Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great news, glad you got it fixed! I agree with the "parts hanger' analogy. I've seen so many instances of throwing parts at a problem. My rule of thumb is alway go to the basics. Start simplest first, work your way to the complex.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Unfortunately, these 2 ideas kind of conflict. You can't really come up with a "sequential task analysis" since there are waaaay too many variables. A smart analyst needs to understand all the tests and failure modes then devise a plan only after weighing each test procedure on 2 categories:
(1) how easy is it to do, and
(2) how likely is it to solve the problem.

Here, the OP (a) asked us what tests were available and might solve the problem, then (b) started with the easiest one (clean the MAF) and fortunately it worked. The workshop manuals have a nice matrix of problems with symptoms, but cleaning the MAF isn't on it!
While there may be "...waaay to many variables..." there aren't that many likely variables. It really comes down to three classes of variables: Fuel, air and spark.

The variables mentioned in the thread are:

Fuel= Fuel pump, fuel pump valving, injectors, throttle position sensor, and the gasoline itself.

Air= Air filter and mass air-flow sensor

Spark= Plugs, plug wires, dirtributor caps, and belt.

An added complication is the DME relay which could affect any or any combination of the three.

That's a total of 12 likely variables and some of them are more likely than others.

Actually, the OP didn't start with the easiest one...When he posted the first time, he had already checked the distributor functioning and replaced the DME relay (Logical choices, just not the easiest). If I remember correctly, he also tried a couple of other things before going to the MAFS...Which only points out the potential usefulness of a sequential task analysis (Do A...Yes?...No?...If "Yes" do B...If "No" do C, etc.)

Finally, it is because the factory manual doesn't contain stuff like "clean the MAFS" that our developing these types of sequences would be helpful. Factory manuals don't come close to the collective knowledge of the folks on this list with regard to the type of problems and failures seen in the cars over the past 12 years.

In the end, this really doesn't matter...It was just a suggestion.

Terry
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great!

When I first read this post I immediately thought of the time a fellow rennlister and I replaced our SAI valves (always keep track of that little pigtail hose in the back!) and when putting everything back together the MAF was put in backwards on his car. Upon startup the engine popped, spit, etc...it sounded cool and smelled great too (very rich mixture). The immediate thought was too much fuel which led us to flipping the MAF. I should have offered this as a possibility early on but I'm not too savvy on 993 mechanics so I figured it must be something else. I laughed when I read that this was the problem!

Have fun driving
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Terry, yes I agree your suggestion is a good one. It just strikes me as hard to do, but I could be wrong. Maybe the best place to start would be to identify all of the things that can/do go wrong then identify the symptoms.

And indeed, this exercise would surely identify a LOT of things that the workshop manuals neglected. Six that come to mind are: MAF dirty, ISV dirty, collapsed lifters, clogged cats, improperly set timing, collapsed vacuum lines.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
(Do A...Yes?...No?...If "Yes" do B...If "No" do C, etc.)

Finally, it is because the factory manual doesn't contain stuff like "clean the MAFS" that our developing these types of sequences would be helpful. Factory manuals don't come close to the collective knowledge of the folks on this list with regard to the type of problems and failures seen in the cars over the past 12 years.

In the end, this really doesn't matter...It was just a suggestion.

Terry
Hello Terry:

Your idea has been "suggested" by Porsche and this is the way they proceed to fixing cars.
Believe it or not, this is the way they instruct their mechanics to repair.
I do have those instructions.
But all those proceedures are in majority electronic dependent.
To be able to abide by their workaround, you have to have a PST2, not to mention special porsche tools, and especially, it's electronic tentacles. An example in the link:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/d...4_-_p1126_.pdf

But this is where rennlist is an addiction.
Its a turn-around to these fly-by-wire proceedures, pointing out how we perceive the 993 as a mechanical achievement and not a perishable consumer product

TheOtherEric, I chose the link above because it has slightly better details for your 'Pressure testing intake system' thread earlier
best regards

Last edited by geolab; 04-18-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

So it was fuel after all.
Midnite said fuel hose was badly twisted @ pump

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/424594-my-problem-is-back-again-not-the-maf-bad-new-fuel-pump.html

Last edited by geolab; 09-08-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle