Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! First Oil leak and a lot.. (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
the.pun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! First Oil leak and a lot.. (Pictures)

Okay, the car has 62k the oil was changed in December at 58k. I drive her every day to work. I pulled her out of the garage for a wash today and I noticed an oil spill about the size of two, one dollar bills side by side. After the wash I drove her around the block to heat up the engine. After the engine temp. was up I checked the oil. Level seems normal 75% up the twisty part of the stick. At idle cold the oil pressure gauge was at 4, at idle hot it was at 3. When driving at 5. The oil is coming from the rear passenger side of the car just left of the rear passenger tire. It is dripping onto the exhaust and causing a mild hissing and popping noise. I'm not a mechanic so I wonder is she still safe to drive? Should I take her in to the shop? Or is this something I can check out and fix. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Chris
Black '97 993 C2

Last edited by the.pun; 04-20-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pictures of this? Oil, unless sizzling wouldn't cause hiss and pops, that may be another issue. Valve covers are notorious for leaking, could be that. Could be an oil filter loose and leaking (forward of the rear pass. tire) maybe your oil tank leaking (the only hiss sorce I can think of)?. Need more info
Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM
the.pun
Intermediate

let me take some pictures, I'll post them soon. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 PM
the.pun
Intermediate

Here are the pics. it looks to me as if the oil may be coming from those bolts. However, I can't get up under the car enough to see anything above these shots. Any thoughts?
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Either is leaking from a loose oil filter (2nd small unit upside down on engine), or valve cover. Valve cover is quit common, but that's generally a seeping leak. So when you mentioned that it was size of a couple dollar bill it is concerning, you should get the car up on a lift as quickly as possible.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Either is leaking from a loose oil filter (2nd small unit upside down on engine), or valve cover. Valve cover is quit common, but that's generally a seeping leak. So when you mentioned that it was size of a couple dollar bill it is concerning, you should get the car up on a lift as quickly as possible.
+1

Either way, an easy (& cheap) fix.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
the.pun
Intermediate

I just wiped the entire underside clean, turned on the car and laid there for 10 mins watching about three drips come from the far left bolt in the picture, I'm guessing this is my issue. I wonder if the its just dripping about 10 to 15 drops after I drive and I just haven't noticed it until now. Explaining the larger pool of oil on the garage floor. Gentleman if I have to do a valve cover job, what can I expect my wrench to charge or how to I go about doing it myself (if possible). Thanks for your help, if anything this forum helps keep you calm. Thanks.

Chris
Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
993inNC
Race Car

do a search, valve cover gasket replacement has been covered extensively. As well, p-car.com etc, there's so many diy write ups. Its not hard, but you must take your time. A shop would probably charge a few hundred to do it.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

It's really not very hard. I just did mine a short while ago and my only mistake was not getting the exhaust tips even.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Have you tried just tightening the bolt? I love those fixes.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the.pun
I just wiped the entire underside clean, turned on the car and laid there for 10 mins watching about three drips come from the far left bolt in the picture, I'm guessing this is my issue. I wonder if the its just dripping about 10 to 15 drops after I drive and I just haven't noticed it until now. Explaining the larger pool of oil on the garage floor. Gentleman if I have to do a valve cover job, what can I expect my wrench to charge or how to I go about doing it myself (if possible). Thanks for your help, if anything this forum helps keep you calm. Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

I see you are somewhat close by (I'm in New Smyrna Beach area). I just did my drivers side valve cover about 2 or 3 weeks ago. For what its worth, my drivers side heat exchanger and valve cover area looked just like that.

If its urgent I have an extra valve cover gasket and bolts that I can get to you pretty quickly. I have to go to Lake Mary sometime this week to the office so I can bring them with me if needed. I dont think you're in great danger of blowing anything up, but the offer is there if you need it. I'm not sure how bad the passenger side is to do, but the drivers side was a quick job (other than stripping a bolt and having to cut the head off).
I would rather the DIY method than taking it to the wrench. Its really not too bad of a job and I've seen some people pay quite a bit for something that can be done in an evening easily. I was able to do the drivers side without even removing the muffler.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the.pun

Chris

It may very well be the valve cover but be sure it isn't coming from above... if the top of the cover is wet, work your way up, look from top side. Valve cover would more likely leak slowly and get worse over time. Instant flood sound more like a hose.
Are you sure it is motor oil? Could also be PS fluid...
The hiss you hear is from dripping oil or when engine is running?
I'd feel the underside of the low pressure line (the one with the hose clamp) and see if the hose moves freely. Also check the high pressure fittings to be sure they are snug.

Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
the.pun
Intermediate

Guys, Thank you very much for all your responses. I gotta tell ya I love this community we have. Its a shame we don't all live close enough to meet up. The ending result was the passenger side Valve Cover Gasket was shot. I took it to the shop and had her completely looked over, for those who care it was $281 with lots of peace of mind. However, without your responses the damage would have mentally been a lot more.

Justin, thank you so much for your offer, I would of taken you up on it but I do not have the right equipment (tools, jacks ect.) to have completed the job. However, since you do come into town every so often I would like to have lunch and meet up sometime. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad, turbo cars is like 1200 due to removing turbos from what I hear.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Justin
I am starting to dislike you more and more......NOT . Not only you are great driver, you are great wrench to boot. Wow.
Chris, I am in Winter Park. Where did you take your car?
Ron

Quick Reply: Help!! First Oil leak and a lot.. (Pictures)