Sponsored by:

Cab Windscreen Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cab Windscreen Question?

I would like to get the OEM windscreen for my convert. Seems like Suncoast is the place to go to get it brand new with all clips, screws, etc. My research tells me that finding a used one on ebay or Craigslist will cost me as much or more than new and I may end up needing additional parts.

The question is: how fast can you install and remove the screen from the car? I have two young sons (3 & 5) and they fit well in the back seats and ride back there often so I would be putting the screen in and out frequently if it isn't too difficult to do so. How far back toward the rear of the car does the screen fold? Maybe it wouldn't need to be removed for the little people to ride back there.

Looking for input from fellow cab owners. TIA
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The windscreen removes in seconds with the push of a button. It takes longer to put the removed screen into its storage sleeve. Yes, the screen also folds back but must be removed to accomodate passengers.

Last edited by Dudley; 03-30-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Because I have the memory of a knat.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

and I would price Sunset Imports in Or. if you go with new.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to second Mark. That's where I got mine.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Super easy. Not so easy to store if you have stuff in the boot, but that aside, it flops down in .5 seconds, or undoes and unzips in maybe a minute.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Kendal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my kids were 3 & 5 they sat in under the wind screen. Now that they are bigger I have to remove it when they get in. Not hard at all though.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
95cab
Instructor

Any possibility of a group buy?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
James K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any possibility of a group buy?
I would be interested as well. Top down season as arrived in NC.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Group Buy is not likely to be a benefit since it is a Porsche product. Your best price would usually be Sunset Imports (as long as you are not in Oregon). They charge a fixed % above cost and I have never seen OE parts available somewhere else for less... I have compared a lot.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Very small kids "might" fit under the screen. However, I would not recommend doing it.
It takes very little time to remove.
ron
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone think the windscreen would work with a roll bar installed? I could deal with adding/removing the screen each time I put the top down. I want to do some DE's and a roll bar is required.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Does anyone think the windscreen would work with a roll bar installed? I could deal with adding/removing the screen each time I put the top down. I want to do some DE's and a roll bar is required.
I've seen it done. There was a red 993 cab for sale on autotrader a while back. The car had higher miles, chrome blingy wheels and some other mods that didn't appeal to me, but it did have a nice rollbar powder coated guards red and he was still able to use the OEM windscreen. The bar was squeezed in between the seat and the windscreen. I thought it looked really cool actually.

I think it was the DAS "street" version. Just a 4 point bar with no cross members or harness bar. I'll look through my computer for a shot of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Das Sport bar installed in my Cab and it does not interfere with the Wind Screen at all.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 PM
95cab
Instructor

I spoke with Sunset Imports - they have two versions, one with the zip-in and one without, which raises a bunch of questions (never having seen one of these first hand):

1. The zipper appears to connect to the headliner at a point that is above the front seats when the top is up - do you zip and unzip this piece each time you raise/lower the top?
2. Without the zipped piece in place, does wind come in through the back seats, rendering the deflector useless (or less useful)?
3. Does anyone have one of these in a car with worn-out internal elastic on the cross-brace inside the convertible top? When putting the top down, I usually push this brace back into position to avoid further damage to the fabric from the (notorious) guide pins and would like to know if you can still reach back and do that if you have the screen in place.

Other than that, I think I'll be placing my order shortly!!

Then, new oil, new rubber, and get the season underway...

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95cab
I spoke with Sunset Imports - they have two versions, one with the zip-in and one without, which raises a bunch of questions (never having seen one of these first hand):

1. The zipper appears to connect to the headliner at a point that is above the front seats when the top is up - do you zip and unzip this piece each time you raise/lower the top?
2. Without the zipped piece in place, does wind come in through the back seats, rendering the deflector useless (or less useful)?
3. Does anyone have one of these in a car with worn-out internal elastic on the cross-brace inside the convertible top? When putting the top down, I usually push this brace back into position to avoid further damage to the fabric from the (notorious) guide pins and would like to know if you can still reach back and do that if you have the screen in place.

Other than that, I think I'll be placing my order shortly!!

Then, new oil, new rubber, and get the season underway...

Thanks.
How I understand it, the zip one connects to the headliner and the frame of the top itself, it just folds itself up inside against the headliner over your melon when you put the top up. I think the only "difficult" part about it is putting the boot on. You have to tuck the flap that normally tucks behind the seatbacks up under the boot itself. Hopefully that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Cab Windscreen Question?