar to the PSS9. Multi adjustable and with dual springs. It is far better quality than the PSS9 and has far more options available. I know of several people that have them and they have had no issues. Although they run closer to $2300 a set vs what you liked to at Automotion.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/coilovers/
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your driving sounds similar to mine. If you're running 17" wheels, you may want to consider Bilstein + H&R. With 18"s, I like my Bilstein + Euro MO30 setup.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Craig, you mean H&R?
Yes, my typing just kinda sucks. Thanks Chris.

Originally Posted by 177mph
mmmmmmmm bagels

Originally Posted by cobalt
To be honest how often does anyone adjust their PSS9's? Most people (not all) I know just leave them were they are set and if your going to do that there are cheaper alternatives.
BINGO!

Originally Posted by RallyJon

Not yet sure what H&R product to consider, just asking questions and trying to make an informed decision.

Other flat six boxer ???????? = 2006 Subaru Outback 3.0L with auto tranny.
Decent car, engine is actually pretty decent for performance and efficiency, but tranny really really sucks. Mapping is always pushing for max fuel economy, "sport mode" HA HA HA HA is as slushy as an old powerglide.
Car would be much better with a manual tranny, but no market, (sayeth the focus groups), for this type of car in the US of A.

for some reason it sounds nothing like my German flat six...........

cheers

Craig
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ooh... H&H bagels...used to get them fresh at the factory near west side hwy in NYC
Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for some reason it sounds nothing like my German flat six.
IIRC Subaru had its origins making engines for the Zeros in WW2 (much like BMW).

Quick Reply: H&R vs Bilstein or similar