Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 993 C2 Cab Owner - How to Drop Top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 993 C2 Cab Owner - How to Drop Top?

Last November I traded my '91 C4 Cab 964 for a '97 C2 Cab 993. I love that the top can now be dropped while the engine is running (saving battery charge), but I see the zippering is different from the 964's cab top.

All I can see is a big zipper around the whole plastic window, and two short (6"?) zippers on the sides of the top, about even with the headrests of the front seats. The owners manual is terrible about showing how this is to be done.

Today is the first time since purchase that its warm enough to drop the top (FINALLY!!), but I don't want to bugger up the plastic window, or snarl the electro-mechanical top folding mechanism.

So... what's the proper procedure to drop the top from fully up and closed to fully down and driving away?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't want to screw up the top NOW and have to drive top up for the next several months waiting for repairs or parts or whatever.

Thanks for your help!
Rod
Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just press the button on the console in front of the gear shifter. I don't touch the zippers. Keep the button held down until the light on the dash goes out and your done.

What I do is actually stop the top at the half-way point, get out of the car and make sure the rear window is folding nicely (no weird crease or ripple) then hop back in and put top all the way down.

You're trying to make it harder than it is.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front-loader, or back-fastener?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
f11
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Just press the button on the console in front of the gear shifter. I don't touch the zippers. Keep the button held down until the light on the dash goes out and your done.

What I do is actually stop the top at the half-way point, get out of the car and make sure the rear window is folding nicely (no weird crease or ripple) then hop back in and put top all the way down.

You're trying to make it harder than it is.
So you don't undo ANY of the zippers, just drop and go? That'd be great, but are you sure that doesn't damage the rear window at all?

I ask because dropping the 964 top involved unzipping the rear-window zipper so it laid flat on the backshelf... if you didn't it developed a nasty curl (at best) or a crease (at worst).

Thanks for your help!!
Rod
Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f11
So you don't undo ANY of the zippers, just drop and go? That'd be great, but are you sure that doesn't damage the rear window at all?

I ask because dropping the 964 top involved unzipping the rear-window zipper so it laid flat on the backshelf... if you didn't it developed a nasty curl (at best) or a crease (at worst).

Thanks for your help!!
Rod
No zippers! Stop at the halfway point like I do and you'll see the window portion lays pretty flat.

Nice looking car by the way
Old 04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
f11
Instructor

Thanks! I just posted some pix on a new thread, as required by forum law

Rod's '97 C2 993

Rod
Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I like to do is open the top half way, push down (hand or cloth) the plastic window to get the crinkles out. I then lower the top a little at a time going from side to side making sure the cloth folds properly. make sure the cloth is moved away from the pins on either side or you will get pin marks. Those marks will turn into holes after time and then it's time for a new top.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by f11
Last November I traded my '91 C4 Cab 964 for a '97 C2 Cab 993. I love that the top can now be dropped while the engine is running (saving battery charge), but I see the zippering is different from the 964's cab top.
Huh? Why would anyone mess with the zippers on either the 964 cab you formerly owned or a 993 cab? I had a 964 for six years and never had any problems with creases other then ones that were temporary. Ditto the 993 I've had for five years.

As someone above mentioned, it isn't a bad idea to stop halfway down and make sure the window is folding nicely, and if you are really ****, perhaps insert a soft terry cloth towel to keep the window from rubbing on itself.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never done anything but pushed the button and let 'er go. The window always folds properly. It doesn't scratch itself. When the plastic window gets cloudy there are a few products that will clean it up. I used the ones made by Meguir with my old top. As far as the holes that can get punched in the top, I believe that is caused by a faulty bow (I think it's the fifth). My '89 cab was pretty much the same. Just push the button. Everything always folded properly.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 AM
f11
Instructor

Tonight when I put the top back up, the rear window was creased in the top corners, so for whatever reason, my plastic window won't just fold down on its own. It looks like the creases will smooth out on their own after being stretched, but I wouldn't want that to happen too often.

You guys all probably live where its warmer than here, so your plastic window is probably a lot more supple than it would be here. When I belonged to the local Miata club with my '90 Miata (also with a plastic window), we used to insert a foam pool "noodle" into the window when we lowered the top - the noodle helped prevent the curl radius from getting too small. The only problem is that if you forgot about the foam when you pulled the top back up (a manual effort from the driver's seat), it would pop out and fly away. Lots of members "lost their noodle" this way

Rod
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually put a soft towel into the fold to prevent scratching. Your 993 may need the hand break engaged to open and close the top.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 AM
f11
Instructor

Yeah, the top doesn't actuate if the handbrake isn't engaged.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:13 AM
sydneymark
Advanced

the only zipper I use is for the windstop / wind breaker ...which I leave on unless I have the kids in the back

If you have issue with the plastic rear windscreen ...I have just started using hindsight ...from the UK that cleans and lubes the palstic ...I cant verify as its only had one application ...mine wasnt too bad but want to keep it that way

http://www.hindsightuk.com/

What is more of a worry is
1. cables fraying and cutting the canopy
2. the 2 roof motors ..man are they expensive
3. or if improperly aligned ..I found the fuse would blow ...

I do most of my weekend driving with the roof down
Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys all probably live where its warmer than here, so your plastic window is probably a lot more supple than it would be here
The owners manual states that you should not operate the top below 40 deg F. I have rarely had the urge to ride top down at 41 deg F.

Quick Reply: New 993 C2 Cab Owner - How to Drop Top?