Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Targa Glass Loose?

Hello All,

I really hate posting this.....I have searched and searched all the forums and can't seem to find the answer to this one.

I have worked on my Targa roof myself for the last year of ownership. I had everything disassembled for a repaint and reassembled with no problems. I fixed the sunshade and made all adjustments, again, no problems.

I developed a rattle about a month ago, so I tightened everything up and followed the TSB's. Rattle still there.....

The rattle is from the driver side where the deflector and top meet. It lessens when deflector is open and goes away as soon as top is opened slightly.

I believe the forward axle plates is the problem. When the top is opened, you can lift on the glass and it has some play in it. The little roller lifts off the channel. The plates themselves are tight to the glass.

The TSB's also mention a rubber bumper, I could not locate this part anywhere? Any ideas?

Amfab? Mike?
thanks!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an update to the front axle plates. The little axles get worn and jiggle in the slot of the front gate (see the Targa write up I did on pcarworkshop http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...the_Glass_Roof )

You will see the picture of the gate and the slot for the roof axle

Notice how near the "S" in Slot if you will see a worn area, and in the front lower part on the right there is one too. Those are from the roof axle sitting there the most, vibrating against the places where it is most often, full open or full closed. The older axles, the greeney-greyish-black ones, I think are a softer metal than the updated ones that are silver. I replaced mine recently and the old ones had lost about 1/16th if their size allowing them to jiggle more. However it didn't completely fix the problem. Mine slops up and down when open too. I am pretty sure its because of the worn slot. I don't have a problem when it is closed though.

So I think your problem may be because of the worn slot, although It maybe something else. There are little rubber bumpers in a few places, Ill do some more research.

The gate with the slot can be replaced, they are cheap, but the whole top would have to torn apart to do it. That process is insane. I was considering putting a dab of epoxy in the worn part, but it is so hard to get to while it is in the track. I'll get to messing with it , just a matter of time.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 186 Posts

Andrew,

Let me start off my saying "thank you" Not only for replying, not only for this AWESOME write up on pcarworkshop but for all your help during my repairs. You and Mike both have helped me immensely.

I had this entire roof apart while the car was being painted. Funny thing is that while I am working on it, everything seems fairly easy, like a big jigsaw puzzle. But once its back together for a couple of weeks, everything I learned goes out the window Its one of those designs that you really need to see and visualize in order to understand.

In any case, I have quieted the roof somewhat but now my wind noise as increased. I will study the info and and see what I come up with..

Thanks Again!!!

Quick Reply: Targa Glass Loose?