Screw rolling around somewhere in dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Miker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Screw rolling around somewhere in dashboard

Hi,

I must have lost a screw, or other small piece of metal somewhere into the dashboard when working on the car, and now on hard cornering, I can hear it rolling from side to side.

Needless to say, this is getting really annoying. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the solution?

I have already removed the defroster vent cover to look inside, and found nothing by visual inspection, or by feeling inside with a magnet.

Thanks,

Miker
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

pull your tach. and try and see from there...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Supercups plus cat bypass? Or maybe try putting a neodymium ring magnet on a string and dropping it into the defroster vent or behind an instrument hole.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm
Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If it's in the dash, then looking in the defroster vent won't help. They're separate. I'd pop out the tach & speedo and look around. Then just remove the dash...it's easy. The only trick is the removing the nut in the center, but since you'll already have the tach & speedo out, access will be easy.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I share your pain. I had something loose in my Lexus that sounded like a washer sliding back and forth each time I turned a corner. I finally had enough, and one day when I had all day clear, I attacked the car. First I took the entire lower dash off, then the center console, next the AC duct under the console. Under that was the carpet, which I slit enough to reveal the floor pan. Lo and behold, there was a shiny quarter, which had probably been dropped into the shifter gate by my grandson.

Maybe if you plant several magnets at various places inside the dash and then drive the car around, it may trap the offending screw--hopefully it is ferrous...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Unless you know with 100% certainty how that screw got in and where that screw is, assume it can be anywhere behind the dash.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same screw (or other obect) rolling back and forth in my dash...as a matter of fact, if you listen closely, you can hear it going from side to side on some of my track vids. While my car is apart, I hope to find it and put it to its certain death.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
nikdog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem,IT DROVE ME CRAZY pulled both seats and found over a buck and a half around and under the electrical components, you also need to check inside the rails that the seats mount to (I put it all back together and still had one nickel in there that I didn't see the first time) It's quiet now
Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Supercups plus cat bypass? Or maybe try putting a neodymium ring magnet on a string and dropping it into the defroster vent or behind an instrument hole.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm
i like the first fixes mentioned
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your ash tray - mine had some loose change in it and it took a while to figure out the noise!

Quick Reply: Screw rolling around somewhere in dashboard