Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can have Steve Weiner flash your ECU to disable all (or part?) of the driveblock features
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then there's the rental cars that automatically locks the car after you start the car and put it in Drive. One of the top ten things that gets on my nerves.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recall the drive block system in my car ever locking the doors...

It only disables the engine.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never has happened to me neither. I do remember leaving the car running and the doors never locked by itself... something is definitely not right.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On any kind of long trip I always have a spare key in my pocket. The battery died on my only key one time leaving me with no way in to my car and a two mile walk to the nearest store for a new battery.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice pictures. Crazy story.

I was floored that you would leave the car sitting there idling, until I read that your wife was on station.

Have you inspected the areas where the AAA guy tried to gain access? Slim jims and the like have a nasty habit of marring window frames and the paint under the rain gutter....

This reinforces to me that I would only replace my early '95 with another early '95. Simplicity, in the form of no Drive Block, is a good thing.

Andreas
Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the possible solution to my problem.
I checked the pin this morning and it is rust free and operating properly.
I was hoping it was rusted, so I would be sure this caused the problem.
Thanks again for the thought.

Originally Posted by kkim
Check your door pin switch that makes the interior light go on/off when you open/close the door. If it has rusted and is not working properly, the drive block signal uses it to determine if the door has been opened or not. In your case, you unlocked the door with the engine running, the drive block may not have gotten a signal that the door had opened with the engine still running and automatically relocked the door after 20-30 seconds.

I had this same problem of the door mysteriously locking on occasion and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I was paranoid of being locked out of the car before I found the problem and even after, though it never did, once I fixed the door pin switch.

Hope this helps with your problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oor+pin+switch
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Andreas,
Crazy story? Crazy day.
I checked for damage as soon as I was able to open the door. Thankfully no paint scraps, no gasket damage.
A little vinyl cleaner cleaned off the marring.
Someone else posted that the Drive Block can be disabled through reflashing the ECU. I'm seriously considering that option after yesterday.

Thanks for the note.
Bob

Originally Posted by AOW162435

I was floored that you would leave the car sitting there idling, until I read that your wife was on station.

Have you inspected the areas where the AAA guy tried to gain access? Slim jims and the like have a nasty habit of marring window frames and the paint under the rain gutter....

This reinforces to me that I would only replace my early '95 with another early '95. Simplicity, in the form of no Drive Block, is a good thing.

Andreas
Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
+1 no drive block. Got stuck in my old cab once; fear drove me to carry an extra key fob everywhere I went. No worries now though
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Had this happen to me in my driveway, while I was shuffling cars around. Engine running, windows closed. Doors were locked when I returned to the car less than 1 minute after exited it. Intrigued by Richardew's post; I know I had the doors locked via the central locking button and just opened the driver's door to get out.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by air eater
Andreas,
Crazy story? Crazy day.
I checked for damage as soon as I was able to open the door. Thankfully no paint scraps, no gasket damage.
A little vinyl cleaner cleaned off the marring.
Someone else posted that the Drive Block can be disabled through reflashing the ECU. I'm seriously considering that option after yesterday.

Thanks for the note.
Bob
Me thinks I read somewhere Promotive had done it, of course when it's done the car will be always in 'ready mode'. Meaning it can be easily stolen...
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time my key is in the ignition is when I'm driving and no matter how short my stop is, I turn the car off and lock the doors as I exit.

You are very lucky someone didn't just use a rock on the window and take your car that day.
ZP44
Old 03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

You are lucky the car was still there! It would be so easy to break the glass and drive away.

Harry
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS man
You are lucky the car was still there! It would be so easy to break the glass and drive away.

Harry
I live in the wild west Harry. We all carry guns.
Even my petite wife carrys a hand gun permit and a 9 round Glock.
She "guarded" the idling car while I went home for the other set of keys.
Honestly, with the number of residents that were around, the car would have probably been safe unattended.
But common sense pervailed and my not too happy wife stayed behind with her warm handgun in her oversized D&B purse.
Thanks for the thought.
Bob
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

I see, the car was being attended to - you owe your wife big time!

Harry

Quick Reply: Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!