Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Always use stock OEM Porsche belts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable story. How on earth such small difference can cause CEL light? If the belt is wider, it sits higher on both wheels and doest cause any alteration for alternator speed, I believe? Mystery for me, engineer as I am. Doesn't upgraded pully cause CEL?

Jack
Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
Unbelievable story. How on earth such small difference can cause CEL light? If the belt is wider, it sits higher on both wheels and doest cause any alteration for alternator speed, I believe? Mystery for me, engineer as I am. Doesn't upgraded pully cause CEL?

Jack
I just had my belts replaced with the pulley update. All contis, new pulley and my wrench who says that the small difference in diameter and width makes no difference. I watched him perform the update and belt replacement. I mentioned that there were many that had problems with CEL afterwards and he responded that it had to do with the tension of the belts not the belt itself. He said if improperly installed, you may see a problem. I have about 1500 miles and no problems.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward
Hahaha ...I am so lame! I thought the orig thread was about using OEM seat belts ...like WTF? How would OBDII sense seat belts?!!!
I should never surf pre-coffee

Edward
LOL! Same here...

I'd never heard of this issue and I've just bought new Contis. Have not put them on yet. Wanted to have spares in the trunk, just in case. On a side note, how often are you guys changing belts? I have 30000km and 8 years on my Porsche belts.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I still don't buy that...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
LOL! Same here...

I'd never heard of this issue and I've just bought new Contis. Have not put them on yet. Wanted to have spares in the trunk, just in case. On a side note, how often are you guys changing belts? I have 30000km and 8 years on my Porsche belts.
Mine were cracked with only 25k miles.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As the saying goes...

"There is no worse blind than he who doesn't want to see"
Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Yikes, taking my car in tomorrow for 60K and will make sure they use OEM belts.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by ga993
Yikes, taking my car in tomorrow for 60K and will make sure they use OEM belts.
Don't worry. Alan at German Car Repair now only uses OEM belts after what happened to me. Alan thank me later since he was able to fix other 5 993 clients of his with CEL issues by just changing their belts from Conti's to OEM's.

FWIW, 95's may not have this issue as they are ODBI. Also, the CEL with Conti's belts seem to occur under heavy acceleration and reving over 5K RPMS. Some seem to baby the car some, so they may never get a CEL even with the Conti belts.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Yes, I just checked w/ him and he said OE belts only
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the conti belts for the last 5K miles with plenty of hard driving and haven't had an issue. My car is a 95 FWIW.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
I've had the conti belts for the last 5K miles with plenty of hard driving and haven't had an issue. My car is a 95 FWIW.
Yes, 95's = ODBI...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

okay, another stroy of a well-known issue. I have a dilema and wonder what would you do...my car has a conti belt now...no idea if the shims were played with. The belt has been on the car since I bought it and I am planning on doing them soon. Anyway, I have both a conti and a porsche belt but am wondering if I should just use a conti since it is on the car with no issue (possibly re-shimmed to make work by a mechanic that knew of the issue and compensated)...or, to go with the porsche belt. Car is a 1997 so obd-II
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Don't worry. Alan at German Car Repair now only uses OEM belts after what happened to me. Alan thank me later since he was able to fix other 5 993 clients of his with CEL issues by just changing their belts from Conti's to OEM's.

FWIW, 95's may not have this issue as they are ODBI. Also, the CEL with Conti's belts seem to occur under heavy acceleration and reving over 5K RPMS. Some seem to baby the car some, so they may never get a CEL even with the Conti belts.
Who can explain, how wrong/lower alternator speed affects on CEL?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
Who can explain, how wrong/lower alternator speed affects on CEL?
Read my post #20 about it for more details.... It is also documented on another thread in which was discussed in greater length.

Basically, It is not the wrong/lower alternator speed but rather the pulsations it makes when the belts slips rapidly due to incorrect size and being "pinched". At higher rpms, the belt slips ever so slightly and then it catches again once the tension from the "pinch" is released.

Due to the rotational inertia of the alternator, those pulsations are transfered to the crank, where they are detected by the crank sensor and the ODBII logic reads it with a multiple misfire in a all cylinders.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (04-18-2023)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Read my post #20 about it for more details.... It is also documented on another thread in which was discussed in greater length.

Basically, It is not the wrong/lower alternator speed but rather the pulsations it makes when the belts slips rapidly due to incorrect size and being "pinched". At higher rpms, the belt slips ever so slightly and then it catches again once the tension from the "pinch" is released.

Due to the rotational inertia of the alternator, those pulsations are transfered to the crank, where they are detected by the crank sensor and the ODBII logic reads it with a multiple misfire in a all cylinders.
ALL cylinders? Mine shows multiple faults and cylinders 3 & 5 only. I'm going to clear the codes and look for the readiness codes for smog test. Will switch to OEM belts afterward.

Quick Reply: Always use stock OEM Porsche belts!