Sponsored by:

Brake Vibration after wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake Vibration after wash

I washed the car a couple of weeks ago & put it away without my usual quick drive to dry out the brakes. As a result the pads rusted to the rotors & the car sat for about a week. This has happened before & it's never been an issue.

This time however, it took a bit more force to drive away &"break" the pads free. Now I have a vibration under braking. I have tried several med to high speed stops, dragging the brakes, etc... to smooth things out, but nothing is helping.

Any ideas? These are fresh pads with only about 300 street miles & 1 DE on them.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try several hard stops from 60mph. Brake as hard as you can without inducing the ABS, don't let the car come to a complete stop. Accelerate and repeat. If this doesn't cure it have a good look at the inside faces of the discs. My car had similar symptoms and I found large chunks of the disc (rotor) had actually broken of.

Good luck.

pp
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

You may have brake dust caked in the rotor holes. Take your car to a DIY car wash and run the high pressure sprayer close up at all the holes. Roll the car forward a quarter turn and blast the holes hidden by the caliper. If that does not work, you may have uneven pad deposit on the rotors from the new pads.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks..I tried that. Guess I need to pull the wheels & take a look. Your rotors had chunked? never heard of that happening.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

It happened to me just after I had new rotors and pads installed. I think the shop did not bed them in, so the first hard stop I did led to uneven pad deposit. Once that happened, no amount of bedding in or brake dragging I did at the beginning of a 4K mile trip did any good. When I got back, the shop lightly sanded the rotors and all was well again.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Mine always does this after a wash and inactivity. Goes away after a couple of hard stops.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine are usually harder to break free after a wash than any other car I've had. I usually dont let the car sit a week after a wash (drive it....make it dirty again!!) so I've never experienced it to that effect.

Quick Reply: Brake Vibration after wash