Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:08 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I'm a little late to the party, but incase this applies there and you need to use it: In Montreal, when a tow truck tows your car from a private lot and demands $100 to get your car back, it is considered "THEFT". They are not allowed to hold your car for randsom. They are suppose to give you your car back and send u an invoice, and you dont even have to pay that. The owner of the private lot should pay. The problem is 99% of the public do not know that, and the tow truck companies take advantage of it.

This happened to me and about 10 others. we all parked in a strip mall and took the subway to catch the F1 races, when we got back all the cars were gone. The cops came by and forced the towing company to give us our backs back for FREE, and threatened to press charges for "kidnapping" the cars. The tow truck co. quickly obliged....

anyways, if it doesnt help...GL..and let us know what happens.

Sam

ps..I HATE TOW TRUCK COMPANIES
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:20 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

The exact thing happen to me in Arlington back in the early 90's off of Washington Blvd. Went into restaurant to inquire about parking and car was gone in under 3 mins. Car was towed maybe a mile away etc. Next day I drove by and saw the tow truck around the corner Waiting for his next victim.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:23 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Before you go off the deep end you need to figure out how it was towed. 4WD cars get towed all the time and it can be done safely if they rig a dolly under the wheels. This is also frequently necessary for FWD cars that have the parking brake set so anything other than a real fly by night tow place has a dolly on their trucks. The dolly gets slipped under one set of wheels and jacks them off the ground. They then jack up the other end of your car on the wrecker and drag it on the dolly so the wheels never turn. I've seen a good tow guy rig a dolly in about 2-3 minutes so it's very probable that's how they towed your car and why they're so quick to dismiss your concerns. If they have dollies, and I'll bet they do, they will claim (rightly or wrongly) that they used it and it will be up to you to prove otherwise. In all probability they did use one and you have no damage (at least from the towing).
I've seen these suckers tow - ****** and run..
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:25 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Their operation was tiny, it was disgusting, there was trash all over the tiny little trailer that was the pay area and the lot was small as well.
Do not let appearances fool you! In a previous life I had as my next-door neighbor a Repo man. Just to put in in perspective, my ex and I had an income well into the 6-figure range at the time and we lived in an equivalent neighborhood...

I'm not sure I have the stamina, time or energy to sue this operator in small claims court...
Do the math once you have all your information. See if it is worth retaining an attorney. In an OT example, I last year had to completely rebuild the front of my 4 year old custom built house. I contacted a Real Estate attny who pointed out that even if I won a case against the former owner (who acted as his own general contractor= therefore the "culpable" one), collecting from him might be so painful/ impossible, plus the cost of the case would equal the cost of repairs AND I would still have to pay out of pocket for repairs.
In the end, I wrote out the checks for the repairs to save the hassle.
Has it been frustrating? Oh, heck yes!
Do I want to go to Sarasota and "take my frustrations out" on the former owner? You bet!
Will I? NEVER!

I learned my lessons and am moving on.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:14 PM
matt777
Drifting

[QUOTE=993C4Smontreal;5254296]I'm a little late to the party, but incase this applies there and you need to use it: In Montreal, when a tow truck tows your car from a private lot and demands $100 to get your car back, it is considered "THEFT". .../QUOTE]

I like that approach! It would be interesting to see how the police would treat this situation. How can the property manager prove you weren't visiting one of the tenants on the property? Aren't they required to ticket you first? They might have a hard time with this but whether it's worth chasing is another thing unless you can prove damage has been done. It sounds like the towing company is being more than opportunistic here.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:23 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

"he said they tow 100 cars a day and never had a problem."

At least they are experts.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:31 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

While you are waiting to sort this out...

Buy a bottle of scotch and go to iTunes and download a copy of Steve Goodman's Lincoln Car Pirates.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:39 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

How can they prove you werent in the parking lot your supposed to be in?

I have never been towed but I did get into a misunderstanding about painted lines in a parking spot in downtown San Jose Del Cabo (Cabo) where I parked. But after I got out of my car and a cop with an AK47 approached me and shook his head, I got the message and moved. The international language of AK47s and a full metal jacket is easy to understand.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:59 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

You can always contact Verizon, give them the location and approximate time and they may be able to help in locating the guy.
Barring that, people in the store might also be good witnesses as I am sure they see them do this all day long. If it is their common practice to use a dolly, then they probably used one for your car as well.
Last but not least, I would immediately contact the owner/leasing agent and talk to them (in a calm and reasonable voice) and explain the situation. You might also point out to them that they had no idea if you went to the restaurant to check out the menu only to return and shop in the stores.
In the event of damage, both the operator of the tow company as well as the leasing agent and the owner of the strip mall have a potential liability claim. Their insurance rates would go up and I am sure their deductible is greater than the amount you would claim.
That would be where I would go first. Let them figth it out with the operator. He will work with them to maintain his contract with them and preserve his financial pipeline.
Good luck.
Ron
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Not much to add, Steve, other than to say I feel your pain. I hope it all works out okay, my friend.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:45 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just get the car in the air, and spin a rear wheel. If the front wheel moves with it, the coupling is okay. If the front wheels don't move, you now own a C2 ... and you are looking at a major repair, engine out, the whole 9 yards.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:10 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

I bet they used a dolly. In fact, its probably better to get towed that way, than to see your car dragged onto a flat bed. My pickup was towed one time and I caught the tow truck driver dragging the locked wheels across the pavement and up the flat bed. I was so pissed I almost knocked his teeth out. I almost got my truck back, but a cop showed up after he saw the commotion screaming at the guy. He was honestly scared!

And dont forget the risk once the cars on the flatbed about the "dummy" chaining your car down on a flatbed by hooking into the aluminum suspension parts.

Last edited by tj90; 03-27-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

While that totally sucks, & seams like a scam, there watching the lot. I don't understand how any toe trunk can pick up any car in under 4min!!!

They might have put "dollies" under the rear tires, so they didn't touch the ground during the toe.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:15 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Hopefully they used dollies. Either way, I would feel EXTREMELY violated and INCENSED.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:33 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
While that totally sucks, & seams like a scam, there watching the lot. I don't understand how any toe trunk can pick up any car in under 4min!!!

They might have put "dollies" under the rear tires, so they didn't touch the ground during the toe.

It is a scam, you can pass any day of the week and see them waiting in the wings for the next victim. It has been going on for ages.............

Quick Reply: 993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?