Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Would you buy a 993 with over 150, 000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Just as a point of comparison, my personal 993 cab has 154k miles on it and runs perfectly. Everything on it works and most people (including my mechanic) say it's looks like it only has 54k on it. I keep it up as needed, but to be honest, it hasn't needed much except routine maintenance. (oh, and I had to replace the convertible top). We bought it at 80k miles, got a full work up on it (full major service, checked out everything, compression, leak down, etc). It actually still has the origninal clutch that amazingly works fine.

I know of a few 200k + mile 993's that the owners have no issues with. I think expecting a 993 to go for $15k is a bit low, being that some 100+ mile 3.2 carreras still pull down $20k.

My suggestion would be to have a VERY THOROUGH PPI done, compression, leak down, etc, by a Rennlist or PCA recommended independent shop and proceed accordingly. (though, I recommend that to any Porsche you buy anyway...)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Just as a point of comparison, my personal 993 cab has 154k miles on it and runs perfectly. Everything on it works and most people (including my mechanic) say it's looks like it only has 54k on it. I keep it up as needed, but to be honest, it hasn't needed much except routine maintenance. (oh, and I had to replace the convertible top). We bought it at 80k miles, got a full work up on it (full major service, checked out everything, compression, leak down, etc). It actually still has the origninal clutch that amazingly works fine.

I know of a few 200k + mile 993's that the owners have no issues with. I think expecting a 993 to go for $15k is a bit low, being that some 100+ mile 3.2 carreras still pull down $20k.

My suggestion would be to have a VERY THOROUGH PPI done, compression, leak down, etc, by a Rennlist or PCA recommended independent shop and proceed accordingly. (though, I recommend that to any Porsche you buy anyway...)
+1

These cars are generally bullet-proof and will run a loooooooong time with proper care and maintenance. Seems like the 993 hasn't been around long enough to have any real statistically relevant data relative to longevity... maybe some of our distinguished experts can chime in on this point. I would guess though that our cars will run strong well into the 200k's as long as they're well cared for.

All i know is this... my current 993 with 4 times the mileage as my last one "feels" just as tight and strong. I recognize that I'm facing repairs that some lower mileage cars are not, but short of complete engine failure I feel like I'm way ahead of the game.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 993 with over 150, 000 miles?