Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Need my garage floor expoxied in Maryland but my painter isn't knowledgeable...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

another option is the VCT per this thread
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Skip the epozy and go with the VCT.....

Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Chuck - what do you have along the edge of the VCT under the bottom of the garage door?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan is to epoxy the floor of my new detached garage.

If you are interested there is a lot of information on the forum in the link below. Just search and you will most likely find more information than you want.

My plan is to have my floor shotblasted first to properly prepare concrete with the ideal profile for the epoxy to adhere to.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Chuck - what do you have along the edge of the VCT under the bottom of the garage door?
It’s an aluminum strip that is 1/8 inch thick, 1 ½ inch wide and 5 feet long. It is the exact thickness of the VCT so it protects the tiles as you drive in. Sold at Home Depot. I glue it on with concrete contact glue also sold at Home Depot.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Skip the epozy and go with the VCT.....
Chuck,

I didn't know what VCT stood for till today (vinyl composition tiles). I figured it wasn't the Virtual College Of Texas, the #1 google site for VCT but #2 is the tiles.

Learn something new every day. They look awesome. How long do they last compared to epoxy and how hard are they to lift up and remove once they get all messed up and cracked? If you're using that glue, it looks like it might be a mess years down the road when redoing it.

Is just rolling it out with a good quality garage floor paint a dumb idea? My buddy tonight said to just do that - it lasts about 5 years, is ALOT cheaper and looks fine says he.

Thx,
Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 04-25-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Is just rolling it out with a good quality garage floor paint a dumb idea? My buddy tonight said to just do that - it lasts about 5 years, is ALOT cheaper and looks fine
Yes. I tried the regular Behr(?) Home Depot garage floor paint at a place I rented. I did the etching, and it still came up in places where the tires rested. Also recall some black marks. Wouldn't do it again...

I'm liking the old-school vinyl tile idea- cheap, durable and professional looking, and you don't have to do a checkerboard. Why re-invent the wheel?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Obie1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve.....my 2 cents says that you shouldn't be too afraid of a painter that is only charging $250 + materials. As stated by so many, you need to make sure that you acid etch everything correctly. Besides that, most/all epoxy coating will look great. I have attached a picture of my floor. Sorry it's not a better pic but just wanted to show you my floor which is your standard Home Depot 'Epoxy Coat" paint. Took me very little time to put down. Your painter can acid etch one day then come back the next day and apply the epoxy. The reason it is so cheap is because it will probably be the easiest paint job he has had in months.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Obie1; 04-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Obie1 - This is good news then. I'll try to find a painter that can acid etch the floor and just have him do it. Tiles look really great too, but after thinking about the look I wanted to begin with, the epoxy does it for me.

Steve
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
You might consider staining concrete with a good sealer. We did mine 3 years ago and its holding up great.

We powerwashed the concrete. Cut it into 24 inch tiles. Washed it again with a power washer. Stained it with the water based stain and let it dry. We then sealed it with the concrete sealer. Next we took some black grout and grouted the lines to make it look like finished tile. Lastly we put another coat of sealer on it. Turned out great and much cheaper than the epoxy.

Just an option.

Jeff
Jeff,

Looks stunning and I am hoping to do the same thing in my new build.

Can you provide any details?

Name and type of stain? Colour? Application?
Type of sealer? Type of grout?

Thanks.

Marc
p.s. I have the same lift and I notice you don't need to protect the floor under it where the lift rollers are. No scratching there?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've designed a couple of commercial jet hangers and have had the contractors use products similar to that of the website below.
http://www.concrete-inc.com/epoxy_colors_chart.htm

First of all the substrate (concrete floor) needs to be abraided and if newly poured, a medium to heavy broom finish.
Secondly, it needs to be clean preferably with a weak acid solution and completely dried before the epoxy paint product is applied, otherwise the moisture in the either new concrete or freshly washed concrete will cause the epoxy to "pop" as the moisture tries to find its way out. Find a competent special coatings applicator, not all painters can properly apply these products as the real good stuff is
industrial or at a minimum commercial grade. Most of these products will come with warranty back up against material failures. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

HH Chin - Good point then about not just using a regular paint guy to do this if he's not real familiar with the potential problems and the exact process.

Big question, with that link you provided to the color chart, which color do you recommend for my garage floor? I initially was thinking light grey but now I'm wondering if medium grey would hide the dirt better?

Beige is nice too The walls will be shell white.

Steve
Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've specified the white, off white, light gray, light blue, and medium gray in my projects. One of the faciltiies I did refurbishes aircraft from B717-B777's Usually these facilites are kept spotless as the last thing you want is for one of the engines to ingest something left on the floor. Fluids are picked up immediately because of slipping hazard. Light colors reflect light of course helps when working under the shadowing wings. If you select the medium gray you might lose your car as it blends in, I like the light blue myself.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Harlan. The light blue is pretty nice. My painters are here now to paint the rest of my house but they're now telling me they've never epoxied a garage so they're not doing it.

I'll find someone one of these days and post pics.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Brute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another product you may want to check into - http://seal-it.ca/concrete_sealant.php
I laughed when the salesman said their wood sealer would last indefinitely, but I went ahead and applied their wood sealant to my cedar log home ten years ago and it still looks great. This house is on the shore of Lake Michigan and is exposed to heavy wind blown rain and snow. Something else to mull over!

Quick Reply: Help! Need my garage floor expoxied in Maryland but my painter isn't knowledgeable...