Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 suspension theory question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 01:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
For my use, I have the front bar 1 off from full soft, and the rear bar is full stiff. Running motons with 400/600 lb springs. Car is super stiff but I still get a *tiny* amount of roll...just enough for transition for me.

Some might argue the car is too soft... ;-) see below... But the car is fast, easy to control, and believe it or not, I've been reducing the camber in the car and getting faster as well.

I think your bars might be to stiff &/or you don't have enough droop, or to high spring rates. You're lifting you inside tire, that's never good.

But what do I know...
Old 03-26-2008 | 04:26 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

I know it's a matter of debate, but even the best lift a tire.

I've gone back and forth with a few people regarding my car and the set up. It's a stock Carrera (minus suspension and tire upgrades) and it runs 2:10's at VIR (no aero). Like I said, the front bar is one off from full soft. Most people say I lift a tire because the car is too soft, but anybody who has seen the car or taken a ride with me knows the car is anything but soft.

I know I'd get a "lift' from somebody on the forum with that pic. :-D

FWIW, spring rates are 400/600 I believe. Stiff, but not cup car territory.
Old 03-26-2008 | 04:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I know it's a matter of debate, but even the best lift a tire.

I've gone back and forth with a few people regarding my car and the set up. It's a stock Carrera (minus suspension and tire upgrades) and it runs 2:10's at VIR (no aero). Like I said, the front bar is one off from full soft. Most people say I lift a tire because the car is too soft, but anybody who has seen the car or taken a ride with me knows the car is anything but soft.

I know I'd get a "lift' from somebody on the forum with that pic. :-D

FWIW, spring rates are 400/600 I believe. Stiff, but not cup car territory.

Humm, maybe not enough droop travel?

Really, we are just having fun, so does it really matter? If you are happy with it, then the car is set up for you.

I see most tire lift do to stiff bars, & low suspension travel.
Old 03-26-2008 | 08:05 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Oh, I totally agree, ALL about having fun. What works for one might not work for others.

As for sways, I'm using RS'. So...they are not the biggest sways I could put on there. However, you are correct, I have very little droop...but that's what I want. A nice stiff setup. I like a loose 911. Sounds funny I'm sure, but that's where I feel most comfortable. Nothing too snappy, but something that yields predictable oversteer.

I've been dialing in this car over the past 2 years and I'd say I'm pretty happy with it. You're completely right...it's a personal thing.

BTW, I beautiful C4S. Love the turbo twists on that car. I use the same for track wheels on the 993C2S.
Old 03-26-2008 | 08:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

You definitely want to limit travel for a track car, this keeps camber, track, and toe variations in the linear parts of the curve. Street cars need far more travel to deal w/ the visicitudes of street life.

My car is on 3 wheels just pulling into my driveway.
Old 03-26-2008 | 09:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You definitely want to limit travel for a track car, this keeps camber, track, and toe variations in the linear parts of the curve. Street cars need far more travel to deal w/ the visicitudes of street life.

My car is on 3 wheels just pulling into my driveway.
+1 and same here. If my floorjack doesnt work, I can always change a tire by driving up my driveway a little

Quick Reply: 993 suspension theory question