Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:46 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by kjr914
Just last weekend, I unlocked with the remote, opened the passenger door and kept it open. About 1 minute later, I heard the chuck (a "sometimes" satisfying, solid sound of the Porsche door locks activating). The passenger door was OPEN!!! I think that the dome light works properly off of that door, so it wasn't a broken door switch...
That's the exact scenario where I would suspect a bad passenger door switch leading the alarm system to think that no door had been opened and therefore to relock the car.
Old 03-29-2008 | 08:48 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by air eater
Someone else posted that the Drive Block can be disabled through reflashing the ECU. I'm seriously considering that option after yesterday.
That's only a partial solution that will stop the ECU from looking for the drive block signal before it allows the car to start. You would also need to remove the actual drive block unit and bypass the interupt it has for the DME relay.
Old 03-29-2008 | 10:55 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too late, but we should all know where the emergency access to the "trunk" is.
1) I would have disconnect the battery, so the car won't be running
2) also plan ahead and hide a spare key somewhere in the trunk.
Old 03-30-2008 | 09:49 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Did I already mentioned how much I hate Drive Block?

Is the only thing about my car that I don't like or trust. If there is a way of disabling it, I'd be all over it.
Old 03-30-2008 | 09:58 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

What drive block?
(another thread that should be referenced -- along with the SAI/OBDII threads -- in the often debated best 993 model-to-buy discussion)
Old 03-30-2008 | 10:34 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Novice
Too late, but we should all know where the emergency access to the "trunk" is.
2) also plan ahead and hide a spare key somewhere in the trunk.
Am I missing something here? I thought if the battery was disconnected while the car was running the car would continue to run. The alt. would make enough juice to keep it running, am I correct?
Old 03-30-2008 | 10:42 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by ninjabones
What drive block?
(another thread that should be referenced -- along with the SAI/OBDII threads -- in the often debated best 993 model-to-buy discussion)
I guess is the price to pay for Varioram.....
Old 03-30-2008 | 11:20 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I guess is the price to pay for Varioram.....
I think that pretty-much sums up the discussion: an imperceptible horsepower gain in a limited narrow rev range from varioram (which can be easily overcome with a Steve W. chip) vs. endless frustrations regarding CELs and meeting emissions testing requirements, and an annoying drive block/immobilizer. I would (and did) choose an early 95 every time. Do a search on the number of threads that 95 owners have started regarding a sense of inadequacy or lack of perceived power due to missing varioram vs. the number of posts on the drive block/immobilizer and SAI/CEL issues. I guess I'm feellin sassy today... not much discussion on the forum
Old 03-30-2008 | 11:45 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I think that pretty-much sums up the discussion: an imperceptible horsepower gain in a limited narrow rev range from varioram (which can be easily overcome with a Steve W. chip) vs. endless frustrations regarding CELs and meeting emissions testing requirements, and an annoying drive block/immobilizer. I would (and did) choose an early 95 every time. Do a search on the number of threads that 95 owners have started regarding a sense of inadequacy or lack of perceived power due to missing varioram vs. the number of posts on the drive block/immobilizer and SAI/CEL issues. I guess I'm feellin sassy today... not much discussion on the forum
Yes...you are so right on. Let's burn all 96-98 cars. They are worthless POS!!! I made such a mistake. Varioram is such a gimmick. I should have bought a 95!!

There...end of discussion.
Old 03-30-2008 | 12:01 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Am I missing something here? I thought if the battery was disconnected while the car was running the car would continue to run. The alt. would make enough juice to keep it running, am I correct?
There are many other ways to choke the engine. e.g. block the exhaust, and/or the fuel lines, after that remove the power, so the coil is not engerized.
also once you have the trunk opened, you have full access to the fuse box
Old 03-30-2008 | 12:06 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Correct; in fact it would probably fry the alternator. The solution would be to pull the fuel pump fuse or the DME relay.

Last edited by Felix; 03-30-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2008 | 01:15 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Yes...you are so right on. Let's burn all 96-98 cars. They are worthless POS!!! I made such a mistake. Varioram is such a gimmick. I should have bought a 95!!

There...end of discussion.
Jeez, and I thought no one would understand what I was saying
Old 03-30-2008 | 02:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Novice
There are many other ways to choke the engine. e.g. block the exhaust, and/or the fuel lines, after that remove the power, so the coil is not engerized.
also once you have the trunk opened, you have full access to the fuse box
I would just pull the DME relay but my comment was in response to your statement

Quick Reply: Drive Block : Self locking with car running and doors closed! WTF!