Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my wrecked 993, need parts and advice (color change? PSS9s?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 09:29 PM
midnite993
Racer

Default Rebuilding my wrecked 993, need parts and advice (color change? PSS9s?)

Hi All,

I've bought back my totalled 993 (for $5100 ) and have decided to rebuild it. My friend who does body work says it's a very easy fix. He will pull the body back to spec and do the bodywork/paint for around $3000. Here's the story:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/416861-my-993-is-totalled-should-i-rebuild-it-myself-or-part-it.html

As the car will have a salvage title, this car will be kept forever. This gives me the freedom to customize the car exactly how I want it. I'm already buying the Atiwe 3-spoke steering wheel from a Rennlister. I thought about going widebody, but decided I prefer the sleekness of the narrow body.

Please comment on these upgrade possibilities:

1. Color change - I really wanted an iris blue car originally, but gave up and bought a midnight blue car as iris blues are very rare. My body guy can do a super job painting the whole car for about $1000 more, figure another $200 to pull the windows. Awfully tempting to paint it Iris Blue...just a drop dead gorgeous color.

2. PSS9/PSS10 suspension - $2500 I've been reading about suspension upgrades here...since I have to replace one strut assembly anyway it's a perfect time to upgrade. The kit replaces the entire strut assemby, correct? Anyone have a used set for sale?

3. Euro front bumper - how hard are these to get ahold of and how much $ ?

If you know of any of these parts for sale please PM me:

1. passenger side door shell
2. passenger front fender
3. Aluminum A-Arm and tie rod.
4. Possibly wheel hub and brake rotors (needed a brake job anyway)
5. Possibly oil tank and oil lines.
6. New windshield $250 from a local shop.
Anything else I'm missing?

By the numbers I've run, I should be able to complete my dream 993 for around $15,000 total! Thanks for any parts leads or ideas for mods.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:32 PM
lthatch
Racer

Definitely change the color! Here's your chance to have EXACTLY what you want, even a one of a kind. I had a similar opportunity after am sandstorm damaged my 98 C2S's paint, but i cheaped out and banked the money. Now I wish I'd taken the risk.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry..... But I'd keep it the original color. You are not doing a complete strip on the car, thus do a complete color change wouldn't be realistic IMHI. I would do all the suspension mods and euro turbo front bumper. Go by LA Porsche Dismantler since you're in the LA area. Take a complete list with what you need and want and ask for Todd or Sara. I rebuild mine through them (twice) and had great luck..... Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:12 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many miles one the original suspension? If it is aver about 25 or 35k the PSS9/10 would be a good investment.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:15 PM
Scooter
Instructor

I have a non-turbo US front bumper if you are looking for non-turbo. A US bumper can be made into a Euro for a lot less $$$ than buying a Euro.

If you are looking for a Turbo Euro, you should also think about getting a US spec and converting it. Stealth993 did the conversion a couple of weeks ago. He posted the results here on RL.
Old 04-01-2008 | 12:30 AM
midnite993
Racer

My stock front bumper is just fine so I can just modify it like that post by Stealth993...great idea, thanks! The car still has the original suspension at 80,000+ miles, so it is definitely due for replacement. I checked with LA Dismantlers, but their prices are pretty steep for the items I want, particularly the fender ($1000) and the door ($650). I'm hoping to find a better deal somehow.
Old 04-01-2008 | 12:36 AM
Scooter
Instructor

Keep us posted on your progress. Lots of pics!
Old 04-01-2008 | 01:41 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

You should turn the car into a widebody speedster w/Turbo S fenders (last time I checked the cost was same as NB fenders at least for the Turbo rear fenders, but not sure about the Turbo S ones). The hardest part will be locating a speedster windshield and the top (optional...just don't drive in the rain) and clamshell...LAD has them from time to time but they usually ask full price. Yeah you'll have to cut off the roof but the car will have a salvage title anyways...stiffen the body with a roll cage, gut the interior, pare down the weight and get Volk lightweight wheels...would be fun car
Old 04-01-2008 | 03:17 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I agree with Chuck W about keeping the stock color. If you change it, you will always see the old color in the hard to paint areas unless you get totally crazy and strip everything. ($$)

I like my pss9s. Try to drive/ride in a few modded cars and see what character you want the car to have. Bilstein HD with the euro sport springs is nice as well for a street car as well. Get some m030 sport sway bars if you can.

Do the euro bumper (and turbo s lights) Some guys fill the light washer holes as well.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008 | 03:38 AM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by David in LA
You should turn the car into a widebody speedster w/Turbo S fenders (last time I checked the cost was same as NB fenders at least for the Turbo rear fenders, but not sure about the Turbo S ones). The hardest part will be locating a speedster windshield and the top (optional...just don't drive in the rain) and clamshell...LAD has them from time to time but they usually ask full price. Yeah you'll have to cut off the roof but the car will have a salvage title anyways...stiffen the body with a roll cage, gut the interior, pare down the weight and get Volk lightweight wheels...would be fun car
I would just go with the s-flares and rockers and then do the gt2 kit. Might be flimsy chopping the top.
Old 04-01-2008 | 06:36 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

I would definitely change to the color you want...for me if I ever was to change colors..I will go for the S4 Blue. I think it matches the 993 very well
Old 04-01-2008 | 08:12 AM
Peter R.
Pro

I wouldn't consider a color change unless you go for a full stripdown.
Old 04-01-2008 | 08:54 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

I'm scheduled in two weeks for the Euro front bumper/bumperette delete just like Stealth993 did. Could not justify the $$$ difference between purchasing a Euro front bumper verse's having the holes filled as part of the bumper respray.

Also going with the Turbo S fogs.
Old 04-01-2008 | 10:30 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

As far as the salvage title, that can be "fixed" https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/412432-help-i-just-found-out-my-car-has-a-salvage-title.html If you had bought the car new and had the same accident driving away from the dealership, the car would have been repaired, not totaled. From what I saw in the pics, you are going to end up with a fine car. Good move.

As far as painting the car Iris Blue, you will have to put up with a lot of people telling you how good the car looks. Very annoying. I ended up with Iris Blue by accident. I had an '89 cab and a '95 C2. I decided to got for the best of both and told my salesman to find me a C4 cab with a light interior. He called me and told me he had found an Iris Blue/Marble/Marble car. I had never heard of or seen Iris Blue, but trusted him and told him to get the car. First time I saw Iris Blue is when I picked it up. I got a ticket once and the officer wrote down that the car was purple. I told the judge that proved he was visually impaired but still had to pay the fine. Anyway, good luck with your project.
Old 04-01-2008 | 11:30 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I would stick with the original color as stated earlier unless your going to have it stripped down completely.

I like midnight blue.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my wrecked 993, need parts and advice (color change? PSS9s?)