Checking in on child seat in 993 cab progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Checking in on child seat in 993 cab progress

There is periodically a flurry of activity on this topic, so I thought I'd stir it up again.

Any luck from anyone in installing either rear facing or forward facing child seats (talking small child here...25 lbs or thereabouts, so not the booster seats such as Starriser or Kids Plus from Gert).

There seem to be some solutions for coupes, but for cabriolets I haven't seen much. There is one install that involved using the BK harness mounts in lieu of the seatbelt mounts, and attaching with LATCH, but it required removal of the child seat bottom, which seems a little dicey in an accident, as it was likely tested only as a system.

In any case...anyone having any luck with child seats in the rear of a 993 cab?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only difference between cab and coupe is the lack of a top tether hardpoint, right?

So forget the top tether and focus on positioning lower anchor points as far back and far down as possible. The lap belt mounting points are too high up and too far forward. If you don't have a seat which you can modify, the best course of action would be to contact a welder/fabricator to custom fit a metal subframe where the bottom seat cushion would go. The subframe would bolt into the lap belt holes. Then put latch anchors on the subframe at the very back, and they'll be low enough to hold a car seat down tightly in both axes.

Or were you hoping someone would say, "the new xyz fits perfectly." Sorry, not going to happen.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The only difference between cab and coupe is the lack of a top tether hardpoint, right?

So forget the top tether and focus on positioning lower anchor points as far back and far down as possible. The lap belt mounting points are too high up and too far forward. If you don't have a seat which you can modify, the best course of action would be to contact a welder/fabricator to custom fit a metal subframe where the bottom seat cushion would go. The subframe would bolt into the lap belt holes. Then put latch anchors on the subframe at the very back, and they'll be low enough to hold a car seat down tightly in both axes.

Or were you hoping someone would say, "the new xyz fits perfectly." Sorry, not going to happen.
I could be wrong, but I think the cabs have that center section where the shoulder belts are mounted that is not present on the coupes. It seems to make the rear seats even less roomy than before. On the coupes, doesn't the shoulder belt mount on the outside of the seat and not the center section?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think the cabs have that center section where the shoulder belts are mounted that is not present on the coupes. It seems to make the rear seats even less roomy than before. On the coupes, doesn't the shoulder belt mount on the outside of the seat and not the center section?
You are unfortunately correct. The cab has a different, narrower, more upright (the cushions actually almost make it a negative recline), and there is a reversed setup with the seatbelts attached to the center and buckling at the sides instead of vice versa as per virtually all other cars.

Or were you hoping someone would say, "the new xyz fits perfectly."
Yeah, pretty much was hoping for that. Or "This, plus using the Latch / BK setup works great without modifying the seats."

Any takers?

Quick Reply: Checking in on child seat in 993 cab progress