Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I really appreciate everyone's info. You have no idea how much this is helping (and hurting). Man, I thought the $100 tow was financially damaging enough today. Now I'm really worried. So first course of business then would be to call the dealer first thing in the morning and set up an appt to have it checked out. I guess I should call the tow truck company in the morning as well and let them know that they could have damaged my car because it was an AWD and the car was in gear with the emergency brake on?

Is there anything else I should due? I'm not sure I have the stamina, time or energy to sue this operator in small claims court... Their operation was tiny, it was disgusting, there was trash all over the tiny little trailer that was the pay area and the lot was small as well. Strangely enough, they were directly across from a Mercedes Benz dealer's service dept.

Just when life was falling apart with my work, this had to happen. I know it could be alot worse, but it still stinks. What's the chance that absolutely nothing is wrong with my car after this incident? Any Vegas odds here? Something to hope for?

Steve R
Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

steve

Fretting won't do you any good now.

Call your dealer, and a very good lawyer, in the morning.

Remember any mechanical issue can be fixed. There are much worse things in the world you could be facing.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi

Remember any mechanical issue can be fixed. There are much worse things in the world you could be facing.
+1

Good luck with it though. This really sucks
Keep us updated.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sucks. There's a chance nothing's "broken," so-to-speak, but there certainly stresses and wear that the drivetrain shouldn't have had to handle in 2-4 miles.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
steve

Fretting won't do you any good now.

Call your dealer, and a very good lawyer, in the morning.

Thanks Mike, and Black 993. You're right... I'll make those 2 calls in the morning and see what happens. Compared to the 148 people that lost their lives in the Pentagon on 9/11 that I read about this morning in this memorial book while visiting there, this is hardly the end of the world.

Steve
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

This really sucks! I'm sorry to hear this... it's almost unimaginable that you were only gone for 4 min and they acted that fast. Best of luck with the 993 and I hope you will be able to find out definitively about any potential damage.

I agree with Mike and Black 993 and others.... don't let it get to you. Make the phone calls in the morning and take it a step at a time. In the end, we're all blessed to own these beautiful machines.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Get a written estimate from the dealer, then give it to a lawyer , they have to pay all the costs.
Tow truck companies and people who work there are the absolute lowest form of life.
Criminals, thugs, druggies. Nobody else wants that job.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 AM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks...
They may be more legally savvy than one may expect. I heard of lawyers who make a great living by representing towing companies.

Still, if no one complains and takes legal action against them then they will get worse and worse...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you go off the deep end you need to figure out how it was towed. 4WD cars get towed all the time and it can be done safely if they rig a dolly under the wheels. This is also frequently necessary for FWD cars that have the parking brake set so anything other than a real fly by night tow place has a dolly on their trucks. The dolly gets slipped under one set of wheels and jacks them off the ground. They then jack up the other end of your car on the wrecker and drag it on the dolly so the wheels never turn. I've seen a good tow guy rig a dolly in about 2-3 minutes so it's very probable that's how they towed your car and why they're so quick to dismiss your concerns. If they have dollies, and I'll bet they do, they will claim (rightly or wrongly) that they used it and it will be up to you to prove otherwise. In all probability they did use one and you have no damage (at least from the towing).
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 AM
md11plt
Pro

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Before you go off the deep end you need to figure out how it was towed. 4WD cars get towed all the time and it can be done safely if they rig a dolly under the wheels. This is also frequently necessary for FWD cars that have the parking brake set so anything other than a real fly by night tow place has a dolly on their trucks. The dolly gets slipped under one set of wheels and jacks them off the ground. They then jack up the other end of your car on the wrecker and drag it on the dolly so the wheels never turn. I've seen a good tow guy rig a dolly in about 2-3 minutes so it's very probable that's how they towed your car and why they're so quick to dismiss your concerns. If they have dollies, and I'll bet they do, they will claim (rightly or wrongly) that they used it and it will be up to you to prove otherwise. In all probability they did use one and you have no damage (at least from the towing).
What he said. There probably would have been a few new smells that would have told you if something was amiss. You seem to have gotten there pretty quickly. These guys do this all the time. I'm not saying that everything went perfectly with your car, but I can't imagine they didn't raise all four wheels before they towed it.

My wife worked at Dulles for a long time. I would frequently see cars getting towed and they always took all four wheels off the ground.

Thomas
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 AM
md11plt
Pro

For your reading pleasure:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39883

I'm sure a bunch of guys would be willing to get you a torque reading. Unfortunately, I am out of town so I can't help there.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars

+1 again!

If they did not use towing dollies, was the car towed from the front or the back? It would take a real dufus to tow with the rear wheels in contact, for with both the emergency brake on and engine in gear , towing would be a 'real drag'. If lifted from the rear and towed on the front wheels, the VC would suffer!
It is an engine and trans drop to get at the VC .... I've had one apart, and it is quite a job.
Here's hoping that they used the dolley - perhaps your witness could confirm this - for the towing truck will surely have them: the question is, were they used?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Tough break, Steve. I'd be steaming, too. Hope it turns out to be OK.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
+1 again!

If they did not use towing dollies, was the car towed from the front or the back? It would take a real dufus to tow with the rear wheels in contact, for with both the emergency brake on and engine in gear , towing would be a 'real drag'. If lifted from the rear and towed on the front wheels, the VC would suffer!
It is an engine and trans drop to get at the VC .... I've had one apart, and it is quite a job.
Here's hoping that they used the dolley - perhaps your witness could confirm this - for the towing truck will surely have them: the question is, were they used?
So maybe all is not lost here... I have no witness. The guy in the Verizon truck... I never got his name or #. I wasn't in the head space to do it at the time as I was just floored and angry. I just made an appt with my Porsche Dealer and they were nice enough to fit me in this morning!

Time to beat it on down the line and get it checked out.

Steve R
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Good luck Steve - let us know what you find out.

Andreas

Quick Reply: 993 towed after 5 min on lot! Could this have messed up anything? Ever happen to U?