Sponsored by:

Where is spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is spring?

Guess what's under the tarp? Even with a too large tarp the profile is pretty hard to hide. Unfortunately putting miles on the car will be delayed somewhat. It's April 20th and it looks like January outside. I think it's about -11 C/12F and time to shovel once again. The garage is full with my other toy so this will have to do for a few more weeks anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
braydon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like my Calgary trip on Tuesday will require a coat!!

Its been 25 in Toronto all week, so this is going to be a shock!!

Keep your fingers crossed for sunnier days. Heck in Alberta it could be short sleeve weather by tomorrow!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

Matt, I here you brother. After a stunning previous weekend with 20+C temps the weather has turned back to seasonal norms, IF IT WERE FEBRUARY!!!! I just finished a quick round trip to the Kootenay region of BC most of it on snowy/slushy/extremely slippery roads. This winter started early and isn't giving up yet, I've had enough!

Tim.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where is spring

Mine's coming home in a few weeks so my Subie will be getting kicked out of the garage. But we'll be starting on the garage addition shortly....

-12 C here this morning in Calgary. This is getting tiresome.

Rinty
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
matt777
Drifting

My new 24x26 garage is just an plan right now. I'm still waiting for a permit. The cost of garages has gone through the roof here with the Alberta boom. If I pay somebody to do the cement and build it I'm looking at $25-30K plus insulation, wiring, drywall and heating!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Yes, it seems global warming is definitely on hold here in the Pacific North West! Some folks actually saw some snow in Vancouver over the weekend. I have to be in Banff for a few days as of next Wednesday - was going to take the p-car and take my time driving up, and was looking forward to a nice springtime run through the Rockies. But now I have booked a flight into Calagary - can't afford to take a chance with the weather.

Already got caught once by a blizzard in Manning Park last month - so bad, had to turn around and stop for a while until it let up a bit and I could see the road again. And that was in an A6 Avant with Quattro and snow tires ...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:53 PM
matt777
Drifting

I'm told it's not global warming...it's global climate change. I guess global warming is a hard sell when it's like this outside. I'm not a disbeliever but it doesn't help the cause.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Well, yes, climate change by any other name ... BTW - congrats on getting your baby back home, although only to have to put it into cold-storage! Are you about to take it for the RIV or federal inspection? For a 993 I brought in from the US in February Canadian Tire decided to insist on the child seat tether brackets before they approved it. The solution was relatively simple, but maybe you figured this out already. Check Robin's site at http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html

But what I did was to take the car through without putting the rear speaker panel back on, so they could see the brackets were installed. I wasn't about to cut holes in the (leather!) panel, although there are knock-out indentations at the back to do this . Once passed, I reinstalled the panel. Fits just fine. If there is a subsequent owner who needs these tethers, they can follow through with modifying the access for it.

Last edited by RSRee; 04-21-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

We're also in the middle of winter here in Portland, Or. I just got back from skiing Mt Hood today. Total white-out blizzard all day, but nice powder.
Cold and rainy in Portland. We had hail/snow mix yesterday. Global warming? Bah-humbug!
Man, I sure hope we get a summer this year.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by RSRee
...Are you about to take it for the RIV or federal inspection? For a 993 I brought in from the US in February Canadian Tire decided to insist on the child seat tether brackets before they approved it. The solution was relatively simple, but maybe you figured this out already. Check Robin's site at http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html

But what I did was to take the car through without putting the rear speaker panel back on, so they could see the brackets were installed. I wasn't about to cut holes in the (leather!) panel, although there are knock-out indentations at the back to do this . Once passed, I reinstalled the panel. Fits just fine. If there is a subsequent owner who needs these tethers, they can follow through with modifying the access for it.
I'm going to try and get away with just putting the tether in the glove box. I heard that is good enough for some inspectors. We'll see. I've got to wait for all of the snow to melt before the car goes anywhere!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys should all move to NZ.
Wev'e got the room. You can drive all year round if you live in the North Island.
We are wondering where Autumn is. Still hot days, clear, no rain.
I can't belive how cold and miserable it gets there for you lot, and it seems to last forever.
You can even have a pet sheep.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default weather

You guys should all move to NZ...993Man
I agree; it's a fabulous place, and if I had unlimited funds, my second home would be in Nelson, South Island.

just got back from skiing at Mt. Hood today....bluejam
And this place, an hour from my place, got 67 cm this week:

http://www.skibanff.com/

It's been snowing in Calgary since last Thursday, but there's always an upside. Time for a mid week sneak.

Rinty
Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

I always wanted to ski Banff. You know, you get the same storms as us, just a day or two later so there is more headed your way, sorry to say.

I have also been to NZ, both islands and was fortunate to ski Mt Hutt. NZ is a fabulous place. I would live there in a heartbeat. I have never been to a more friendly country, particularly toward us Americans.

People asked me why I took so many photos of sheep. I say, I didn't. They're just everywhere!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would it **** you guys off that I put the top down last month and have yet to put it back up? It is nice here and I drive the car every day.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I think I found it. We are supposed to get to 100 F today.

Al

Quick Reply: Where is spring?