993 Forum 1995-1998

Weird issue, some one followed me home

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure your night vision, gun collection and dog put him off his petty ideas!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 386 Posts

Maybe the car talk was just a cover... maybe he was interested in you
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
993turboplease
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
It was a old guy in a honda Hybrid!

Anyway, I told him the story of the last break in attempt, where the car alarm went off, I ran out of the house chasing him, the best part, I was in my undies only & waving the Glock, as I shouted "I'm going to get you" & other things. Needles to say, I am no longer 20yo, & going from a deep sleep, to a full sprint down stairs, around the house & around the corner, did catch up with me the next day. Also it was 38deg out, & the house door locked behind me.

No, I didn't catch him, but scared the living crap out of him, still chased him, as he drove away in his Dodge Caravan.

Are you actually being serious here? You chased somebody down the road waving a handgun? You should move up here to Canada my friend. I chased a bunny off of my front lawn once.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

For those who are worried about proximity security, this product seems to work very well for not a ton of coin.

www.wilife.com

I don't live my life in paranoia, but I definitely know when somone is following me; sounds like a lot of you do, too. BTW, I'm sorry for the poor sentence structure in my first post.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-05-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I am a firm second amendment advocate, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA member, ccw holder and gun owner, I would never use deadly force to protect any of my material possessions, including my 993, unless the perpetrator confronted me and met the criteria (ability, opportunity, intent) for legal use of that force.

Nothing would suck more than a bad shoot then getting sued by his heirs resulting in you losing your 993 & possibly your house in the deal........................ZP44
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No one ever follows me home. I am absolutely 100% aware of who is behind me and would make a turn into another street before I would head to my house.
I'm the sane way. Several times I thought someone was following, but they just happen to be going the same way. One time I took 2 or 3 odd turns and backtracked - dude was still there. I did not go home, but stopped around the corner from my house and got out to ask dude if he had a problem. He was very embarrassed; turns out he thought I was a friend of his.

I did have a ticked off old man follow me once (because of my driving). I cruised around the hood until he got bored, than I went home.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a old Toyota Corolla follow me and it looked like it was full of thugs. There was a car in front of me and we were approaching a red light, suddenly the Toyota passed me and cut me off, four huge SWAT team members with guns drawn pulled the guy out of the car in front of me and slammed him on the ground. Imagine the outcome if I was too quick on the trigger? Sometimes your mind plays games, make sure always that you are 100% sure of what you are seeing.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, I told him the story of the last break in attempt, where the car alarm went off, I ran out of the house chasing him, the best part, I was in my undies only & waving the Glock, as I shouted "I'm going to get you" & other things. Needles to say, I am no longer 20yo, & going from a deep sleep, to a full sprint down stairs, around the house & around the corner, did catch up with me the next day. Also it was 38deg out, & the house door locked behind me.

No, I didn't catch him, but scared the living crap out of him, still chased him, as he drove away in his Dodge Caravan.
Maybe he is looking for a sugar daddy
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 341 Posts

Um...For many here, being in one's mid-50s doesn't qualify as being "old."

Additionally, being "old" doesn't disqualify one from being a criminal. People somehow equate criminal activity with young folks when in fact, the young folks committing the acts are often working for the "old" guy that cased your house.

If someone were to come back to your house, it wouldn't be the guy you spoke with.

Haven't times changed? Used to be that when a door-to-door salesman knocked on the door, he was on the lookout for a lonely housewife needing a little attention. Now he has to look for an paranoid home owner waving a Glock around.

Jeez....
Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

This guy's conduct in following you, asking you questions etc is nothing out of th ordinary for the region I live in. Sure I'd think that he was casing the joint but, dammit, people around here like to talk.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No one ever follows me home. I am absolutely 100% aware of who is behind me and would make a turn into another street before I would head to my house.
+10

Personally I would have embellished the security system detail, not given him accurate info and telling him there were features that aren't really there.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I acquired my car, the PO told me to always watch my rear view mirror when within 10 mins. or so of 'home' -- and to be 'especially suspicious' of any car that appears to be 'following'.

That was 3+ years ago, and I have always followed his advice. (He had a nice guards-red 911 stolen from him, so his thoughts are justified, IMHO.)

When I park the car, (e.g. when I go flying etc.) I place a self-contained 'motion-sensitive' video-camera on the back - between the rear speakers and looking foward. It records anyone 'taking a looksee' - and the wide-angle is good enuf to record any idiot who dings my car with their door.

Let's face it, our cars are our pride and joy, mine is to me anyways! The 'extra precaution' that I take _should_ ensure that I get to enjoy 'the blue bomber' for many years to come. All security is all a matter of 'layering'. I have no problem adding layers! (And I haven't even said anything about my garage security!)

Gerry
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Their spy camera could be very useful.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Their spy camera could be very useful.
I know. I'm really diggin' it.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 993turboplease
Are you actually being serious here? You chased somebody down the road waving a handgun? You should move up here to Canada my friend. I chased a bunny off of my front lawn once.
Yes, totally serious, it was a reaction, not formal thought. I saw it happening from my bedroom window, & just jumped up.

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Nothing would suck more than a bad shoot then getting sued by his heirs resulting in you losing your 993 & possibly your house in the deal........................ZP44
Not really to get into details, but I'm Ex-Military, & a expert marksman. Up to last year, used to train local law enforcement how to breach & enter buildings. I know the gun is much more powerful, when used with a firm voice & conviction. I also know how to run into a room full of people, pick out the bad guy & put one into his head. I wasn't so much going to shoot, but stop him, & wait for the Popo to come.

This was NOT in the 993's but my EVO, this was the 3rd time it was broken into, & 1 day, after I put in the new stereo from the last break in, that was almost $12,000 worth of damage to the car!

If I did want to shoot him, I would have been quiet, grabbed the LR-300 & just shot threw my bedroom window. I would not have missed.

Quick Reply: Weird issue, some one followed me home