Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bummer Steve. To put it simply, you now have a 2WD car. Very unlikely the viscous coupling still works if they towed it on 2 wheels without a dolly.

First get them on record how the car was towed (or photograph them taking cars from the same place). Then take it to a dealer and get the proper torque test done (it's in the workshop manual). Then get an attorney.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
It is a scam, you can pass any day of the week and see them waiting in the wings for the next victim. It has been going on for ages.............
There..http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0310038.htm

Advanced towing works with people that prey on visitors. That is, once someone parks in a location, they hire commissioned look-outs to call in for a tow truck to steal a person's car, and subsequently empty your wallet with charges. It's a scam. I parked in a Wachovia bank lot at nearly 12am after traveling to see a live music show at the IOTA club (nowhere near bank operating hours) simply to have a coffee and late snack with my girlfriend at the silver diner before my 90 minute commute back to Baltimore, only to come out and my car was missing. There was no posting or warning of impending towing. I had to take a cab and pay $100 to get it out. I was told by the cabbie that this is a serious problem in the area. Not Baltimore, New York, Atlanta, Charlotte - BUT ARLINGTON!? Are you SERIOUS!????
I traveled from Baltimore, dump money into the community, only to be treated in such an underhanded manner. I assure you I will never return and subject myself to the same again. I have never seen anything like it. I was hurting no one! I suppose it is customary to treat out of town guests that bring revenue and spread their experiences to friends, family, and the internet in such a way. I may have been inconvenienced and lost $100, but you have lost any of my money and that of everyone that I can warn about your insidious behavior. I have written the legislature and media. The truth needs to be told and those uninformed, like i was, need to made aware!

Pete

Last edited by TRINITONY; 03-27-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I read your post and felt sick... literally... what a nightmare! I feel really bad for you. Can you tell me which restaurant/shopping center? I hang in Arlington all of the time.

Don't park in the Sport & Health spots in front of the IRS building in Skyline either without a sticker... my friend got his 928 towed from there in about 4 minutes...

I hope sincerely that it works out for you and all is OK.
Denise
Old 03-27-2008, 05:13 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Any update after the appointment?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
carolina2
1st Gear

If you know anybody at the IRS or even if you don't, call them and report this company. Would bet they aren't reporting all the income from towing. They were there too quickly. This happened to a friend of mine some years ago and it turned out the IRS was able collect some money. Some nerve, towing a Porsche. W ho do they think they are??!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Towing thieves suck. That's a fact. If you got towed in 5 minutes, that's screwed up.

OK, now that I've said that, I want to play devil's advocate.

According to the original poster's version of the events, he parked his car in a lot, and then left the lot to eat at a restaurant nearby.

Now, I'm not Perry Mason, but from a legal standpoint, don't the owner's of the lot have a right to have the car towed? After all, that lot is only supposed to be used by customers who are using the shopping center. It is not legal to leave your car on private property and go off and use businesses elsewhere, even if only for 5 minutes. Now, don't get me wrong; morally, to tow someone after 5 minutes makes them scum sucking pigs, but it seems to me if the owners of the lot had the car towed, the law would be on their side. Anyone know the rules on this?

Also, if this is true, then I imagine that if the car was towed incorrectly resulting in damage, the lot owners could say that A) the car should've not been parked there anyway, and any damage is due to the illegal parking of the car and B) the damage may have been pre-existing and there's no proof this tow caused that damage. It seems it would be up to the Porsche owner to prove that this tow caused the damage, no?

Legally, from my limited experience of the law, it seems the law would be on the property owners side. After all, the car was parked illegally. Any damage therefore sustained is a result of parking illegally and not the lot owner's responsibility. In any event, who ever had the car towed may be legally right, but morally is an ***.

Any lawyers or legal experts out there who can weigh in on this?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be useful ...

http://www.co.arlington.va.us/Depart...merTowing.aspx
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_towing_laws
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Man! Wikipedia has everything! I wonder if there is an article about a particular photo intersection that I dislike in Oceanside, CA
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

i believe -unless the property owner has given the right for the tow company to tow-it is illegal(tow cruising)-this has been a problem in england for some time
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I am guessing that the tow company is on solid legal footing as far as the tow goes. It is the method that they used that damaged the car. I would go to the dealer and have it checked. If there is a problem get it fixed and file suit in small claims court. Good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Steve,
I've been flat on my back for the last few days with severe lower back pain. Somehow I need to make it to an MRI appointment tomorrow.

With that said - this thread has kept my mind off my pain. I keep hoping that you'll update us with good news....

I'm dyin' over here man!

Andreas
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Towing thieves suck. According to the original poster's version of the events, he parked his car in a lot, and then left the lot to eat at a restaurant nearby.

Now, I'm not Perry Mason, but from a legal standpoint, don't the owner's of the lot have a right to have the car towed? After all, that lot is only supposed to be used by customers who are using the shopping center. It is not legal to leave your car on private property and go off and use businesses elsewhere, even if only for 5 minutes. Now, don't get me wrong; morally, to tow someone after 5 minutes makes them scum sucking pigs, but it seems to me if the owners of the lot had the car towed, the law would be on their side. Anyone know the rules on this?

Any lawyers or legal experts out there who can weigh in on this?
Andreas - sorry to hear about your back pain. Guess that's why you didn't return my call this morning about which dealer to go to...

Ok guys, I'm back. I called Tischer Porsche in Silver Spring MD first thing this morning and they were able to fit me in. I rushed over there and prayed for the best. They had their best air cooled guy (Rich Kyle) look the car over, put it up on a lift and drive it. He said there's nothing wrong with the car and as best he can tell, the viscous coupling thing is fine. Now... the other Eric suggested to have the "proper torque test done (it's in the workshop manual). " I'm guessing he didn't do this. I didn't know about this before I drove all the way over there today. Do I need to call him first thing in the morning and tell him to now do this too?

He spent about an hour looking at it but they didn't charge me anything. I think they felt sorry for me. They were pretty blown away this happened.

This is the restaurant where it happened (right next to the Westwood Shopping Center)

3217 Columbia Pike
Arlington, VA 22204

For the record, I DID leave the strip shopping center property for about 2 minutes simply to walk into this restaurant to ask them if it was ok to park there, and if not, where. They had this look of horror on their faces when I said I parked next door, literally about 50 feet away in the strip shopping center and said "They tow, they tow". When I came back into this restaurant later I noticed a big green sign on the side of the restaurant that said not to park there and inside the restaurant it said that they tow. I was on my cell phone for these 2-3 minutes as I first walked there and didn't even see the signs. Call me stupid but it could have happened to anyone or any of us! No one pays 100% attention all the time but I was surprised my buddy didn't notice the signs either. I am not the kind of guy that parks in a shopping center and walks off to go to another store. I would never knowingly risk my car like that, even for a minute. This was a bizarre situation where I wasn't on familiar turf and honestly didn't know that the restaurant wasn't part of the center as it seemed like it was (practically attached to it right next door).

I drove the car all day today and it drove fine. It DOES need new rear tires which I'm getting tomorrow at Radial Tire. They lasted an amazing 20K miles, Bridgestone S02's.

I can only hope they used a dolly on my car and it didn't hurt it. The Porsche tech that looked at the car today doubted that after inspecting it that this tow job did any damage to the viscous coupling.

I hope this guy is right...

Steve
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 AM
samsnead
Pro

Glad it all worked out.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by samsnead
Glad it all worked out.
Thanks alot, me too.

Steve

Quick Reply: 993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?